Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

South Asian Indian Channels Directv vs Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
954 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

Has directv addedMTV India in channel 2006?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:44 AM

Has directv addedMTV India in channel 2006?

Yes. http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200035

Why can't Dish get this channel?

Rasheed

#28 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

Yes. http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200035

Why can't Dish get this channel?

Rasheed

I think Viacom (the owners of MTV) and E* dont have a good relationship - thats why they could have signed exclusive deal with Directv.

#29 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:32 AM

Alright mates, I know this is not DirecTV related, but cricket related nonetheless. I know most of us crazy ones aren't really loyal to a platform like DISH or DirecTV. We are loyal to the sport. I even know bunch of us subscribe to multiple platforms.

Considering this, here is new information which would be of interest to you. There is a new channel started on DISH called Zee Sport America (channel number 576) which is right now in free preview mode. This channel will be showing whole bunch of cricket which DISH had acquired rights to. (Meaning all of ICC international cricket - whatever DirecTV's Cricket Ticket showed.) Put it other way, if you had DirecTV Cricket Ticket + Zee Sport America from DISH you would have the whole enchilada.

(I know that in Canada they do have a single channel called ATN-CBN which stands for Asian Television Network - Commonwealth Broadcasting Network http://www.asiantele....com/atncbn.htm which shows pretty much the whole enchilada on a single channel, and it can be subscribed to on a single platform, e.g. any one of Bell Expressvu, Rogers Cable etc. However in USA, there is no such single platform solution except willow.tv broadband internet.)

Zee Sport America is on Free Preview until October 3. They are starting off with Pakistan vs. South Africa test which is being shown right this minute. They will also show India vs. Australia second ODI later in the morning.

Apart from cricket, it appears they will also show some other sports e.g. Indian Football, some other Asian Football, and ATP tennis events originating from India. For example they had Kyrgyzstan vs. Cambodia Nehru Cup football few minutes ago, had a promotion by Sania Mirza. They might also carry FIFA World Cup qualifiers for Indian national team or maybe some other Asian World Cup football qualifiers, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

Anyway, that's the info for what it is worth. At this moment, I have no idea how much they will want to charge starting October 3. Assuming it's a reasonable cost, one big advantage of subscribing to this channel might just be that it's a single home for cricket, instead of having to pay for multiple PPV. I just hope it would be a cheaper option than adding up individual PPVs.

#30 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Alright mates, I know this is not DirecTV related, but cricket related nonetheless. I know most of us crazy ones aren't really loyal to a platform like DISH or DirecTV. We are loyal to the sport. I even know bunch of us subscribe to multiple platforms.

Considering this, here is new information which would be of interest to you. There is a new channel started on DISH called Zee Sport America (channel number 576) which is right now in free preview mode. This channel will be showing whole bunch of cricket which DISH had acquired rights to. (Meaning all of ICC international cricket - whatever DirecTV's Cricket Ticket showed.) Put it other way, if you had DirecTV Cricket Ticket + Zee Sport America from DISH you would have the whole enchilada.

(I know that in Canada they do have a single channel called ATN-CBN which stands for Asian Television Network - Commonwealth Broadcasting Network http://www.asiantele....com/atncbn.htm which shows pretty much the whole enchilada on a single channel, and it can be subscribed to on a single platform, e.g. any one of Bell Expressvu, Rogers Cable etc. However in USA, there is no such single platform solution except willow.tv broadband internet.)

Zee Sport America is on Free Preview until October 3. They are starting off with Pakistan vs. South Africa test which is being shown right this minute. They will also show India vs. Australia second ODI later in the morning.

Apart from cricket, it appears they will also show some other sports e.g. Indian Football, some other Asian Football, and ATP tennis events originating from India. For example they had Kyrgyzstan vs. Cambodia Nehru Cup football few minutes ago, had a promotion by Sania Mirza. They might also carry FIFA World Cup qualifiers for Indian national team or maybe some other Asian World Cup football qualifiers, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

Anyway, that's the info for what it is worth. At this moment, I have no idea how much they will want to charge starting October 3. Assuming it's a reasonable cost, one big advantage of subscribing to this channel might just be that it's a single home for cricket, instead of having to pay for multiple PPV. I just hope it would be a cheaper option than adding up individual PPVs.

The pricing for this channel is 19.99USD per month or 149.99USD per annum.

I agree with you that its a much cheaper option compared to the PPV that was available till now.

I have one question for you..i thought you also had DIRECTV international besides DISH. If thats right do you see any "sound" related issues with NDTV channel recently?

The volume has dropped low on this channel!!!

#31 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

I have one question for you..i thought you also had DIRECTV international besides DISH. If thats right do you see any "sound" related issues with NDTV channel recently?

The volume has dropped low on this channel!!!

Hmm, didn't know about that. I'll check later tonight, I'm not in front of TV right now and don't have any Slingbox to check.

I have had sound problems with Doordarshan for the longest time. Their sound used to be very muddled, laden with heavy bass and used to sound as if underwater.

#32 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

Hmm, didn't know about that. I'll check later tonight, I'm not in front of TV right now and don't have any Slingbox to check.

I have had sound problems with Doordarshan for the longest time. Their sound used to be very muddled, laden with heavy bass and used to sound as if underwater.

Chandu,

Did you get a chance to check the sound levels in NDTV?

I agree regarding your post on Doordarshan...sound and pq are pathetic.

Thanks

#33 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

Chandu,

Did you get a chance to check the sound levels in NDTV?

I agree regarding your post on Doordarshan...sound and pq are pathetic.

Thanks

Sorry, no. I got busy watching and getting angry about the India vs. Australia 2nd ODI. Will definitely check tonight and post.

#34 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

Alright, so I'm in front of my receiver and watching NDTV right now. The audio level seems slightly low compared to Star Plus, but nothing I would consider as alarming. With volume setting set to same value as from some of my other input sources (DISH receiver, DVD player etc.) the volume is reasonable such that I can hear everything just fine.

I compared it with some other channels e.g. Doordarshan (OK, I know it's a bad example based on what we already said above, but somehow I noticed the bad bass problem went away!!!), CrickePlus, Setanta and bunch of other stuff. Nothing radically out of the ordinary. Then I tuned to Star News and Star Plus and the volume was much louder than everything else. So maybe the Star family of channels have their volume go up, instead of NDTV going down? :confused:

Can you tell if you're comparing NDTV with some other channels, and if yes, what are some of those other channels you watch very frequently? Or are you still seeing just NDTV with very bad volume? If latter, it might be something isolated to your system not seen at my end.

#35 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

Alright, so I'm in front of my receiver and watching NDTV right now. The audio level seems slightly low compared to Star Plus, but nothing I would consider as alarming. With volume setting set to same value as from some of my other input sources (DISH receiver, DVD player etc.) the volume is reasonable such that I can hear everything just fine.

I compared it with some other channels e.g. Doordarshan (OK, I know it's a bad example based on what we already said above, but somehow I noticed the bad bass problem went away!!!), CrickePlus, Setanta and bunch of other stuff. Nothing radically out of the ordinary. Then I tuned to Star News and Star Plus and the volume was much louder than everything else. So maybe the Star family of channels have their volume go up, instead of NDTV going down? :confused:

Can you tell if you're comparing NDTV with some other channels, and if yes, what are some of those other channels you watch very frequently? Or are you still seeing just NDTV with very bad volume? If latter, it might be something isolated to your system not seen at my end.

If the volume is set to 8-10 normally, all channels were coming good in terms of audibility. (Star group will be louder, MTV India will be the highest and CNBC/CNN will be right for that level)

In the last 5 days, I need to keep NDTV at 16-18 to get the same audio levels that used to come at 8-10.

I dont see any difference in other channels.

I have raised this issue with DTV and they have told me to wait.

I want to get the feedback from other users before escalating with them.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks

#36 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

If the volume is set to 8-10 normally, all channels were coming good in terms of audibility. (Star group will be louder, MTV India will be the highest and CNBC/CNN will be right for that level)

In the last 5 days, I need to keep NDTV at 16-18 to get the same audio levels that used to come at 8-10.

I dont see any difference in other channels.

OK, no. I definitely don't notice such drastic difference. Probably the problem is isolated to a subset of some systems then.

BTW, I'm using R15 for my receiver and regular analog RCA cables for audio connected directly to the display. What is your receiver? Also do you use RCA cables for analog audio or something else for digital audio e.g. optical link to send audio output to a separate amplifier/speaker?

#37 OFFLINE   ppn.rm

ppn.rm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

Is Zee sport going to be available in mega pack in dishnetwork? Can someone if dishnetwork going to add more india south asian channels>

#38 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Is Zee sport going to be available in mega pack in dishnetwork? Can someone if dishnetwork going to add more india south asian channels>

ZEE sports will be a la-carte channel with 19.99/month or 149.99 per annum.

At this time there is no news from E* regarding any new south asian channels.

I wish they add TimesNow and CNN-IBN (E* or DTV)

By the way do you have friends with DTV south asian channels - if yes can you find out if they are having volume issues with NDTV channel.

#39 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

OK, no. I definitely don't notice such drastic difference. Probably the problem is isolated to a subset of some systems then.

BTW, I'm using R15 for my receiver and regular analog RCA cables for audio connected directly to the display. What is your receiver? Also do you use RCA cables for analog audio or something else for digital audio e.g. optical link to send audio output to a separate amplifier/speaker?

I have the normal Motorola SD receiver... I dont think there is an issue with audio cables or tv as all channels except NDTV are having an awesome volume quality.

I have asked DTV to escalate this with NDTV...

Lets see what happens

#40 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

After a long while i checked CRICKETPLUS channel and the volume level for this channel also was low..but not bad as NDTV

#41 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

After a long while i checked CRICKETPLUS channel and the volume level for this channel also was low..but not bad as NDTV

It's coming through perfectly fine over here. Just watching the replay of Sri Lanka vs. England 2nd ODI right now and no problems with it. Cool thing this, being able to watch Sri Lanka vs. England on CricketPlus as well as India vs. Australia and Pakistan vs. South Africa on Zee Sports America. This is way cool. :cool:

#42 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

looks like NDTV is coming good again wrt sound issues.

#43 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

I got email from NDTV tech dept after i had mailed them last week.

Good customer service and the NDTV volumes are back to normal since last 2 days.

#44 OFFLINE   gdeep

gdeep

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

Star TV to expand operations in North America
Tuesday - Oct 16, 2007
Televisionpoint.com Correspondent | Hong Kong
Star TV is expanding distribution of its signature Hindi and Mandarin language programming in North America with the opening of a sales office in Los Angeles. Headed by David Wisnia, Vice-president for Distribution and Sales, the new office will market and drive distribution of Asia's most popular networks in North America.

In the United States, Star is looking to expand distribution of its current slate of four top-rated channels, which are currently available on DirecTV are Star India PLUS, Star One, Star India News and Vijay TV.

Star will also market Star Gold and several Mandarin language channels. Star's Mandarin language channels include Star Chinese, the top-rated general entertainment channel in Taiwan, and Channel [V], the trend-setting youth channel.

Star's Chief Operating Officer, Laureen Ong, says "Asians, particularly those of Indian and Chinese descent, represent the largest growing ethnic group in the United States after Hispanics. We know the US demand for Indian and Chinese programming is growing, and Star is well positioned to offer thousands of hours of quality, original programming to this under-served market."

David Wisnia comes to Star following nearly eight years with Fox Sports International, including four years with Fuel TV. Most recently, Wisnia was Vice-president, Business & Legal Affairs responsible for assisting in providing day-to-day oversight of business and legal affairs department, which supports the Fox Sports/Fuel TV cable television channels, domestically and internationally (including in Latin America, the Middle East and Africa). As part of his business affairs responsibilities, Wisnia was also responsible for launching the Fox Sports networks into Africa and Turkey.

#45 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

I just read this article today and you beat me by 2 days by posting it.

Directv will give E* a run for its money in south asian programming if and when star gold makes it.

Thanks

#46 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

prashp,

can you find out from your source when star gold will be available on DIRECTV?

its a good movie channel.

thanks

#47 OFFLINE   ppn.rm

ppn.rm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

That would be nice to have Star Gold channel and Channel V in the Hindi Direct on Direct Tv

#48 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

That would be nice to have Star Gold channel and Channel V in the Hindi Direct on Direct Tv

Channel V hindi may not make it as we already have MTV India. It will be good though if both STAR GOLD and V make it.

#49 OFFLINE   ppn.rm

ppn.rm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know when Star Gold and V channel are coming to direct tv because I called direct tv yesterday they don't any thing about this channels coming to direct tv.

#50 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

Does anyone know when Star Gold and V channel are coming to direct tv because I called direct tv yesterday they don't any thing about this channels coming to direct tv.

did u call the international number? - i think it is 8003784179

Protected By... spam firewall...And...