Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

South Asian Indian Channels Directv vs Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
941 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

DTV is $50 more expensive than Dish but if you speak to a CSR and point out that Dish is providing the exact same series for $50 less, they will give you a credit on your bill. It worked for me but I can't say if they will do this as a general rule.

Praneeth,

Which satellite/channels was the Champions Trophy shown on on DTV?

As a displaced Aussie, I want to watch the Ashes, but I don't speak Hindi or other non-English languages.... so I don't subscribe to any international package, nor have a 36x24" dish. Up until Jan/Feb of this year, DTV's PPV cricket coverage was on Sat 101 (channels 117-119), so I got these with my standard DTV setup.

I didn't plan to subscribe to Champions Trophy, as I was travelling a lot, but when some prelim games were on, I couldn't find them on my guide. Has all the cricket migrated to Sat 95 now?

Just wondering if I have to get one of my spare 18" dishes pointed at 95, and multiswitch in the equation, before next Wed night!

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

Looks like Directv is giving Dish a run for its money in South Asian International programming:

CricketPlus is an awesome channel given free as part of hindi direct.

They have 2 hours same day highlights of all matches that are shown in DTV on PPV.

Also they are showing all time great classic cricket matches!!!!

Iam also hearing that Star Gold is going to come very soon (its coming to UK this month end) and when this happens....more customers will move to DTV sinnce

STAR (plus,one,news,gold) + NDTV+Cricketplus is much better than 15+ channels on E*

Also i see from satelliteguys (Scot) that some internationals from E* are moving to DTV...dont know which all..we need to wait and see

I have asked Scot for details and will keep u posted.

#23 OFFLINE   mhmaleman

mhmaleman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

Hello all:

Good for DirecTV to launch the CricketPlus channel in the US.

So there hads been a lot of talk about wasting bandwidth of the DTV satellites. Now think about this, 120-180 channels for 40-50 USD/month, or 14.99/channel and more for packages for the international and PPC channels/ The margins and markups on these channels and cricket PPV events are much higher than the local channels/packages. ewer viewers maybe, but larger margins. Just plain common economic sense.

I do agree that the Cricket Plus channels should be offered a-la-carte. I have no interest in the Hindi programming package.

AS for cricket lovers and viewers, a coupld of questions:

I noticed that the Cricketplus.tv websitee listed the matches between India and South Africa, and the Ashes. Now are these live events or replays? I understand CricetDirect is shoing the Ashes and the India/South Africa live. Just trying to fugure out if I need on or both? wondering if I need one or both???

Thanks.

#24 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:52 AM

Hello all:

Good for DirecTV to launch the CricketPlus channel in the US.

So there hads been a lot of talk about wasting bandwidth of the DTV satellites. Now think about this, 120-180 channels for 40-50 USD/month, or 14.99/channel and more for packages for the international and PPC channels/ The margins and markups on these channels and cricket PPV events are much higher than the local channels/packages. ewer viewers maybe, but larger margins. Just plain common economic sense.

I do agree that the Cricket Plus channels should be offered a-la-carte. I have no interest in the Hindi programming package.

AS for cricket lovers and viewers, a coupld of questions:

I noticed that the Cricketplus.tv websitee listed the matches between India and South Africa, and the Ashes. Now are these live events or replays? I understand CricetDirect is shoing the Ashes and the India/South Africa live. Just trying to fugure out if I need on or both? wondering if I need one or both???

Thanks.

cricketplus will show only highlights of ind sa and ashes.

the live matches are on PPV.

#25 OFFLINE   oosha

oosha

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi all,
i'am trying to get some contact info either from Starplus usa or DirectvHindi to change the timings of Kaun Banega Crorepati, 10PM EST

Here on the East coast it air's at 10 pm WHICH IS NO GOOD. can't stay awake so late.
it not worth if we cannot watch such a good show so late , if any onelse are of the same opinion please help me find out the corroect contact information of the relay of this great show. we can put in a request for change of time.

i want to know who is the concern agency, whom we should forward our request is it DIRECTVHINDI OR STARPLUSUSA?

there is no starplus usa website they have UK but no USA?

help me out here ..................

oosha

#26 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

Has directv addedMTV India in channel 2006?

#27 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:44 AM

Has directv addedMTV India in channel 2006?

Yes. http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200035

Why can't Dish get this channel?

Rasheed

#28 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

Yes. http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200035

Why can't Dish get this channel?

Rasheed

I think Viacom (the owners of MTV) and E* dont have a good relationship - thats why they could have signed exclusive deal with Directv.

#29 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:32 AM

Alright mates, I know this is not DirecTV related, but cricket related nonetheless. I know most of us crazy ones aren't really loyal to a platform like DISH or DirecTV. We are loyal to the sport. I even know bunch of us subscribe to multiple platforms.

Considering this, here is new information which would be of interest to you. There is a new channel started on DISH called Zee Sport America (channel number 576) which is right now in free preview mode. This channel will be showing whole bunch of cricket which DISH had acquired rights to. (Meaning all of ICC international cricket - whatever DirecTV's Cricket Ticket showed.) Put it other way, if you had DirecTV Cricket Ticket + Zee Sport America from DISH you would have the whole enchilada.

(I know that in Canada they do have a single channel called ATN-CBN which stands for Asian Television Network - Commonwealth Broadcasting Network http://www.asiantele....com/atncbn.htm which shows pretty much the whole enchilada on a single channel, and it can be subscribed to on a single platform, e.g. any one of Bell Expressvu, Rogers Cable etc. However in USA, there is no such single platform solution except willow.tv broadband internet.)

Zee Sport America is on Free Preview until October 3. They are starting off with Pakistan vs. South Africa test which is being shown right this minute. They will also show India vs. Australia second ODI later in the morning.

Apart from cricket, it appears they will also show some other sports e.g. Indian Football, some other Asian Football, and ATP tennis events originating from India. For example they had Kyrgyzstan vs. Cambodia Nehru Cup football few minutes ago, had a promotion by Sania Mirza. They might also carry FIFA World Cup qualifiers for Indian national team or maybe some other Asian World Cup football qualifiers, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

Anyway, that's the info for what it is worth. At this moment, I have no idea how much they will want to charge starting October 3. Assuming it's a reasonable cost, one big advantage of subscribing to this channel might just be that it's a single home for cricket, instead of having to pay for multiple PPV. I just hope it would be a cheaper option than adding up individual PPVs.

#30 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Alright mates, I know this is not DirecTV related, but cricket related nonetheless. I know most of us crazy ones aren't really loyal to a platform like DISH or DirecTV. We are loyal to the sport. I even know bunch of us subscribe to multiple platforms.

Considering this, here is new information which would be of interest to you. There is a new channel started on DISH called Zee Sport America (channel number 576) which is right now in free preview mode. This channel will be showing whole bunch of cricket which DISH had acquired rights to. (Meaning all of ICC international cricket - whatever DirecTV's Cricket Ticket showed.) Put it other way, if you had DirecTV Cricket Ticket + Zee Sport America from DISH you would have the whole enchilada.

(I know that in Canada they do have a single channel called ATN-CBN which stands for Asian Television Network - Commonwealth Broadcasting Network http://www.asiantele....com/atncbn.htm which shows pretty much the whole enchilada on a single channel, and it can be subscribed to on a single platform, e.g. any one of Bell Expressvu, Rogers Cable etc. However in USA, there is no such single platform solution except willow.tv broadband internet.)

Zee Sport America is on Free Preview until October 3. They are starting off with Pakistan vs. South Africa test which is being shown right this minute. They will also show India vs. Australia second ODI later in the morning.

Apart from cricket, it appears they will also show some other sports e.g. Indian Football, some other Asian Football, and ATP tennis events originating from India. For example they had Kyrgyzstan vs. Cambodia Nehru Cup football few minutes ago, had a promotion by Sania Mirza. They might also carry FIFA World Cup qualifiers for Indian national team or maybe some other Asian World Cup football qualifiers, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

Anyway, that's the info for what it is worth. At this moment, I have no idea how much they will want to charge starting October 3. Assuming it's a reasonable cost, one big advantage of subscribing to this channel might just be that it's a single home for cricket, instead of having to pay for multiple PPV. I just hope it would be a cheaper option than adding up individual PPVs.

The pricing for this channel is 19.99USD per month or 149.99USD per annum.

I agree with you that its a much cheaper option compared to the PPV that was available till now.

I have one question for you..i thought you also had DIRECTV international besides DISH. If thats right do you see any "sound" related issues with NDTV channel recently?

The volume has dropped low on this channel!!!

#31 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

I have one question for you..i thought you also had DIRECTV international besides DISH. If thats right do you see any "sound" related issues with NDTV channel recently?

The volume has dropped low on this channel!!!

Hmm, didn't know about that. I'll check later tonight, I'm not in front of TV right now and don't have any Slingbox to check.

I have had sound problems with Doordarshan for the longest time. Their sound used to be very muddled, laden with heavy bass and used to sound as if underwater.

#32 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

Hmm, didn't know about that. I'll check later tonight, I'm not in front of TV right now and don't have any Slingbox to check.

I have had sound problems with Doordarshan for the longest time. Their sound used to be very muddled, laden with heavy bass and used to sound as if underwater.

Chandu,

Did you get a chance to check the sound levels in NDTV?

I agree regarding your post on Doordarshan...sound and pq are pathetic.

Thanks

#33 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

Chandu,

Did you get a chance to check the sound levels in NDTV?

I agree regarding your post on Doordarshan...sound and pq are pathetic.

Thanks

Sorry, no. I got busy watching and getting angry about the India vs. Australia 2nd ODI. Will definitely check tonight and post.

#34 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

Alright, so I'm in front of my receiver and watching NDTV right now. The audio level seems slightly low compared to Star Plus, but nothing I would consider as alarming. With volume setting set to same value as from some of my other input sources (DISH receiver, DVD player etc.) the volume is reasonable such that I can hear everything just fine.

I compared it with some other channels e.g. Doordarshan (OK, I know it's a bad example based on what we already said above, but somehow I noticed the bad bass problem went away!!!), CrickePlus, Setanta and bunch of other stuff. Nothing radically out of the ordinary. Then I tuned to Star News and Star Plus and the volume was much louder than everything else. So maybe the Star family of channels have their volume go up, instead of NDTV going down? :confused:

Can you tell if you're comparing NDTV with some other channels, and if yes, what are some of those other channels you watch very frequently? Or are you still seeing just NDTV with very bad volume? If latter, it might be something isolated to your system not seen at my end.

#35 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

Alright, so I'm in front of my receiver and watching NDTV right now. The audio level seems slightly low compared to Star Plus, but nothing I would consider as alarming. With volume setting set to same value as from some of my other input sources (DISH receiver, DVD player etc.) the volume is reasonable such that I can hear everything just fine.

I compared it with some other channels e.g. Doordarshan (OK, I know it's a bad example based on what we already said above, but somehow I noticed the bad bass problem went away!!!), CrickePlus, Setanta and bunch of other stuff. Nothing radically out of the ordinary. Then I tuned to Star News and Star Plus and the volume was much louder than everything else. So maybe the Star family of channels have their volume go up, instead of NDTV going down? :confused:

Can you tell if you're comparing NDTV with some other channels, and if yes, what are some of those other channels you watch very frequently? Or are you still seeing just NDTV with very bad volume? If latter, it might be something isolated to your system not seen at my end.

If the volume is set to 8-10 normally, all channels were coming good in terms of audibility. (Star group will be louder, MTV India will be the highest and CNBC/CNN will be right for that level)

In the last 5 days, I need to keep NDTV at 16-18 to get the same audio levels that used to come at 8-10.

I dont see any difference in other channels.

I have raised this issue with DTV and they have told me to wait.

I want to get the feedback from other users before escalating with them.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks

#36 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

If the volume is set to 8-10 normally, all channels were coming good in terms of audibility. (Star group will be louder, MTV India will be the highest and CNBC/CNN will be right for that level)

In the last 5 days, I need to keep NDTV at 16-18 to get the same audio levels that used to come at 8-10.

I dont see any difference in other channels.

OK, no. I definitely don't notice such drastic difference. Probably the problem is isolated to a subset of some systems then.

BTW, I'm using R15 for my receiver and regular analog RCA cables for audio connected directly to the display. What is your receiver? Also do you use RCA cables for analog audio or something else for digital audio e.g. optical link to send audio output to a separate amplifier/speaker?

#37 OFFLINE   ppn.rm

ppn.rm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

Is Zee sport going to be available in mega pack in dishnetwork? Can someone if dishnetwork going to add more india south asian channels>

#38 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Is Zee sport going to be available in mega pack in dishnetwork? Can someone if dishnetwork going to add more india south asian channels>

ZEE sports will be a la-carte channel with 19.99/month or 149.99 per annum.

At this time there is no news from E* regarding any new south asian channels.

I wish they add TimesNow and CNN-IBN (E* or DTV)

By the way do you have friends with DTV south asian channels - if yes can you find out if they are having volume issues with NDTV channel.

#39 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

OK, no. I definitely don't notice such drastic difference. Probably the problem is isolated to a subset of some systems then.

BTW, I'm using R15 for my receiver and regular analog RCA cables for audio connected directly to the display. What is your receiver? Also do you use RCA cables for analog audio or something else for digital audio e.g. optical link to send audio output to a separate amplifier/speaker?

I have the normal Motorola SD receiver... I dont think there is an issue with audio cables or tv as all channels except NDTV are having an awesome volume quality.

I have asked DTV to escalate this with NDTV...

Lets see what happens

#40 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

After a long while i checked CRICKETPLUS channel and the volume level for this channel also was low..but not bad as NDTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...