Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Programming Q for Phila Area

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cml

cml

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

This has been an ongoing bug up my butt since we 1st got DirecTV in 7/2000. Since I live in ''Comcast Country'', I don't get a local sports channel. I've gone round & round w/ DirecTV about the fact that everyone else in the country is getting one more channel for the same price I pay. The response I get is 'oh well'.

I've also repeatedly requested that, since they have the power, I would like an out of market channel to replace the missing local sports (husband would LOVE if I could manage to get YES).

Anyone else in the Philadelphia market have any luck getting anywhere?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

D* is NOT the one you should be "going round and round" with. You should direct the same amount of energy and passion to the FCC and your legislators to reverse the antiquated terrestial "loophole" in Philly once and for all.

As for your other suggestion-do you know how many contracts and league rules that would violate? Please, put the blame where it actually belongs-the lawmakers who screwed things up so many years ago. I can't even blame Comcra... err, Comcast. They're just taking advantage of what was given to them.

#3 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

D* is NOT the one you should be "going round and round" with.

Sure they are. In the Phila area with cable you can get all the sports channels, with Dish in the same area you get "TWO" RSN's but with DirecTV you get none.

Seems to me the problem is the way DirecTV interprets the law or they just want you to be forced to subscribe to their RSN package or one of the major sports packages.

#4 OFFLINE   PWenger

PWenger

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

I always thought they should offer one of the non-RSN Sports Pack channels to anyone who can't get an RSN...in other words, me in suburban Philly. Let us pick between CTV, ESPNU, FOX Soccer, whatever they call that horse racing channel, etc...

When News Corp. got control of D*, what I thought would happen is that they would program a FOX sports channel with all the stuff they sell to the RSNs...That Damn Sports Show, Canadian Football, college lacrosse...all the things not covered by blackout rules...and use that as the Philadelphia "Directv Sports Channel". Maybe I am naive about the business, but since they have to beam that stuff directly to the RSNs anyway, why not give the downtrodden a feed with at least some of the filler and news stuff.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Sure they are. In the Phila area with cable you can get all the sports channels, with Dish in the same area you get "TWO" RSN's but with DirecTV you get none.

I think you may need to reassess this.

I think you are in the NJ area. You might be able to receive FSN:NY and MSG on Dish Network. Those subscribers around suburban Philly can't get those channels not CSN.

I would like an out of market channel to replace the missing local sports (husband would LOVE if I could manage to get YES).

Assuming you live not far outside Philly, there is no way you can be given an alternative RSN.

The RSN's buy sports programming for a local area. Thus, YES buys Yankee programming, but only for the area they serve. Since Philadelphia is not considered local to New York by MLB, YES is out-of-market for Philly residents. The only way to get that programming is to purchase MLB Extra Innings, as it is the out-of-market sports package.

When News Corp. got control of D*, what I thought would happen is that they would program a FOX sports channel with all the stuff they sell to the RSNs...That Damn Sports Show, Canadian Football, college lacrosse...all the things not covered by blackout rules...and use that as the Philadelphia "Directv Sports Channel". Maybe I am naive about the business, but since they have to beam that stuff directly to the RSNs anyway, why not give the downtrodden a feed with at least some of the filler and news stuff.

I do agree with this. I thought there'd be a FOX Sports Philadelphia and a FOX Sports Mid-Atlantic.

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

But what good is a sports network without pro sports? Comcra... er, Comcast has all the pro sports sewn up in Philly and Masn has taken the place of a Mid Atlantic Fox sports net.

#7 OFFLINE   oldmanraver

oldmanraver

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

D* is NOT the one you should be "going round and round" with. You should direct the same amount of energy and passion to the FCC and your legislators to reverse the antiquated terrestial "loophole" in Philly once and for all.

Here is why complaining to FCC and our local officials would not have done any good..:mad:
www_freepress_net/news/16646 (replace the "_" with ".")

#8 OFFLINE   PWenger

PWenger

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

But what good is a sports network without pro sports? Comcra... er, Comcast has all the pro sports sewn up in Philly and Masn has taken the place of a Mid Atlantic Fox sports net.

Oh, I agree, its an inadequate solution...I want my Flyers, especially...but they did have NFL Europe, some college stuff, pro-lacrosse, and I think they called it "Behind the Helmet" documentaries that would have been a nice time passer on a Sunday afternoon. Now that NFL Europe is on NFL Network, I haven't missed having the channel as much, but I remember seeing adds for documentaries and college stuff on FOX during football season that it would have been nice to see. Comcast will hold onto the loophole like it was the last floating piece of the Titanic, but we forget that we also miss some mildly amusing stuff besides the pros.

#9 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

I think you may need to reassess this. I think you are in the NJ area. You might be able to receive FSN:NY and MSG on Dish Network.

I think your missing my point. With Comcast cable, and I have had it before, I could get all the RSN's for "both" Phila and NY. With Dish I can get 2 RSN's. With DirecTV I get ZERO.

Something is wrong somewhere.

#10 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

Got it. You'd need to complain to DirecTV that the contract they signed with FSN NY and MSG needs to include your area. Otherwise, I think you have to buy sports pack in order to get the games on those channels.

#11 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

This has been an ongoing bug up my butt since we 1st got DirecTV in 7/2000. Since I live in ''Comcast Country'', I don't get a local sports channel. I've gone round & round w/ DirecTV about the fact that everyone else in the country is getting one more channel for the same price I pay. The response I get is 'oh well'.

I've also repeatedly requested that, since they have the power, I would like an out of market channel to replace the missing local sports (husband would LOVE if I could manage to get YES).

Anyone else in the Philadelphia market have any luck getting anywhere?

only thing i can say is give comcast a call about coming back
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#12 OFFLINE   cml

cml

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

We live west of Phila, in the ''burbs''. Originally from the Lehigh Valley, I grew up with Fox NY & Fox Phila on standard cable (5 for NY & 13 for Phila). The primary reason we got D* was for the Sunday Ticket, since hubby had no way of seeing the Giants games each week. We moved 20 miles & lost the access to Fox NY.

If D* would at least offer something to replace the channel I don't get (I really don't care at this point what), I would be happy. And if they can't replace it, than I think that some sort of credit is in order (heck, give me the Biography Channel!!).

As for their lame excuses, this is the best: a few years ago I was blacked out of watching a Flyers game -- DirecTV claims that it was ''blackout rules''. Here's the rub with their explanation -- 1) it was an AWAY game, so I should have had access. 2) It was a PLAYOFF game, so I should have access. 3) It was a NATIONALLY TELEVISED game on ESPN, so I should have had access.

#13 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:28 AM

DirecTV's policys or how they interpret them varys from how Dish handles them in some areas. The Phila/NY/NJ area seems to be one of the main problem areas.

I cant get any RSN's with DirecTV but if I get cable I get both Phila and NY RSN's with ZERO blackouts, with Dish I would get two. Even if I do pay and get DirecTV's RSN package 100% of the games are blocked when with cable zero are blacked out. Never heard anything so screwed up.

DirecTV seems to try to push people to pay extra for their RSN package or one of the major league packages.

#14 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

We live west of Phila, in the ''burbs''. Originally from the Lehigh Valley, I grew up with Fox NY & Fox Phila on standard cable (5 for NY & 13 for Phila). The primary reason we got D* was for the Sunday Ticket, since hubby had no way of seeing the Giants games each week. We moved 20 miles & lost the access to Fox NY.

If D* would at least offer something to replace the channel I don't get (I really don't care at this point what), I would be happy. And if they can't replace it, than I think that some sort of credit is in order (heck, give me the Biography Channel!!).

As for their lame excuses, this is the best: a few years ago I was blacked out of watching a Flyers game -- DirecTV claims that it was ''blackout rules''. Here's the rub with their explanation -- 1) it was an AWAY game, so I should have had access. 2) It was a PLAYOFF game, so I should have access. 3) It was a NATIONALLY TELEVISED game on ESPN, so I should have had access.

You're missing the point of the blackout rules...if you live within the Flyers territory, ALL games that are televised by CSN Philly will be blacked out on any station other than CSN Philly. Since you can't get CSN Philly on DirecTV, you'd be SOL. Same goes for the Sixers and Phillies...

It doesn't matter if it's home/away, playoff/regular season, nationally televised or not...if it's on CSN Philly, they own the rights for that game in the Philadelphia area and that game will be blacked out on ANY OTHER CHANNEL it might be on.

spam firewall