Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Go DVR or stay with existing older receivers etc..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tbone2004

tbone2004

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

I see on several posts people not happy with their DVR's - I currently have two regular receivers and I am moving. I was planning on upgrading to DVRs and ditching the VCRs...but a lot of complaints about the DVR's - people wanting to return them, get out of contracts etc. What gives? Are these things the best things to get or are they too buggy and no where near perfected technology?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

1 think you have to remembers....

A vast majority of people that come to the forums, have issues with a product. Not all, but a good number.

The R15 has issues... Yes.... Does everyone have them... No...

If you can wait... hang tight to see what happens with the HR20
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

There are many different DVRs in the marketplace, TiVo, Replay, DISH and Directv DVR+ if you start with one and then change to a different one you maybe disappointed with the new features and loss of features from the old brand. They all allow you to record programs in your abscense with different levels of ease and convience and monthly cost. All are more convient than the good ole VCR and most that upgrade from standard receivers won't switch back. Try it you'll love it.

#4 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:49 AM

Give the DVR a try. Most complaints seem to come from people who have switched from one kind to another as boba said. If you get used to the way something works and then have to re-learn how to use the new device, it can get on your nerves. We really hate to change our habits.:)

DVRs make it easier to record than VCRs and hold so many more shows than a whole case of tapes, you won't believe it. I think DVRs really let you get more out of your satellite service by being able to record many shows at any time of the day for viewing later. All at the touch of a button, or a couple buttons anyway. I say go for the DVR, you'll wonder why you waited.

#5 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

I would use this poll as evidence that when folks go DVR, they're generally quite satisfied. I do watch some TV, Sports mostly, live or in the buffer. But, I couldn't go DVR-less again.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#6 ONLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

I have to agree. My tivo dvr died on me at the end of June, right in the middle of the world cup. I initially called D* to order a new one. They told me that it would be 3 - 5 business days until I got it. So, to suck it up, I moved my standard receiver from downstairs to the living room. After about 15 minutes (literally) I just couldn't take it anymore. When I pulled out a VHS tape to record the upcoming games (I was going to be out of town for some of the games), I just couldn't bring myself to set up the VCR... I called D*, cancelled my order, ran to CC and got the R15. I set it up in about 5 minutes, and after another 10 on the phone with D* I was up and running.

Does it have issues? Yes, it has some. Some folks seem to have REAL problems with it. I've been pretty lucky. I'm on my second R15, and I really like it (just got a second one for my family room). I'm generally optimistic, and I believe the units will get better and more stable as time goes on. One thing I have to say - when I first got my first DVR (the tivo that died) I thought I would end up watching more TV as a result. The truth is, I watch less. But it's much more flexible. I don't worry about making sure I'm in front of the TV at 10:00 for Good Eats anymore, e.g. It's now tied to my schedule, not the other way around. I also end up surfing less - since lots of stuff is recorded all the time, if I don't see anything on live tv that interests me, I'll pull up one of my recorded shows. Because of that, I enjoy watching tv more - it's like I got more time efficient with my tv watching. And you just can't beat pausing live TV, or having an instant replay button. Plus, when you watch something that's recorded, I love being able to skip past commercials. This works great, even for live tv. Say an hour-long show comes on at 10:00. I'll either record the show, or just set the tuner to that channel. Then I'll go off and do something for 20 minutes. I'll come back, and start the show from the beginning. When a commercial break happens I ffwd. By the time 11:00 rolls around, the show is over, and I've caught up with it. So I watch an hour show in 40 minutes.

Plus I think D* did one thing absolutely right with the R15 - it seems like the tuners in them are top quality. The picture quality I got when I first signed up for D* was good. It's much better now. Just my opinion, but if you're a standard user, you most likely won't hit any real issues (nothing beyond a minor annoyance here or there). Once you use one, it's really hard to go without.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

I'd say if you're coming from a VCR then the R15 will seem like magic. It does have problems to be sure but a lot of complaints are from former Tivo and Ultimate TV users that just don't like how the R15 works differently then they are used to.

DirecTV will get you an R15 as a free upgrade I believe so why not try it?
If you want an older Tivo unit you may be able to find one on e-Bay or a back shelf in an electronics store.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

I got my first DVR when I re-signed to D* a couple of weeks ago. They are installing my second (free) DVR on Tuesday. That tells you my opinion!

The best thing about them (which is something I did not anticipate,) is that previously I seldom taped anything because it was too time-consuming to hunt a tape and program the VCR. All you have to do with the DVR is use the guide and push the "R" button. You'll watch a lot more TV. And mine has worked perfectly.

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

You'll watch a lot more TV. And mine has worked perfectly.

Actually a lot of DVR users watch *less* TV. ;) I know I do. I only watch the shows I want to watch and only sit down maybe 3 nights a week to watch my shows. Instead of channel surfing for 4 hours a night I'm doing other "productive" things. :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:24 PM

Actually a lot of DVR users watch *less* TV. ;) I know I do. I only watch the shows I want to watch and only sit down maybe 3 nights a week to watch my shows. Instead of channel surfing for 4 hours a night I'm doing other "productive" things. :lol:

Agreed !!!

#11 OFFLINE   tbone2004

tbone2004

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

I got my first DVR when I re-signed to D* a couple of weeks ago. They are installing my second (free) DVR on Tuesday. That tells you my opinion!

The best thing about them (which is something I did not anticipate,) is that previously I seldom taped anything because it was too time-consuming to hunt a tape and program the VCR. All you have to do with the DVR is use the guide and push the "R" button. You'll watch a lot more TV. And mine has worked perfectly.

WOW! Great replies guys - you convinced me. I have almost wrenched the VCR completely from my wife's hands so these replies should help. I am also happy to see that you were able to do 2 free upgrades as that is my situation. We are moving - temporarily at the in-laws until house is ready :nono2: and that is what I hope to do when I land my first day at the new place.... Upgrade my 2 "regular" receivers to DVR's. And after reading many threads here - also going to take advantage of any retention specials I can. This is a great forum guys. Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:15 PM

Well, I never did that, because I never had that kind of time I had to depend upon something being on at the time I could watch it. I have never been one to watch TV just to be watching it.

Since my TV time and what I wanted to watch seldom coincided, I seldom saw anything!

#13 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

Actually a lot of DVR users watch *less* TV. I know I do. I only watch the shows I want to watch and only sit down maybe 3 nights a week to watch my shows. Instead of channel surfing for 4 hours a night I'm doing other "productive" things.

I'm curious to know what you're basing this on. My TV viewing has increased astronomically since I got a Tivo. I now have three HDTivos and one SD DTivo and probably have 40 or 50 season passes between them. Many of the shows are shown in the off-season so I'm not trying to keep up with that many of them at once. I rarely watch live TV anymore, except when there's a sporting event of interest that I'd like to watch. The time I spend watching TV does not include any commercials so I only spend about 40 minutes per one-hour of recorded programming actually watching TV. I watch more shows but spend less time viewing each one once the commercials have been bypassed. Tivo lets me watch what I want and when I want.

#14 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

The programming offered over the years has expanded greatly. The argument of good or bad programming could be made in another thread.

For me, there are a lot of programs that pique my interest. Having a fair number of DVRs, I can set things to record these and watch as I want at my convenience very little to no hassles.

If I had to use VCR's (with their limited space on tapes, only one recording option per VCR, the whole "channel changing" mess, can't watch anything on the tape if you happen to be recording another program on it), I would choose to not bother with a LOT of those programs that I may be interested in.

By having a DVR, I am watching a lot more Tv than I would otherwise - just a lot FEWER commercials!

#15 ONLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

I'm curious to know what you're basing this on. My TV viewing has increased astronomically since I got a Tivo. I now have three HDTivos and one SD DTivo and probably have 40 or 50 season passes between them. Many of the shows are shown in the off-season so I'm not trying to keep up with that many of them at once. I rarely watch live TV anymore, except when there's a sporting event of interest that I'd like to watch. The time I spend watching TV does not include any commercials so I only spend about 40 minutes per one-hour of recorded programming actually watching TV. I watch more shows but spend less time viewing each one once the commercials have been bypassed. Tivo lets me watch what I want and when I want.

We certainly found ourselves watching less TV - it's more focused now. The pattern used to be: put the kids to bed and surf around to find something to watch. We spent most of our time finding stuff to watch. Now, we put the kids to bed and we pick something from the MyVOD list.

Also, I used to have the TV more often waiting for a show to come on, so I wouldn't miss it. Or we would turn on the TV just to see what was coming up later that night to decide what to watch, requiring the TV to be on. Now it seems like we turn on the TV, when we're ready to watch something, and then watch it. And then the TV goes off. No more surfing, no more planning what's on... none of that. Well, I do still surf from time to time. BTW, one reason I like the R15 over the tivo is that I can do my tv show planning (figuring out what to record, and setting it up to record), and tv watching at the same time. I really like that feature.

#16 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

I'm curious to know what you're basing this on. My TV viewing has increased astronomically since I got a Tivo.

Spent a lot of time on the TivoCommunity. I've seen some news articles from time to time on it as well. Anyone I know that has a DVR like a Tivo also mention they watch less TV overall. As someone else mentioned, they watch more "focused" TV.

When I got my first Tivo back in 2000 I'd say yes, the amount of TV I watched went up. I was like "holy cow look at all this stuff". But after a couple months I came to realize that most of it was just plain crap and I had better things to do then watch this junk. So we settled into the core shows we like, try new things once in a while and stop watching shows we don't like (if we have like 10 episodes of a show recorded and just never have the desire to watch it then why in the heck are we still recording it? dump it!)

Some people however are TV junkies and I can certainly see their TV watching go up. Once you let go of the notion that I need to watch "whatever is on" from 8-11 every night it's a very huge life changing event.

#17 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

With my DVR usage and my personal preference of not watching anything live, I would say I watch many more actual different shows than before having a DVR but I don't spend any more time doing it.

3 hours sports can be gone thru in about an hour, 2 hour wrestling, award shows, Oscar's, etc... can be gone thru in 20-30 minutes as I only watch the acts I like, most 60 minute shows on TV can be gone thru in 30-40 minutes depending upon how much you skip.

The bottom line is I don't spend any more time watching TV, just the time spent is more constructive and I can blast thru more shows with the skip, FF in the same amount of time.

#18 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

I guess I had pretty much given up on TV as not having time for it...before the DVR, I probably averaged two hours per week.

Now I can see what I really want to see. It is kinda like "Why do you have all those channels when you only watch a few hours per week?"

It's to make sure I see something worth seeing in those precious hours!

#19 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

With my DVR usage and my personal preference of not watching anything live, I would say I watch many more actual different shows than before having a DVR but I don't spend any more time doing it.

3 hours sports can be gone thru in about an hour, 2 hour wrestling, award shows, Oscar's, etc... can be gone thru in 20-30 minutes as I only watch the acts I like, most 60 minute shows on TV can be gone thru in 30-40 minutes depending upon how much you skip.

The bottom line is I don't spend any more time watching TV, just the time spent is more constructive and I can blast thru more shows with the skip, FF in the same amount of time.

I agree, I work from 10 at night till 7 in the morning, I get home and watch 4 hours of tv but more shows then before.

I can watch a baseball game in about an hour to an hour and a half.(with the pirates being so bad I skip alot).
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#20 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:15 PM

I can watch a baseball game in about an hour to an hour and a half.

I do the same. I watched 3 preseason football games last night, total recording time 9 hours, in about 2 hours. ;) These are not my favorite team games which I watch a lot more of.

The actual game time, minus halftime and all the commercials and talk, is only 60 minutes each. If you skip thru every huddle and other slow times you can watch just about the entire game in 40 minutes.

spam firewall