Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

South Asian Indian Channels Directv vs Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
941 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

*BREAKING NEWS* Sony's sister channel SAB is coming to DISH Network. So far it's uplinked on ch. 575 should be ready in November.

Wow! Thanks for the good news......:) Does that mean for us who only have 61.5 will not get the channel??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Superstar

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

Wow! Thanks for the good news......:) Does that mean for us who only have 61.5 will not get the channel??

No, none of the new international channels are coming to 61.5° or 148°. DISH Network has moved the internationals to 118.7°. They already eliminated the SuperDISH 121°.

Starting this year the DISH satellites are 61.5°, 72° and 77° are Eastern arc, 110° 119° and 129° are Western Arc and 118.7° the new International Arc.

Some that remain the 148° for the West feeds for Sony, SET Max, Sahara One and TV Asia. Possible rumor is that is coming to 118.7° in the near future.

NDTV Imagine and 9X should be coming in 2009. 9X is a free channel. Although, mostly favorites 9XM is beating out MTV India and Channel V in the ratings.

#163 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

Can this thread be moved off DirecTV topics? I know its meant to be comparing DirecTV vs Dish; but I have DirecTV HindiDirect, and most of the last posts are only about whats available on Dish ( which I frankly don't care about given what I have invested in DirecTV). I come to this thread hoping there is news about new channels on DirecTV..

#164 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Superstar

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

November 12, 2008 SAB TV is available free for Hindi Mega Pack subscribers with a satellite pointing at 118.7°. November 19, 2008 SAB TV is also available free for Hindi Mega Pack subscribers with a satellite pointing at 61.5°.

#165 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

November 12, 2008 SAB TV is available free for Hindi Mega Pack subscribers with a satellite pointing at 118.7°.

November 19, 2008 SAB TV is available free for Hindi Mega Pack subscribers with a satellite pointing at 61.5°. JUS Punjabi is no longer in Free preview as they never participated in the Punjabi Package. If anyone notice last night, the green bullentin. JUS Punjabi is A-La-Carte for $9.99.

Thankyou for your news....I did not have 118.7 so this is a treat...this is all so confusing..if they are moving channels to 118.7 than why are they still adding to 61.5?

#166 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Superstar

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thankyou for your news....I did not have 118.7 so this is a treat...this is all so confusing..if they are moving channels to 118.7 than why are they still adding to 61.5?

I've heard it from some ppl that DISH Network subscribers in the Eastern seaboard are having problems pointing to 118.7°. I have no clue as why 61.5° is available. Migration to the new International Arc is slow. Keep checking the DISH Uplink forum for surprises.

#167 OFFLINE   KB14

KB14

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

Anyone else missing STAR ONE all of a sudden? Plus, I have the Mega Pak, but SAB TV is not available for me (shows up in guide in red)

#168 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

UTV Movies to launch in US on DirecTV in january

http://www.indiantel.../nov/nov230.php

#169 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

thanks for the info.

#170 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

UTV Movies to launch in US on DirecTV in january

http://www.indiantel.../nov/nov230.php

Great news!!!

what happened to NDTV Imagine and 9X?

#171 OFFLINE   ppn.rm

ppn.rm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Does Anyone have a update on the new hindi channels

What happen to NDTV Imagine and 9X?

#172 OFFLINE   gdeep

gdeep

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:03 PM

Does Anyone have a update on the new hindi channels

What happen to NDTV Imagine and 9X?

I don't think 9x is coming to US at all. News on the block is that this channel is doing so bad (rating wise) that it will be closing doors pretty soon. Investors are already pulling money out of this channel and it's parent company.

NDTV Imagine will sign with Directv instead of Dish.

#173 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Superstar

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

UTV Movies is coming to DirecTV! We get see the Shahrukh Khan and his Don movies? Too bad this movie never shows up on any of the Zee, Sony, Sahara or STAR Channels.

9xM is doing better than the MTV, Channel [V] and 9x. 9x going out of business is a long shot since it is Free-to-Air channel. I don't see NDTV Imagine coming on DISH Network either. Although, DISH promised to reach 45 international channels by 2009.

DirecTV and DISH Network should focus on eliminating News channels. I see IBN7, CNN/IBN, NDTV, Times Now and STAR News did a lot better coverage on the Mumbai siege. I don't rely on Aaj Tak and Headlines Today. Some unreliable fake news there.

#174 OFFLINE   gdeep

gdeep

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

UTV Movies is coming to DirecTV! We get see the Shahrukh Khan and his Don movies? Too bad this movie never shows up on any of the Zee, Sony, Sahara or STAR Channels.

9xM is doing better than the MTV, Channel [V] and 9x. 9x going out of business is a long shot since it is Free-to-Air channel. I don't see NDTV Imagine coming on DISH Network either. Although, DISH promised to reach 45 international channels by 2009.

DirecTV and DISH Network should focus on eliminating News channels. I see IBN7, CNN/IBN, NDTV, Times Now and STAR News did a lot better coverage on the Mumbai siege. I don't rely on Aaj Tak and Headlines Today. Some unreliable fake news there.

I hope 9x survives.....Yeah I have to agree I hate all the news channels. During Mumbai siege I only watched Times Now on Directv to keep myself up to date.

#175 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Superstar

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

December 17, 2008-Comcast Corporation will distribute five STAR India channels on its Digital Cable platform in California.

The channels include STAR Plus, STAR One, STAR Gold, STAR News and STAR Vijay.

STAR Plus will be available on Thursday December 18, 2008 through subscription on Channel 250 for $11.99 per month and also included in a package with the other channels for a discounted rate.

Apart from North Santa Barbara and Lompoc, STAR Plus will be available across all Comcast California service areas including Sacramento, Fresno, Stockton, San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose.

STAR senior VP says - Distribution and sales and head - North America and Europe David Wisnia, “We are excited to embark on this partnership with Comcast by making STAR Plus available to Comcast’s California subscribers. We look forward to strengthening our partnership with Comcast in the near future and sharing more of our Indian content with South Asian viewers throughout the country.”

Adds Comcast director - national ethnic marketing Natalie Rouse: “We are pleased to launch STAR Plus in California. One of Comcast’s goals is to bring our multicultural customers closer to their culture and STAR Plus exactly does that."

#176 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

December 17, 2008-Comcast Corporation will distribute five STAR India channels on its Digital Cable platform in California.

The channels include STAR Plus, STAR One, STAR Gold, STAR News and STAR Vijay.

STAR Plus will be available on Thursday December 18, 2008 through subscription on Channel 250 for $11.99 per month and also included in a package with the other channels for a discounted rate.

Apart from North Santa Barbara and Lompoc, STAR Plus will be available across all Comcast California service areas including Sacramento, Fresno, Stockton, San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose.

STAR senior VP says - Distribution and sales and head - North America and Europe David Wisnia, “We are excited to embark on this partnership with Comcast by making STAR Plus available to Comcast’s California subscribers. We look forward to strengthening our partnership with Comcast in the near future and sharing more of our Indian content with South Asian viewers throughout the country.”

Adds Comcast director - national ethnic marketing Natalie Rouse: “We are pleased to launch STAR Plus in California. One of Comcast’s goals is to bring our multicultural customers closer to their culture and STAR Plus exactly does that."

I live in a Comcast service area where there are a lot of South Asian, Indian Americans. Comcast here only offers Bollywood on Demand. However, there are a number of Comcast systems [including the Comcast in Baltimore] that carries both Zee TV and TV Asia. In Baltimore, there is a smaller South Asian population. It never made sense to me. Verizon Fios carries TV Asia pretty much universally where they service, but TV Asia isn't a great channel.

I currently subscribe to Dish Network and take just two channels, Zee and Sahara One, though Zee is watched 90% of the time. Sahara One's audio is awful. SONY Ent. also - bad video/audio. I really just want Zee, but Dish requires two, although recently they now permit Zee and Star Plus, for $24.99. And, I'm considering dropping Sahara for Star Plus, but I'm waiting...as the $5 downgrade fee on Dish gets to be a PITA, so I'm going to wait and may drop multiple things at once.

Regarding DirecTV,
I noticed they have now included Aastha Television in the Hindi Direct package:
Now: [8 channels]
http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P4710114

Before: [7 channels]
http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200035

It used to be alacarte only:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ighlight=Aastha

I wonder for customers that paid for both before, if DirecTV is still charging alacarte for Aastha?!

I'm guessing DirecTV was seeing customers opt for Dish now that Dish has picked up the Star channels, and they are trying to please customers, as it was always an unpopular...putting Aastha not in the package. But why not strike a deal for the popular Zee channels?? I'm wondering if Dish has signed a sat exclusive.

I actually had DirecTV for a short while, but didn't like the bundling, where Aastha would be another expense.

Now, I'm considering dropping Dish and going back to DirecTV, since DirecTV has a 8 channel package for $29.99 which includes Aastha.
However, Zee is a fav channel in my house and Dish is providing Cinemax practically free for this year, with my autopay, but its seems both DirecTV and Dish are responding to competition from each other.

#177 OFFLINE   ppn.rm

ppn.rm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

Does Anyone
Have any update on any new hindi channels coming to dishnetwork or direct tv

#178 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

Does Anyone
Have any update on any new hindi channels coming to dishnetwork or direct tv

UTV movies should be coming in Jan to Directv.

No news abt NDTV Imagine unless Nina has something to share with.

Satexplorer, please chime in with your updates.

I havent heard from Chandu in a long time.

Thanks

#179 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

The last time I heard from Ndtvimagine was that the channel should be on air around January 15th. They are insisting it will be on Dishnetwork????????

#180 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

I hope COLORS and CNBCTV18 also make it in the future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...