Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dead Receiver - what would you do?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

I currently have an HR10-250 HDTivo and a Sony HD200 HDTV non-DVR receiver.

We had a near-miss lightning strike Thursday night that took out the Sony HD200 receiver. It still works for OTA but gets "No Signal" on the satellite side. Also, if I plug the phone line in it shorts the whole phone service. I haven't yet checked the satellite connections with another receiver (and I will before doing anything) but both on the HDTivo are fine so I suspect that these are fine as well. No multi-switch other than the one on the 3-LNB dish involved.

What would you do? I really don't want to sign up for a commitment now until I know what's going to happen with the new HD DVR. I'm seriously looking at going back to cable if I don't like the replacment for the HR10-250 (and don't bother telling me that it will still work - I want an HD DVR that gets ALL HD channels).

Do I find an "owned" Sony HD200 or HD300 available on eBay?
Do I see if DirecTV will replace it with an H20? Is it worth the commitment? What will it cost?
Do I hook up my old Sony A65 non-HD receiver for a few months and wait for the DirecTV future plans to solidify?

Thanks for advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

Call D* and get it relaced

#3 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

I would call customer retension and tell them your story and about you thinking about going back to cable. You might get the H20 for free but, they might make you sign up for a commitment. Also, I would ask them if they will give you some kind of deal for the new HR20 DVR when it comes out. If they will, make sure they note it in there computer so you get the deal when the HR20 comes out. It won't hurt to try and good luck!!

#4 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

I confirmed last night that the receiver is the problem - all ports on the LNB are OK.

#5 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

I would then call them and see what they will do for you to keep you as a customer and keep you happy. Good Luck!!

#6 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

I called.

I didn't push hard enough to get sent to Retention. I'll save that for later.

They offered:

1. HD receiver (not DVR) - $99 with a 2 year commitment "we can work on that price"
2. HD DVR (presumably HR10-250) - $399 plus shipping with a 2 year commitment

I'm not really interested in a commitment until I hear about the quality of the new HD DVR box, and whether or not I have a cost getting it. I'm getting close to being driven back to cable. Therefore, I'm really fighting a commitment.

Anybody have an owned HD receiver that they'd like to sell?

#7 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

I called.

I didn't push hard enough to get sent to Retention. I'll save that for later.

They offered:

1. HD receiver (not DVR) - $99 with a 2 year commitment "we can work on that price"
2. HD DVR (presumably HR10-250) - $399 plus shipping with a 2 year commitment

I'm not really interested in a commitment until I hear about the quality of the new HD DVR box, and whether or not I have a cost getting it. I'm getting close to being driven back to cable. Therefore, I'm really fighting a commitment.

Anybody have an owned HD receiver that they'd like to sell?

It was my understanding, that if you have an out of warranty HD receiver, and no protection plan, Tier II was supposed to offer you an HD replacment for s/h only (19.99) with a 2 year commitment. Other offers would follow if you got sent to retention.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

spam firewall