Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any reason this antenna cant pickup CBS?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FenceMan

FenceMan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys, trying to finalize my setup, installer put in my HR10-250 but he didnt know how to work the signal strength meter for my OTA antenna. I can pickup all of my locals in HD except CBS (which is VHF as opposed to all others which are UHF). I live in Dyer, IN which is just outside of Chicago, I bought what I thought (according to antennaweb) was overkill, the thing is huge. Should I call and have a (hopefully) more qualified installer come out to fine tune it? I cant seem to focus on all of the good things that work well, I just keep dwelling on that one channel I dont have :nono2: . The installer I had claims that CBS is next to impossible to pickup in my area. Thank you very much.

Note that antenna is unobstructed and has a clear view far as I can see.

Also a side question, should the ground block be in my basement and not attached to anything? The guy has one of the wires that are attached to the coax attached to the ground block, but nothing goes from the ground block to ground??

Attached Thumbnails

• antenna.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

I can pickup all of my locals in HD except CBS (which is VHF as opposed to all others which are UHF). I live in Dyer, IN which is just outside of Chicago, I bought what I thought (according to antennaweb) was overkill, the thing is huge.

That is the right antenna to get WBBM. It is obviously aimed properly, or UHF wouldn't work right. To see what might be going on, try watching channel 2 analog. If it's snowy on the entire screen, look for a problem in the connections or a mistake connecting everything. If there is any noise, look for unusual patterns in the noise and compare them with the ones shown in the following TVI handbook.

http://www.kyes.com/...ce/tvibook.html

The book has suggestions for dealing with each type of interference.

In most cases the problem is line noise. Line noise can best be traced using a car radio tuned to an usused frequency near the bottom of the AM band. Listen for a loud buzz as you drive down your street. Once you find line noise and can trace it to a power pole, call the utility company.

#3 OFFLINE   FenceMan

FenceMan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

I get nothing on analog, in fact I cannot pick up CBS, NBC, or ABC analog (though NBC and ABC come in strong HD). I can get weak pictures for Fox and other analog UHF stations.

#4 OFFLINE   FenceMan

FenceMan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Ok this is incredibly strange, I was messing around and trying a different cable from the wall outlet to my TV and as I was unscrewing the cable CBS signal jumped to 71% and all others are about 5% stronger than they were. I am guessing the end of the coax wasnt put on properly?? Anyway all works as it should. Thanks for the help...

#5 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

So it sounds like cable ends maybe an issue. you may want to check to see if he used compression ends (best) or crimp ends (good). if he used pushed or screw on ends they are junk.

#6 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:29 AM

Also a side question, should the ground block be in my basement and not attached to anything? The guy has one of the wires that are attached to the coax attached to the ground block, but nothing goes from the ground block to ground??

It should be connected with a brass clamp to a cold water pipe.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

WBBM-DT in Chicago is VHF-3
Which means, it is EXTREMELY picky and difficult to pickup, the further you get away from the tower.
I am in Will-County Tinley Park.... just about as far as you are.

With my HR10-250... CBS WBBM-DT is nearly impossible to pickup.
If I UNPLUG my son's computer (not just power off). I can get it with about a 50+ signal strength. Unplug my Wife's laptop, and I can get into the 70's.... My son's computer plugged in, it drops to 20 if anything, and bounces all over the place.

With the H20... I get a solid signal (in the 60's) regardless what is plugged in.

All connections in my house are compression type. Wires are only 3 years old.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   FenceMan

FenceMan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:02 AM

I was reading about your situation in another thread, very weird. Since I messed with the cable end I have a solid signal on all OTA HD channels. The cable connections for the OTA were left over from Dish Net installer and they are crimp on ones, the DirecTV guy used all compression and you can tell the difference. I am going to get a compression kit and redo the old connections.

I am getting WBBM in the low 70's, the antenna I bought is HUGE (at the end it spans about 7') so I would be very disappointed if I couldnt pull in CBS. If I have the NFL Sunday Ticket with Superfan I will need WBBM if I want to watch the Bears as it will be blacked out over the satellite correct?

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

I have a 10' span on mine at it widest point
(attic install)

Usually yes, the Bears will be blocked on the superfan in HD, if you are in the DMA. You could get the upgraded to the AT9 Dish, and get an H20 receiver (sometimes even for free), and get the CBS signal from the SAT (what I am doing, since I get the CBS-NY feed on the HR10-250 for CSI and stuff like that)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   FenceMan

FenceMan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

I have a 10' span on mine at it widest point
(attic install)

You win :D

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

:)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...