Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV for just the NFL season

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgloeckner

lgloeckner

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Hello. I moved outside of my favorite team's viewing area and I currently live in an apartment that gives its residents free cable with Mediacom. So, right now, I'm content with not paying anything a month for cable TV.

However, I have to be able to see NFL games this year and am looking for the cheapest route to go about getting the NFL Sunday Ticket from DirecTV for the four or five months of the NFL season.

I've checked DirecTV's website and noticed that in getting their satellite recievers, you sign into a 12 month lease. I would like to avoid that and wondered if I could order a receiver through eBay and use that to avoid the 12 month commitment.

Would this work? Or are there any other suggestions to help me out?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

It doesn't matter where you bought the receiver. There is a mandatory 12-month commitment for regular receivers and a 24-month stint for advanced (i.e. HD) receivers and DVRs. I do know that DTV will allow you to suspend your service rather that terminate it completely but I don't know if they will allow this while in a commitment period. You could always call DTV and ask to see what they say.

You might tell them that you have two homes and that you only want DTV at the one you reside in during football season. Perhaps they'll let you suspend your service when football season ends and pick it up again in the Fall. I doubt it but it never hurts to ask.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Search the forum regarding the suspension. I've never used it myself, so don't have first-hand knowledge, but I think I've read here that you can suspend for up to 9 months a year or something along that line and your "commitment clock" is still ticking during the suspension period.

By activating any receiver, as Captain Video mentions, you will be commiting to one or two years of programming service.

#4 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, you are part of the segment of the population discriminated against by being forced to buy Total Choice when you don't want it.

Read the thread titled: Small Mortgage for ST

Anyway.. Here are your options...

#1) Pay for D* during football season, then suspend your account after the season.

#2) Try to cancel Total Choice immediately and keep just NFLST. They will likely hit you with a costly fee for violating your contract. However, if you plan on keeping NFLST for many seasons, it's better to pay the fee upfront because Total Choice is extra $50 a month that you'll have to pay. That's $250 per season. So do that math, in 4 years D* will have stolen $1000 from you for something you never wanted or never watched. So it would be better to just pay the penalty.

#3) Call them, say you have the equipment, accept no free programming, accept no free installation, tell them you just want NFLST and nothing else and no commitment, get it in writing or record the conversastion where they say NO COMMITMENT NO CONTRACT. You'll probably fail here, but it worked for me a few years ago.
Try again and again if you fail. Sometimes you just get a CSR on the phone that gives you exactly what you want.

I have just NFLST. I used to be a D* subscriber and I completed my contract and cancelled. After you honor your contract you can cancel total choice but still keep NFLST. I actually canceled everything, but for some reason they kept my accout active and I was able to sign up again for just NFLST and nothing else. I've been doing this for many years now. Every Sunday I set my dish on my patio, run the wire through the window and watch football.

#5 OFFLINE   bluevoyager

bluevoyager

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

When will D* start brodcasting this in HD. I realize that they sometimes give you the game of the week but as popular as football is now it should be full time.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, you are part of the segment of the population discriminated against by being forced to buy Total Choice when you don't want it.

Read the thread titled: Small Mortgage for ST

Anyway.. Here are your options...

#1) Pay for D* during football season, then suspend your account after the season.

#2) Try to cancel Total Choice immediately and keep just NFLST. They will likely hit you with a costly fee for violating your contract. However, if you plan on keeping NFLST for many seasons, it's better to pay the fee upfront because Total Choice is extra $50 a month that you'll have to pay. That's $250 per season. So do that math, in 4 years D* will have stolen $1000 from you for something you never wanted or never watched. So it would be better to just pay the penalty.

#3) Call them, say you have the equipment, accept no free programming, accept no free installation, tell them you just want NFLST and nothing else and no commitment, get it in writing or record the conversastion where they say NO COMMITMENT NO CONTRACT. You'll probably fail here, but it worked for me a few years ago.
Try again and again if you fail. Sometimes you just get a CSR on the phone that gives you exactly what you want.

I have just NFLST. I used to be a D* subscriber and I completed my contract and cancelled. After you honor your contract you can cancel total choice but still keep NFLST. I actually canceled everything, but for some reason they kept my accout active and I was able to sign up again for just NFLST and nothing else. I've been doing this for many years now. Every Sunday I set my dish on my patio, run the wire through the window and watch football.

That was great before leasing but now you return the equipment when you cancel your qualifying package.:lol: :lol: :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

By your own equipment off of eBay and there should be no commitment fee. Also do the install yourself.

Also, D* is better than free cable :D
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

spam firewall