Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Side by side DVRs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

I have had a R15-300 for 2 months and need an additional DVR to sit next to my current one. I have talked to D* tech support numerous times, including supervisors, about adding another R15. There seems to be two camps on whether I can do this or not.

One camp of tech support says that there will be NO problem. The other camp says that there will be a problem even though the DVRs are supposed to be able to work this way. This camp says the codes are the same for both DVRs so I would have to get up from being a couch potato:eek2: and block the eye of one of the DVRs in order to use the other. But the first camp said that would not have to occur if I went into setup, then remote, then clicked on "receiver mode" and chose AV1, etc. Then I would just use the one remote and the slide bar going from DTV to AV1. I don't really care if I have to use one remote or two.

But I need to know before purchasing another R15 if I will or won't have a problem. If I will, then I guess I'll need to purchase a R10.

I've read numerous posts on this site for awhile and really appreciate all the great advice here. :biggthump

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:12 PM

My R15 and my H20 are on top of each other and use the same remote. Using the method you described with the Receiver Mode settings everything gets along just fine. My H20 is the DTV setting, and the R15 is AV1. Just make sure you have one covered when doing the configuration so they don't both try to do the same thing. :)

#3 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

From the R15 FAQ:

Q. How can I control two R15’s, or an R15 and a D11, or an R15 and an H10, in the same room, with one remote?

Cover the IR sensor on one of the units (the one you want to control in the “DirecTV” mode). On the other unit, go to Remote Setup via MENU -> SETUP -> REMOTE SETUP -> RECEIVER MODE. On your remote, slide the selector switch to AV1 (or AV2). Pointed away from the receiver, press SELECT and MUTE at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds. Light will flash on the remote when ready. Enter code: 00002 on the remote. After it is entered, slide the remote selector back to the DirecTV mode. Press the left arrow to highlight Mode Select, press Select, then change the option to AV1 or AV2, then press DONE. Now uncover the IR sensor on the first unit. Now, when the slide switch is all the way to the left in the DirecTV mode, the remote will control the first unit, and when you slide it to the AV1 (or AV2) position, it will control the second unit. Note. If the remote does not control the second unit properly, you may have to use the controls on the front of the unit to change it back to the DirecTV mode, then try the process again.

Also note. If you do make this change on one of your units, when you do a reset of the unit, during the initial startup, the R15 will use the DirecTV mode until startup is completed and it restores the AV1 or AV2 setting. This would only be a concern if you are trying to do a forced software download, or some other action that requires you to use the remote during the startup process. In this case, slide the switch back to the DTV position.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#4 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thank you, cabanaboy. Where did you find the FAQ for the R15? I could certainly use that. (I have scoured the D* site and read the PDF but found nothing more than what's in the manual.) Also, have you actually tried this? I see that HockeyKat has, but he/she is using an R15 and an H20 and I wonder if this allows this setup to work better?

I'm just trying to be doubly careful since the techs at D* don't seem to agree whether this will work and I don't want to be stuck with an R15 when I could've have had an R10. I would rather just have the 2 R15s however.

#5 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

The F.A.Q. is right here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=58959
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#6 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

I don't know if having an R15 and an H20 together works better together than other possible setups, but they're both DTV products and both come with the same remote. The guide and basic non-DVR menu stuff of the H20 is the same as the R15. So, I'd assume that having two R15s together would pretty much have the same outcome, so you should be good to go with a second R15.

It's only frustrating for me when I try to RR the H20 for something I would have wanted to see again if it were the DVR version. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:27 AM

I have two R-15's on top of each other but I choose to use two different remotes, one set for each. I have so many other devices that if I set one remote to control both R-15's I cant control something else.

There are stickers (looks like a dice with 1 dot 2 dots, etc...)in the bag that came with the R-15 that you can put on the remote to distinguish one from the other.

Sometimes I do grab the wrong remote but not often.

#8 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

Thank you, cabanaboy. Where did you find the FAQ for the R15? I could certainly use that. (I have scoured the D* site and read the PDF but found nothing more than what's in the manual.) Also, have you actually tried this? I see that HockeyKat has, but he/she is using an R15 and an H20 and I wonder if this allows this setup to work better?

I'm just trying to be doubly careful since the techs at D* don't seem to agree whether this will work and I don't want to be stuck with an R15 when I could've have had an R10. I would rather just have the 2 R15s however.

NP, I haven't tried this but what Bobman is doing is almost the same thing. If you want to have two remotes you can do it that way and program one remote for each and then still have use of av1,av2, and TV on both remotes or you can combine them into one remote and lose av1 or av2. Either way this has been done by other people on this board and works ok so you shouldn't have any issues. I will most likely do what Bobman is doing when I get a HR20. Since I want to be able to control my Stereo, DVD, and TV with one remote.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#9 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

My 2 R15-300s are now working very well next to each other, thanks to all of your inputs and Earl's FAQ on the R15.

However, when the installer set up the second R15, he flip-flopped the way I wanted it set up. I wanted the left DVR to be the DTV one, and the right to be the AV1. But on the one remote he programmed, it's the reverse. I've been a bit confused as to how to switch these since at a given moment, both would have to be the same type (either both DTV or both AV1) until the programming of the remote was finished. Any suggestions? Could I just physically switch the 2 DVRs?

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

Probably physically swapping them is the easiest fix.

Otherwise, cover the IR sensor on one of the units while programming the other one. Then cover the other one and program the first.

Carl

p.s. - Earl gets and deserves a huge amount of credit around here. But he didn't write the FAQ. He did review and input to it though, and a lot of his research went into it. Cabanaboy and I wrote it.

Carl

#11 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

My apologies to Carl and Cabanaboy!!! Yes, Earl does get and deserve a lot of credit. But you are right to point out that there are many others on these forums that have contributed mightily to those of us struggling with all the complexities of DVRs and satellites. Thanks to Carl and Cabanaboy for writing the R15 FAQ and to helping me with my questions.

#12 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:45 AM

Earl does get and deserve a lot of credit.

Earl is great and MANY others too. ;) I have to say that I am a little disappointed with a few (no names) as right after the HD DVR was released they really vanished from the R-15 forum and (rumor has it) have even been telling people to forget about the R-15 and just get the HR20 instead.

Where does that leave the R-15 and if the main people here feel that way maybe DirecTV does too. Could be why the HR20 works so well from the start and the R-15 after 9 months of updates still has a long way to go.:mad:

#13 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

Any suggestions? Could I just physically switch the 2 DVRs?

Switching them like Carl said might be the easiest thing to do. Are you using both remotes? If not you could just setup the other remote to work the way you want rather then reprograming the one your using. Or are you using both remotes and trying to get both remotes to work the same way? If that's the case your going to have to reprogram one of them.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#14 OFFLINE   leo81948

leo81948

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Switching them like Carl said might be the easiest thing to do. Are you using both remotes? If not you could just setup the other remote to work the way you want rather then reprograming the one your using. Or are you using both remotes and trying to get both remotes to work the same way? If that's the case your going to have to reprogram one of them.

Currently I am just using the one remote, which I really like. But I would like to program both remotes to work the same so that I can take the other remote to my office where I can still see both DVRs and the TV. That way I would have a remote in the LR that controlled both DVRs, and an identical setup remote in my office. Since the installer had a bit of difficulty in setting up the remote, I've been reluctant to tackle it. But the installer was new, although he'd worked for Comcast and Dish and seemed pretty bright. I'm afraid I'll end up with nothing working. I'm sure it's just as simple as you've stated in your FAQ, Cabanaboy and Carl. The only reason I would prefer not to physically switch the DVRs is that I have all my SLs programmed already on the left side DVR which is where I want to keep them. So I guess I just have to bite the bullet and give the reprogramming of the remotes a try.

spam firewall