Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can you use the same DirectTV account at multiple addresses?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

Say that you own two homes, house A and house B.
If you have a DirectTV dish and receiver at both houses, with one account and one access card, can you take the access card with you when you travel between the homes and use your service at both places?

Other questions are:
1. Is an access card "binded" to just one receiver (if so, could you just take the receive with you when you travel between homes)
2. Is this against DirectTV's terms of service?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Say that you own two homes, house A and house B.
If you have a DirectTV dish and receiver at both houses, with one account and one access card, can you take the access card with you when you travel between the homes and use your service at both places?

Other questions are:
1. Is an access card "binded" to just one receiver (if so, could you just take the receive with you when you travel between homes)
2. Is this against DirectTV's terms of service?

Thanks in advance.

Yes the access card is bound to one reciver.

Yes doing what you are asking is against th DirecTV contract.

:)

Oh and Welcome to the forum
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#3 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:49 PM

It's against a contract? I don't see the difference between that or using my receiver in my RV when I travel, which many of us do regularly. DirecTV had no issue with my using it in an RV.:rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Yes the access card is bound to one reciver.

Yes doing what you are asking is against th DirecTV contract.

:)

Oh and Welcome to the forum

Many thanks :)

Probably a dumb question, but once you have an access card and a receiver, you can't just go out and buy a new receiver and pop your access card into it?

How exactly does someone go about upgrading receivers then if access cards are bound to one receiver?

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

It's against a contract? I don't see the difference between that or using my receiver in my RV when I travel, which many of us do regularly. DirecTV had no issue with my using it in an RV.:rolleyes:

I'm just telling you what the rules say. It's not allowed, this doesn't mean it's not done it just means it's against the rules.
R15 (500)

#6 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

Many thanks :)

Probably a dumb question, but once you have an access card and a receiver, you can't just go out and buy a new receiver and pop your access card into it?

How exactly does someone go about upgrading receivers then if access cards are bound to one receiver?

Thanks.

No problem at all :)

When you get a new receiver it will come with a new access card. Also if I understand corretly if your access has been in use by you and you get a different receiver and you shut off the old one that DirecTV can marry your access card to the new receiver. I may be wrong about this and am sure I will be corrected if I am. I just recall reading that on the forums.
R15 (500)

#7 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

If you really want, you can take that receiver with you to the other location and hook it up to the dish and it should work fine. I just wouldn't plug it into a phone line. Also, if you get another receiver, you can hook it up at location B and again don't plug it into a phone line and there should be no problem. I am sure it is against there rules but I have seen tons of people do this with no problems.

#8 OFFLINE   ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for all the great comments.

Instead of moving the receiver each time, I guess I could pay $5 a month and get a 2nd receiver at the house and just permanently move that one to the other house?

That should work fine too, right?

#9 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the great comments.

Instead of moving the receiver each time, I guess I could pay $5 a month and get a 2nd receiver at the house and just permanently move that one to the other house?

That should work fine too, right?

That should work. Just don't say anything to them about having it at a diferrent location.

#10 OFFLINE   ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

Last two questions, I promise :)

1. So it would probably be a bad idea to get a DVR DirectTV receiver if someone did this, since it has to phone home and they could figure out where the receiver is?

2. With the new DirectTV receiver leasing policy, if you spend $400 on a HR20-700 HD DVR and cancel your service after 2 years, they take the receiver back, right?

#11 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

Last two questions, I promise :)

1. So it would probably be a bad idea to get a DVR DirectTV receiver if someone did this, since it has to phone home and they could figure out where the receiver is?

2. With the new DirectTV receiver leasing policy, if you spend $400 on a HR20-700 HD DVR and cancel your service after 2 years, they take the receiver back, right?

No problem!

1. I am not sure, I think the new DVR (R15) only needs the phone line with it is first hooked up. After that I don't think it needs it. It would only need it if you order PPV. But, I am not for sure and I am sure someone will let you know.

2. Yes they will want the reciver back. That is what I understand from what I have read on these threads.

#12 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

No problem!

1. I am not sure, I think the new DVR (R15) only needs the phone line with it is first hooked up. After that I don't think it needs it. It would only need it if you order PPV. But, I am not for sure and I am sure someone will let you know.

2. Yes they will want the reciver back. That is what I understand from what I have read on these threads.

The only time the R15 needs a phone line is if you want to get PPV from it. Outside of that it never needs one. The older Tivo models needed it for setup.
R15 (500)

spam firewall