Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish alignment meter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

Can someone recommend a meter that I can use to align a dish?

I don’t want to spend more than $75-100.
Scott T

[SIZE="1"]****************Directv*****************
SlimLine AU-9; (1) Zinwell 6x16 Multi-Switch; (1) HR20 HDDVR; (5) R15 Directv Plus; (1) R-10 DVR Tivo Unit

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:01 AM

look for SF-95, it's cost you $20

#3 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

Acutrac22 PRO, A little more than what you want to spend but saves you from calling for service

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:36 AM

I'd use a D11 an television before I wasted any mony on a cheap signal meter.:)

#5 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

I think the Channelmaster with the built in battery is the best value for the money. I have the single meter and have used it for 5 years. They cost about $140 new but I see them on ebay for $55-60. I dropped mine 10 feet off a roof onto a concrete driveway and it kept working. Somebody told me they were also good for beating off hostile Rotweilers.

#6 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

Toward upper end of your budget, but the Accutrac 22 Pro, available on eBay, new, buy-it-now price $99 + 19 ship. I know what you're wanting, and I think this will meet that expectation (won't measure the Ka birds but will get the 101, 110, 119)
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#7 OFFLINE   bpatt

bpatt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

hostile Rotweilers

Isn't that redundant? :D

#8 OFFLINE   Olevia37HD

Olevia37HD

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:40 PM

I've used channel master and Acutrac22 and like them both.
I've tried SF-95 and could never get them to work.
In NY you will spend more on one service call to have a dish reaimed then you will buying a meter. :eek2:
So to me its money well spent, nevermind I used to be an installer.
Good luck.

#9 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

THE accutrac22 WILL get the HD birds..

Hit the 13v and then the Attenuation in the menu.= BAM!

I used the accutrac for yrs (still got it and bought it when they 1st hit the shelf). Now im on a digisat 3 with external battery by choice.

The AT-9 though... i still use tha "ole whiner".. no digital nothin'.. = a needle and a tone! And definately NOT that cheating azz B-dog BS.

If a layman wants a good fair priced digital meter.. go on Ebay and buy the Digisat 3. You dont have to get the battery and can get it much cheaper w/o the battery.. Use the voltage from the IRD to feed the meter. The thing isnt even 1" thick hardly and is quit nice for the price. Only has (1) Lnb "in" feed as compared to the Accutrac duel lnb feed.(which i never used anyway on the accutrac). It has practically All of the accutrac features also.

EdIT: Get the digisat III (black in color) Not that blue Pro version w/ 3 (notice the way THREE is written in otherwards = III VS 3.

AFTER you guys get a meter.. the next thing IS get a pocket toner. (under 20 bucks). You have these (2) tools and a 7/16 wrench and some sort of way to find azimuth.. you'll Never have to call that 1800 rip off HSP again and pay some 70$ fee for some kid to come ACT like he knows what he is doing.

That toner will stop you from walking and WILL isolate any trouble you have at the Ground blk, MSW, and rec locations in the isolation of trouble point process with a simple loud tone noise. Most important tool for a sat tech searching for trouble ..period in my opinion (especially when ya get old and up and down a ladder and through an attic and under a house and and.. ect ect.. doesnt seem & Feel so right anymore (lol)... well that ALL goes away with a simple 20$ bill well spent on that toner)

spam firewall