Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

multiswitch cascading options

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dr.Corvette

Dr.Corvette

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I did a quick search on multiswitches but didn't find the info I needed. Here's my question. I have Directv and am using the oval dish with 3 lnbs with the built in multiswitch. I also have a Zinwell SAM 4803 4x8 multiswitch. Problem is I have 1 more TV to hook up. Is there any multiswitch I could casacade from the SAM 4803? Are there any other ways I can add more lines without buying a new multiswitch? The cheapest I found was a Bestway 5x12 for 219.00.
Thanks for any help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

You can cascade one multiswitch from another, assuming the switches themselves are cascadable (I don't know about the specific ones you reference). Take 4 outputs from the first multiswitch and feed them into the inputs of the second multiswitch. You will now have 4 outputs available on the first, and 8 outputs available on the second.

The only other way would be to install a second dish and feed the other receiver from that. That might actually be more cost effective than another multiswitch, maybe not.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

You can also obtain 4 special 2050 Mhz two-way splitters, power-passing one leg only and drive the inputs of 2 separate multiswitches.

However, since the first multiswitch is built-into the dish, simply get yourself a new 5 x 8 multiswitch (5 in 8 out) and drive the 4 sat inputs off the existing 4 coax cables coming in from the dish. Input #5 is for an OTA antenna if you have one.

That will give you a grand total of 8 outputs.
The 5X 8 multiswitch (Eagle/Aspen, Zinwell, Terk, etc) all require 18 volts power.
I recommend using an amplified 8 port multiswitch because without amplification your signal loss across the multiswitch will be around 10 dB or greater per port.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#4 OFFLINE   Dr.Corvette

Dr.Corvette

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:56 PM

I tried cascading an old non powered 2x4 multiswitch from the Zinwell 4803. The receivers hooked up to the 2x4 switch could only see even number transponders. What I was hoping to see was that if someone had successfully cascaded from a Zinwell 4803.
I have a spare dish and might just have to install it. I was hoping to avoid this. :mad:

#5 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

Try switching the receivers to single LNB in the guided setup on the non-powered switch. That should fix it (unless you are trying to watch HD or anything on the non-101 stats, of course).
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#6 OFFLINE   Dr.Corvette

Dr.Corvette

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:10 AM

I had 2 older receivers[Sony A50 and B50] on the non powered switch. These receivers have no guided set up. I think they can only see the 101 Sat anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

I tried cascading an old non powered 2x4 multiswitch from the Zinwell 4803. The receivers hooked up to the 2x4 switch could only see even number transponders. What I was hoping to see was that if someone had successfully cascaded from a Zinwell 4803.
I have a spare dish and might just have to install it. I was hoping to avoid this. :mad:

I'm cascading a Zinwell 4803 into a non-powered 2x4 MS.....as long as you've connected two cables from the Zinwell to the 2x4 it should work fine (for receiving sat 101 only as already mentioned). You may have a bad connection or a faulty multiswitch.
Vin

spam firewall