Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

5LNB Dish and Local HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TexasAggie

TexasAggie

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

I live in Houston and was just about to pull the trigger this weekend, then I talked to a friend of mine that has D* and HD and after talking to him, I got a little disturbed.

He has the new 5LNB dish with the HD-DVR (HR-10 I think) and he claims that he cannot pick-up or record local HD stations. He said that D* CS said that there is a capatability issue between the two. So, D* gave him an additional HD receiver to pick up local HD stations when he wants to view them.

He has tried several over the air HD antennas, but since we live in an outlying suburb between Houston and Galveston, he cannot pick up the signal.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

I live in Houston and was just about to pull the trigger this weekend, then I talked to a friend of mine that has D* and HD and after talking to him, I got a little disturbed.

He has the new 5LNB dish with the HD-DVR (HR-10 I think) and he claims that he cannot pick-up or record local HD stations. He said that D* CS said that there is a capatability issue between the two. So, D* gave him an additional HD receiver to pick up local HD stations when he wants to view them.

He has tried several over the air HD antennas, but since we live in an outlying suburb between Houston and Galveston, he cannot pick up the signal.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The HR10-250 is not a MPEG4 receiver so it can't pickup the satellite delivered local HDTV channels. The HR20-250 expected to become available late in August is MPEG4 capable. As flat as the land is around Houston I would expect that OTA reception would be available with the right equipment.:)

#3 OFFLINE   TexasAggie

TexasAggie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

As flat as the land is around Houston I would expect that OTA reception would be available with the right equipment.:)

We live in Clear lake, around NASA, and we cannot even pick the ST well, especially NBC.

Thanks for the explanation of why the HR10 does not work. I will probably wait until the HR20's are available as I can't live without my DVR.

#4 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

We live in Clear lake, around NASA, and we cannot even pick the ST well, especially NBC.

Thanks for the explanation of why the HR10 does not work. I will probably wait until the HR20's are available as I can't live without my DVR.

The Houston transmitter sites, most of them anyway, are in Missouri City, which is almost due West from Clear Lake, approx 30 miles. I would think on a extra clear night you might be able to stand on your roof and see the strobes, at least with binoculars. What have you tried in the way of an OTA antenna? Anything besides the POS Terk antennas (which are absolutely worthless, IMO).

Radios Hack has a nice little 18-element UHF corner reflector for just under 30 bux that I would think if chimney-mounted would drag in those signals in mighty fine style.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...