Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Amping the signal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   igator99

igator99

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

After fooling around with my OTA antenna and realizing how much the OTAHD signal behaved like a satellite signal I was wondering if hooking an amplifier like Radio Shacks outdoor amp would help with rain fade?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:57 AM

After fooling around with my OTA antenna and realizing how much the OTAHD signal behaved like a satellite signal I was wondering if hooking an amplifier like Radio Shacks outdoor amp would help with rain fade?

That depends on your antenna; three times nothing is still nothing.

If you are going to invest in an antenna, I highly recommend that you go for a VHF/UHF model as opposed to a UHF only model. It is likely that many stations currently broadcasting analog in the VHF band will move their digitals down to VHF after the transition to digital.

#3 OFFLINE   igator99

igator99

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

That depends on your antenna; three times nothing is still nothing.

If you are going to invest in an antenna, I highly recommend that you go for a VHF/UHF model as opposed to a UHF only model. It is likely that many stations currently broadcasting analog in the VHF band will move their digitals down to VHF after the transition to digital.

I guess I didn't explain myself well. I meant putting an amp on a satellite line before it hits a reciever. Would this work with rain fade or mess up an LNB or something?

#4 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

I guess I didn't explain myself well. I meant putting an amp on a satellite line before it hits a reciever. Would this work with rain fade or mess up an LNB or something?

An amp will only help if your cable run is longer that ~150 ft. Rain fade is due to lack of signal at the dish. The only way to over come rain fade is better alignment or a bigger dish.

Here another way to look at it.

Say your signal is like a nice 4x6 photo of your favorite girl. But then something happens and half the picture is torn off. If you take that picture over to the copying machine and blow it up by 2 times.... you still have half a picture!

It’s all about where the signal is collected. THE DISH! :eek2:
Scott T

[SIZE="1"]****************Directv*****************
SlimLine AU-9; (1) Zinwell 6x16 Multi-Switch; (1) HR20 HDDVR; (5) R15 Directv Plus; (1) R-10 DVR Tivo Unit

#5 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:18 AM

An amp will only help if your cable run is longer that ~150 ft. Rain fade is due to lack of signal at the dish. The only way to over come rain fade is better alignment or a bigger dish.

Here another way to look at it.

Say your signal is like a nice 4x6 photo of your favorite girl. But then something happens and half the picture is torn off. If you take that picture over to the copying machine and blow it up by 2 times.... you still have half a picture!

It’s all about where the signal is collected. THE DISH! :eek2:

Scott is right. Garbage in = garbage out. An inline amplifier will boost the existing signal to push it through a longer run but it cannot amplify a signal which isn't there. When the signal from the dish is gone, it's gone.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#6 OFFLINE   BigN

BigN

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

I had that radio shack amp hooked up to my line coming from my outdoor antenna on the roof back when my line had water in it and corroded. When my line was corroded it did help the signal. After I redid the whole line and put that amp on there again it over amped the signal and no stations. The amp may pull in some weak stations but when your watching stations that have a good signal it will over amp them and you wont get anything. If you having problem with getting locals get a larger outdoor antenna. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...