Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"The CW" on DirecTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

taz291819, an employee of a CW affiliate has posted on AVSForum.com that "The CW" has reached an agreement with DirecTV to provide SHVERA carriage... enabling those eligible for DNS a way to receive "The CW".

Currently, there is no word on whether or not there will be HD feeds.

Even though taz291819 posted this a few days ago, I haven't seen it posted on any DBS site, so I thought I would post it. The original thread on AVSForum.com is located here.

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

taz291819, an employee of a CW affiliate has posted on AVSForum.com that "The CW" has reached an agreement with DirecTV to provide SHVERA carriage... enabling those eligible for DNS a way to receive "The CW".

Currently, there is no word on whether or not there will be HD feeds.

Even though taz291819 posted this a few days ago, I haven't seen it posted on any DBS site, so I thought I would post it. The original thread on AVSForum.com is located here.

~Alan

Who watches the dumbed downed shows on the WB-UPN-CW huh?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

I watch Smallville Thank You Very Much :)
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Well, I will be watching more shows on "The CW" than I will on NBC and FOX combined, so me for one!!

Also, over the years, I have read MANY posts asking when DirecTV would offer a Distant WB, and they never did (unless you have LIL), but they will be offering a CW.

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,907 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

I love Veronica Mars, thank you. And, I'll be sure to mention your line to Weevil.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

well Mr Holtz I guess that you, I and Stephen King have something in common
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

My problem is that the WB is cable only in my area and I'm afraid that The CW will be the same. So let's hope DirecTV will offer The CW as a DNS or my CBS station (which owns our WB) will put The CW on a subchannel. No HD if that's the case.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:12 PM

I don't know why Directv doesn't just add WPIX for CW East and KTLA for CW West since it already carries the New York and LA stations in those cities anyway for the other networks. They could have already been carrying WPIX and KTLA as superstations, but they never will offer them.

#9 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

I don't know why Directv doesn't just add WPIX for CW East and KTLA for CW West since it already carries the New York and LA stations in those cities anyway for the other networks. They could have already been carrying WPIX and KTLA as superstations, but they never will offer them.

That is one of the major things I miss from having E*, the loss of my superstaion package.
:crying:

#10 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

me too. I think CW will be a heavily-watched channel because I enjoy several syndication shows and WB / UPN original programming.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#11 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

IMHO, the CW will still be an eternal #5, behind the "Big 4", but it will get a rating that is about 90% of what WB and UPN got, added together. I look forward to it, because in my area WB (right time) and UPN (dead of night) shared one station. It will be nice to not have to record UPN shows.

My Network, on the other hand, looks pretty lame. But, considering the NEWS Corp ownership, I would look for DirecTV to have it for areas unserved by an affiliate. In my area it will be on a local station's digital sideband.

#12 OFFLINE   Phroz

Phroz

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

OK, I have no clue what "SHVERA carriage" is, but...

Since I currently receive the WB and UPN locals from DirecTV, is it safe to assume I'll be receiving the CW come September?

#13 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:21 AM

Since I currently receive the WB and UPN locals from DirecTV, is it safe to assume I'll be receiving the CW come September?

It's probably safe to assume that you would receive the Standard Definition CW come September (a lot of the stations that are "becoming" CW are already broadcasting under that banner, I believe).

What I would certainly not count on seeing by September is receiving the High-Definition version of CW via DirecTv.

#14 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:28 AM

OK, I have no clue what "SHVERA carriage" is, but...

"SHVERA carriage" really isn't the right term, but what we are talking about is smaller markets. In most cases, if your market has 6 stations, no problem, as you would have one each of the six networks (NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, WB, and UPN, with one of the last two becoming CW and one MyN). However, not all markets have six stations.

From day one until late 2004 (for WB) and still (for UPN) DirecTV never took care of small market viewers w/o those stations, while DISH did (a major difference between the products).

#15 OFFLINE   Phroz

Phroz

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:05 AM

It's probably safe to assume that you would receive the Standard Definition CW come September (a lot of the stations that are "becoming" CW are already broadcasting under that banner, I believe).

What I would certainly not count on seeing by September is receiving the High-Definition version of CW via DirecTv.

Yeah, the WB station here is becoming CW and UPN will be MyNetwork. I just didn't know if DirecTV was suddenly going to stop carrying the stations or something. :P

HD locals aren't available here yet anyhow, so that's not a concern.

#16 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

I noticed this morning that the Atlanta station is using the CW logo.:eek2:

#17 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

The former UPN station in the Twin Cities has been using MyNetwork and the former WB station in the Twin Cities has been using CW for a time now as well.

#18 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:33 AM

Yeah, the WB station here is becoming CW and UPN will be MyNetwork.

here in pittsburgh the upn is becoming cw and wb is becoming mynetwork.
I guess they arent keeping cw with one network and mynetwork with another.
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#19 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

here in pittsburgh the upn is becoming cw and wb is becoming mynetwork.
I guess they arent keeping cw with one network and mynetwork with another.

Maybe it's the network with more viewers/better ratings?
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#20 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

Which station converts to what depends on ownership.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...