Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Go DVR or stay with existing older receivers etc..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

I see on several posts people not happy with their DVR's - I currently have two regular receivers and I am moving. I was planning on upgrading to DVRs and ditching the VCRs...but a lot of complaints about the DVR's - people wanting to return them, get out of contracts etc. What gives? Are these things the best things to get or are they too buggy and no where near perfected technology?

Oh, get the DVR, no question. It'll change your life.

Especially if you get one of the free deals, I think the monthly charge is well worth it, even if it did nothing else beside letting you pause and rewind live TV. You will be amazed how liberating just that alone is.

Also realize that a lot of us who are complaining abou the R15 here (like me) are pretty demanding users, and are often comparing it to our OTHER DVR (like Tivo, in my case) which we love passionately.

We love our DVRs around here.

At a cost of 'free', the R15 is hard to beat, and it is truly improving, but it is NOT your only option for a DVR. Which DVR to get may be a matter of debate, but to get a DVR or not is a no-brainer: YES!

The biggest downside is that once you're used to it, when you're out somewhere
where you have to watch regular TV without a DVR, it feels like torture.

EDIT: SO I'm a little slow, I see that the OP already decided to try it 4 days ago. Well, I like what I wrote, so I'll leave it.
I hope the OP reports back after using the DVRs for a few days to tell us how he likes them!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

spam firewall