Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

South Asian Indian Channels Directv vs Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
941 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   prashp1

prashp1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:49 AM

Which is better to get for Indian channels....Directv or Dish Network? I know the HindiDirect is 6 channels for $29.99 for Directv vs 12 channels for $54.99 on Dish Network. In India Star Plus is #1 channel for 5 years in a row, which Directv has. Now Directv has NDTV 24x7, Star News, and Doordarshan India too. Dish Network has Sony, Zee, TV Asia, Sharah TV and News, & movie channels. Please help. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JKnight

JKnight

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

you'll soon also see Sahara Filmy on Directv as well, i think it might just be added to Hindi Direct Package. ur question depends what you want to watch, they offer some different programming.

#3 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

What happened to sahara filmy which was supposed to come in directv from this week?

Any update on this--when will it come and if yes will hindi direct pricing remain the same?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

Which is better to get for Indian channels....Directv or Dish Network? I know the HindiDirect is 6 channels for $29.99 for Directv vs 12 channels for $54.99 on Dish Network. In India Star Plus is #1 channel for 5 years in a row, which Directv has. Now Directv has NDTV 24x7, Star News, and Doordarshan India too. Dish Network has Sony, Zee, TV Asia, Sharah TV and News, & movie channels. Please help. Thanks

I have both.

Actually, I have the HindiDirect from DirecTV. I truly appreciate the 24x7 news channels like NDTV on this. Plus, having DD India is great too. I don't care a bit about MTV Desi or have only marginal interest about Star Plus.

Then I have Sony+TV Asia from DISH as well. Other family members truly care about some content on Sony. I could live without it. Parents, when they're here care about TV Asia a lot, especially the classic movie/music stuff. Actually, I don't mind some classic movies on TV Asia once in a while either. I absolutely, positively dig classic Hindi music - Mukesh/Rafi/Mannadey etc. (Explains why I hate the MTV Desi stuff.)

Anyway, I don't end up paying a whole lot for both. DISH is my main platform for all programming, with above 2 channels added on. DirecTV is almost an a-la-carte, because I took the DirecTV Basic tier (only $10 a month) and tacked on HindiDirect to it. I don't waste any money on duplicate/redundant programming.

Cool thing about having both DISH and DirecTV is that it gives me great cricket PPV options in the future. Around the time Ashes start, I think I'll subscribe to DirecTV CricketTicket India Half. Then there are some cricket PPV events which are exclusive to DISH. If India are involved in any of them, or I just find them very interesting I might consider subscribing them as well.

#5 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

Chandu,

Iam somewhat similar execpt - directv is my base (english+hindi direct) and dish for sun tv (tamil channel)

NDTV is my fav channel and couple of good movies in star and sun.

As u said we can watch PPV cricket which comes on both channels but i guess directv is better in the sense champions trophy and world cup will be coming here.

My question now is:

do u have superDISH and if yes have u watched "south asia world" channel which i heard is very good (aka cnbc india)???

It used to come in superdish and now am not sure???

pls respond.

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

What happened to sahara filmy which was supposed to come in directv from this week?

Any update on this--when will it come and if yes will hindi direct pricing remain the same?

Thanks

It's coming VERY SOON.

#7 OFFLINE   prashp1

prashp1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

Sahara filmy is now going to be launched from Sept 14 or so I heard. Hindidirect pricing is going to change from what I heard, from $29.99 to $39.99. Also it will be availabe as a la carte for $19.99 I heard.

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Chandu,

Iam somewhat similar execpt - directv is my base (english+hindi direct) and dish for sun tv (tamil channel)

NDTV is my fav channel and couple of good movies in star and sun.

As u said we can watch PPV cricket which comes on both channels but i guess directv is better in the sense champions trophy and world cup will be coming here.

My question now is:

do u have superDISH and if yes have u watched "south asia world" channel which i heard is very good (aka cnbc india)???

It used to come in superdish and now am not sure???

pls respond.

Thanks

No, I don't have SuperDISH, just a DISH 500 pointing to 119 (I think). And don't have CNBC India or South Asia World. Just those 2 channels I mentioned.

Also, if whatever this Sahara Filmy comes onto my Hindi Direct and I'm not interested in it, I won't be happy with an increased price. I'll let DirecTV know about it by dropping HindiDirect. Hopefully they'll provide it as an option to include it.

#9 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

I agree with you chandu.

I also wont be taking up Sahara fily if it comes with increased price.

#10 OFFLINE   prashp1

prashp1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:00 PM

Sahara Filmy is now showing on channel 2008. Enjoy :)

Sahara filmy is now going to be launched from Sept 14 or so I heard. Hindidirect pricing is going to change from what I heard, from $29.99 to $39.99. Also it will be availabe as a la carte for $19.99 I heard.

#11 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

Chandu,

Have u subscribed to Tri series and/or champions trophy in E*?

DTV is expensive for champions trophy!!!!

Prash,
Thanks for the update

#12 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

So they don't have the bandwidth to add MTV-HD or National Geographic-HD, but they have room to add Hindi programming?!?!?

#13 OFFLINE   praneeth

praneeth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

Chandu,

Have u subscribed to Tri series and/or champions trophy in E*?

DTV is expensive for champions trophy!!!!

Prash,
Thanks for the update

DTV is $50 more expensive than Dish but if you speak to a CSR and point out that Dish is providing the exact same series for $50 less, they will give you a credit on your bill. It worked for me but I can't say if they will do this as a general rule.

#14 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

So they don't have the bandwidth to add MTV-HD or National Geographic-HD, but they have room to add Hindi programming?!?!?

HD programming is carried on the 119 and 110 satellites, and (almost) all International programming is carried on the 95 sat-two completely different birds. BTW, I heard something about D* moving the last remaining Chinese package on the 119 to the 95 soon. Perhaps they are making room for the channels you seek (but I hope it'll by HGTV-HD instead of MHD!)

#15 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

Dish is giving champions trophy for $100 which is less than directv $200.

I have gone with dish.

Do you guys know about "south asia world" channel?

Prashp...can you contact the same directvguy which u did for sahara and let us know if SAW is going to come on directv???

Thanks for the response

#16 OFFLINE   prashp1

prashp1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

Sahara Filmy is now showing on channel 2008. Enjoy :)

Directv website has hindi direct II now. Which is priced at $39.99 with Filmy. Also you can get Filmy as a la carte for $19.99.

#17 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

Iam hearing that euronews is on the way in dish (probably 902)....any updates on this??

when is it coming and whether will it come in directv as well???

#18 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

http://indiantelevis...6/nov/nov38.htm

US on directv will follow UK on bskyb i guess???

#19 OFFLINE   prashp1

prashp1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Cricket Plus is now showing on channel 2024. Enjoy :)

#20 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

Do you guys know about "south asia world" channel?

Prashp...can you contact the same directvguy which u did for sahara and let us know if SAW is going to come on directv???

Thanks for the response

South Asia World (SAW) is finished....

Details: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=69879

Protected By... spam firewall...And...