Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HELP!! :) Upgrading to AT9 from Dual LNB Set Up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

ok guys I need some help in the middle of this self-install (yes I'm sure it would have been easier had I just called DirecTV but I got a good package deal with the H20 and AT9 locally).

Here's the set up:

*We have an older Directv standard dish with a (single) dual LNB attached.

*We are running 2 receivers off that DirecTV dish, which I currently see has 2 wires running off the LNB itself (1 for each receiver I guess?).

*We're upgrading to the AT9 5 LNB, which I note has 4 outputs coming off the dish.

*We'll again be using 2 receivers (one of which will be the new H20, taking the place of one of our old receivers).

What additional wiring will I need to run to make this happen? If there are 4 outputs on the dish, I assume I'll also need a multi-switch to make them accessible to the 2 receivers?

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated :)

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

You won't need a multiswitch.

The AT-9 can independently provide the signal to 4 tuners, without the need for a multiswitch.

So you will be fine putting in the two.
But I do recommend you at least run the other two (so all four from teh dish), even if you are not going to use the extra two right now.

Will save you the hassle in the future and will only cost you a few extra dollars right now.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

No, you just hook the two cable to the lnb and it will work fine. You can hook up to four receivers to this dish. That is why there are four ports. If you want more the four receivers then you will need a multi-switch.

#4 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

You won't need a multiswitch.

The AT-9 can independently provide the signal to 4 tuners, without the need for a multiswitch.

So you will be fine putting in the two.
But I do recommend you at least run the other two (so all four from teh dish), even if you are not going to use the extra two right now.

Will save you the hassle in the future and will only cost you a few extra dollars right now.

Thanks a ton Earl -- so the 4 outputs on the AT9 are only there for the possibility of hooking up 4 receivers then?

I will buy some cable and do as you mentioned, though, because that would help out the possibility of expansion in the future and save a headache when/if I do it.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

No, you just hook the two cable to the lnb and it will work fine. You can hook up to four receivers to this dish. That is why there are four ports. If you want more the four receivers then you will need a multi-switch.

I undeleted your thread...

No need to delete stuff, when they double post that quickly.
I am not always correct, and don't have to be the disementor of all the answers....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

#7 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

I undeleted your thread...

No need to delete stuff, when they double post that quickly.
I am not always correct, and don't have to be the disementor of all the answers....

Oh, that's ok. I just deleted because I didn't realize you where in this thread and basically gave the same answer I did but, with a better point about going ahead and attaching 2 extra cables.

#8 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:01 PM

Well we assembled the dish but have rolled snake eyes in terms of getting a whiff of a satelitte signal :( even with the corrected azimuth etc. that the H20 gives out.

Is there a certain trick with the AT9, something we could have missed with the cables, or is it a much more precise science aiming this dish?

Also, the H20 gave me two separate sets of coordinates for my zip. Can anyone double-check on the correct tilt/etc. for 02879? Many thanks in advance.

#9 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

Well we assembled the dish but have rolled snake eyes in terms of getting a whiff of a satelitte signal :( even with the corrected azimuth etc. that the H20 gives out.

Is there a certain trick with the AT9, something we could have missed with the cables, or is it a much more precise science aiming this dish?

Also, the H20 gave me two separate sets of coordinates for my zip. Can anyone double-check on the correct tilt/etc. for 02879? Many thanks in advance.

DO you have the cross over LNB cbls connected (small wire from Lnb to LNB)?
top HAS to go to top port ect. bottom to bottom.

Make SURE you have the LNB slot (3 small holes) in assembly in THE CORRECT ZONE hole.

DO YOU HAVE a meter? OR are you using the on screen meter?

On the H-20 pick the 5 LNB of coarse.. the other rec pick the 3 lnb (mulit sat)

USE the standard rec as your reference for sig. forget the H-20 for now. You WILL have to achieve signal first .. then you will have to force a download on the H-20 BEFORE it wil recognize the 99 or 103 sat (HD locals).

Dude your tackling a real deal here ya know. Ill gladly help you But you need patience if you have no meter. There is alot to this thing. It aint no cake walk to say the least. And no its not like that dish you took down either as far as easyness.

If ya like PM me and ill walk you through this thing. Might be agood idea for Phone to be used. or your gonna get crazy befor ya get this thing working. LOL..

PS.. DO NOT mess with that fine adjustment BS Or pull the pin on the side to side adjustment EITHER. You can do this without that stupid developement of a worthless fine adjustment.. I never use it as a matter of fact..

EDIT:

i just re-read your post> what do you mean 2 sets of cordinates.. that cant be.. You have a elevation ,a skew, and an AZimuth number per your zip. Please explain.

#10 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

I can't imagine why people want to wrestle with the AT-9 when D* will install it free. Beyond me.

#11 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

When someone says not to do the fine adjustment on the AT9, ignore them and run the other way. They are obviously from the uninformed public because no trained professional installer would give you that advice:nono2: . If the AT9 mast is plumb and you have the correct starting elevation and tilt, it would be hard to miss the 101 satellite by rotating the dish around the mast. Your AT9 came with instructions that will walk you through every step. You can use your receiver to peak the dish but the person peaking the dish really needs to look at the signal meter while going through the motions. Talking on the phone from the roof is not going to cut it. Take a TV monitor on the roof, borrow a meter or let someone else with the right equipment do the install.
Claus

DO you have the cross over LNB cbls connected (small wire from Lnb to LNB)?
top HAS to go to top port ect. bottom to bottom.

Make SURE you have the LNB slot (3 small holes) in assembly in THE CORRECT ZONE hole.

DO YOU HAVE a meter? OR are you using the on screen meter?

On the H-20 pick the 5 LNB of coarse.. the other rec pick the 3 lnb (mulit sat)

USE the standard rec as your reference for sig. forget the H-20 for now. You WILL have to achieve signal first .. then you will have to force a download on the H-20 BEFORE it wil recognize the 99 or 103 sat (HD locals).

Dude your tackling a real deal here ya know. Ill gladly help you But you need patience if you have no meter. There is alot to this thing. It aint no cake walk to say the least. And no its not like that dish you took down either as far as easyness.

If ya like PM me and ill walk you through this thing. Might be agood idea for Phone to be used. or your gonna get crazy befor ya get this thing working. LOL..

PS.. DO NOT mess with that fine adjustment BS Or pull the pin on the side to side adjustment EITHER. You can do this without that stupid developement of a worthless fine adjustment.. I never use it as a matter of fact..

EDIT:

i just re-read your post> what do you mean 2 sets of cordinates.. that cant be.. You have a elevation ,a skew, and an AZimuth number per your zip. Please explain.

#12 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

Funny!

And just how long have you been doing DBS , c-band, ISp ect ect. = 12 yrs here my fair friend.

Are you a HSP wanna be or something. Oh yeah thats right i read that post where you mentioned the "training video". LMAO. So i dont think your words mean *** to me. DID you actual watch that thing BEFORE you knew how to do the AT-9 BTW?. If you did then your NOT a sat tech. sorry. A dish is a dish period. Im ole school (and OLD chuckle) and ill forget more than any of these New age DTV folks will ever learn.

That fine adjustment is a accident waiting to happen. Piss poor construction and frankly the WORST Hardware i have EVER seen on ANY dish period in my whole tenure. Those brass bolts on the bottom (the side to side (pin pull)) are the poorest contrued composition of metal there is. Its cheaper than Magnesium. That "neck" on the elevation fine adjustment is quite bendable and a piece of JUNK too. Just look at the WEIGHT that liitle tiny threaded rod is pulling on.. good grief.. who ever designed the thing is a idiot. Its got a chunk of OVER weighed UNNECESSARY metal .. then its got plastic and magnesium type metals as the "pull and tweak " aparatis's.. Like what kind of engineer is that anywaY?

I dont recomend a soul touching that fine adjust mess if they dont know what they are doing PERIOD!. you can break it in a heart beat and result in one overweighed bunch of trash and One useless AT-9 as a result.

I used that fine adjustment on ALL of one AT-9> the first one i ever did and i can boast that one of the FIRST ones to hit this DMA had MY hands on it. (BEFORE THE HSP!!!)

Since then i havent touched it period its useless. Ive never scene under 99 on Hd locals to this date either (most say 100). Well untill this month when now after DTv did something (dl maybe) that the on screen meter doesnt show the 99 for some odd reason all of a sudden even after the h-20 DL .

Brother in closing .. your barking in a tree you cant even climb!

Go watch those films somemore OK?

BTW do you work for those Directech SW crooks? lol.. if not you couldve fooled me. sorry.

here is the ref to TRAIN ING i refered to.. (chuckle like heck). So ARE YOU TRAINED YET? Who is "they" anyway?
Posted By Claus
"In the Ka/Ku install training they mentioned a dead zone when you peak a small consumer dish that can have upwards of +/- .5 degree range where a Birdog, whiner, spectrum analyzer, etc will not show..."

#13 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

[ATTACH]6066[/ATTACH]

this is STRAIGHT FROM THE AT-9 Box.
(I have 2 right here with me btw)

I dont care what that thing says about loosen this and that.

BE CAREFUL!

#14 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

I wonder if any D* field service folks are reading, they love to get hold of so called techs in the system who don’t properly align the AT9 and will usually inspect ALL of your prior AT9 installs for what you have confessed. You obviously did not listen to the reasons why the AT9 requires the precise alignment and the only way to get there is to follow the specific instructions. All the system needs is a few cowboys to muck things up by not following instructions and someone will definitely have to mop up after your AT9 installs from what you describe.
Claus

Funny!

And just how long have you been doing DBS , c-band, ISp ect ect. = 12 yrs here my fair friend.

Are you a HSP wanna be or something. Oh yeah thats right i read that post where you mentioned the "training video". LMAO. So i dont think your words mean *** to me. DID you actual watch that thing BEFORE you knew how to do the AT-9 BTW?. If you did then your NOT a sat tech. sorry. A dish is a dish period. Im ole school (and OLD chuckle) and ill forget more than any of these New age DTV folks will ever learn.

That fine adjustment is a accident waiting to happen. Piss poor construction and frankly the WORST Hardware i have EVER seen on ANY dish period in my whole tenure. Those brass bolts on the bottom (the side to side (pin pull)) are the poorest contrued composition of metal there is. Its cheaper than Magnesium. That "neck" on the elevation fine adjustment is quite bendable and a piece of JUNK too. Just look at the WEIGHT that liitle tiny threaded rod is pulling on.. good grief.. who ever designed the thing is a idiot. Its got a chunk of OVER weighed UNNECESSARY metal .. then its got plastic and magnesium type metals as the "pull and tweak " aparatis's.. Like what kind of engineer is that anywaY?

I dont recomend a soul touching that fine adjust mess if they dont know what they are doing PERIOD!. you can break it in a heart beat and result in one overweighed bunch of trash and One useless AT-9 as a result.

I used that fine adjustment on ALL of one AT-9> the first one i ever did and i can boast that one of the FIRST ones to hit this DMA had MY hands on it. (BEFORE THE HSP!!!)

Since then i havent touched it period its useless. Ive never scene under 99 on Hd locals to this date either (most say 100). Well untill this month when now after DTv did something (dl maybe) that the on screen meter doesnt show the 99 for some odd reason all of a sudden even after the h-20 DL .

Brother in closing .. your barking in a tree you cant even climb!

Go watch those films somemore OK?

BTW do you work for those Directech SW crooks? lol.. if not you couldve fooled me. sorry.

here is the ref to TRAIN ING i refered to.. (chuckle like heck). So ARE YOU TRAINED YET? Who is "they" anyway?
Posted By Claus
"In the Ka/Ku install training they mentioned a dead zone when you peak a small consumer dish that can have upwards of +/- .5 degree range where a Birdog, whiner, spectrum analyzer, etc will not show..."

#15 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

There ya go again with that HSP sounding noise again.. (lmao)

Brother i HAVE NEVER had a service callin my life (non EQ related)> ZERO in 12 yrs. (every dish on the North america btw) I dont work for these "hurry - up offence" and QUOTE UNQUOTE > " just getting working and get to the next one" HSP new age kids with a turnover rate and NC/NS because of over work load on a daily basis because the HSP's are in such disarray. I do it right, right!. I will face NO fines.. I will face no quota.. I AM a real PRIVATE contractor not this employee called a contractor illegal mess either. Never will i work for a MSP a HSP or any affilitated sub of one. I AM the guy that is in the proces of setting truth free . I train folks young man.. Not watch some film and listen to that noise you are subjected to.
I have awards that span 37 states.. Your talking to the one that goes behind the HSP and the MSP here in this state. When the cust's have enough of "yalls mess" the retailer calls me ( or an IC that then calls me) to save the sale /install. Wanna see pictures? want Job #'s?

Like is said.. well nevermind.. ill let you be out of respect for this forum and Clint AND EARL.. But your in the wrong tree my fair friend. Trust me.

#16 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:24 PM

I don’t wish to go into what I do for a living or brag about my ho-hum accomplishments. But, y’all obviously don’t understand why the AT9 requires the adjustments and precision to align it and you are doing your customers a disservice by pretending that you do. “I train folks young man…” Hmm, I certainly hope not to ignore important alignment steps! I also can’t remember the last time I was called a young man in the last 40 yrs but thanks for the compliment.
“Old” Bob.

There ya go again with that HSP sounding noise again.. (lmao)

Brother i HAVE NEVER had a service callin my life (non EQ related)> ZERO in 12 yrs. (every dish on the North america btw) I dont work for these "hurry - up offence" and QUOTE UNQUOTE > " just getting working and get to the next one" HSP new age kids with a turnover rate and NC/NS because of over work load on a daily basis because the HSP's are in such disarray. I do it right, right!. I will face NO fines.. I will face no quota.. I AM a real PRIVATE contractor not this employee called a contractor illegal mess either. Never will i work for a MSP a HSP or any affilitated sub of one. I AM the guy that is in the proces of setting truth free . I train folks young man.. Not watch some film and listen to that noise you are subjected to.
I have awards that span 37 states.. Your talking to the one that goes behind the HSP and the MSP here in this state. When the cust's have enough of "yalls mess" the retailer calls me ( or an IC that then calls me) to save the sale /install. Wanna see pictures? want Job #'s?

Like is said.. well nevermind.. ill let you be out of respect for this forum and Clint AND EARL.. But your in the wrong tree my fair friend. Trust me.

#17 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

I only posted that mess for your eyes. to let you KNOW that when you talk in THIS direction You ARE *NOT talking to the average poster and member here.= simple. Then ya called me "some Cowboy" lol .. now that is simply what got you the Cocky reply and accomplishment listing.
( btw i Am self admitted cocky BUT have the history to back it up ya know)
I am here(forum) for WAY more reasons than helping folks (if ya cant tell by now btw) Heck if i had a helicopter to get to these places where the HSP has been in here id be rich in a week. The evidence is right HERE sad to say.

Are you part of the Directech militia? (as i call them). Something (TOO MUCH) points me toward there when you print this mess.(training video ect) You know the JBM rackett that has this country in a NOOSE as far as DTV installs and one of the MAIN reasons i read all these Trouble calls all over this forum.

If your not then OK.. then im wrong.. But your location and replies concerning HSP-esque type propaganda are over bearing to be frank.

BTW IF you think writing all those #'s down and using that side to side wobble is Neccessary to tune this dish to the max... well never mind... i better be quiet. ( 40 yrs.. hmm... well then your close in numbers prob to me then)

#18 OFFLINE   directvfreak

directvfreak

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

For the 4 lines, connect the two current ones and then make 2, 3 foot or so "jumpers" and put a barrel connector on the end of the jumpers. Then at a later date, just attach a new cable at the dish.
Matt

#19 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:47 AM

Yes, I think…or, yes I know using the side to side wobble is necessary to set the AT9 up to survive potential interference after future 2 degree spaced Ka satellites are in operation. It’s nothing to do with peaking for signal strength, anyone can get usable signal without side-to-side wobble. Not Bamtech or any installer, tech or engineer can get the needed accuracy to reject the future satellites WITH CERTAINTY without doing the “wobble”. My only gripe with ya is your giving wrong info about an important issue on a public forum. BTW, I’m visiting friends and using their computer, I’m not from ‘round here and not HSP-esqe.
“Old” Bob

I only posted that mess for your eyes. to let you KNOW that when you talk in THIS direction You ARE *NOT talking to the average poster and member here.= simple. Then ya called me "some Cowboy" lol .. now that is simply what got you the Cocky reply and accomplishment listing.
( btw i Am self admitted cocky BUT have the history to back it up ya know)
I am here(forum) for WAY more reasons than helping folks (if ya cant tell by now btw) Heck if i had a helicopter to get to these places where the HSP has been in here id be rich in a week. The evidence is right HERE sad to say.

Are you part of the Directech militia? (as i call them). Something (TOO MUCH) points me toward there when you print this mess.(training video ect) You know the JBM rackett that has this country in a NOOSE as far as DTV installs and one of the MAIN reasons i read all these Trouble calls all over this forum.

If your not then OK.. then im wrong.. But your location and replies concerning HSP-esque type propaganda are over bearing to be frank.

BTW IF you think writing all those #'s down and using that side to side wobble is Neccessary to tune this dish to the max... well never mind... i better be quiet. ( 40 yrs.. hmm... well then your close in numbers prob to me then)

#20 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

Bama, I sincerely mean no offense dude, but prior expertise, qualifications and experience on this job notwithstanding, the AT9 is a whole new animal.

No argument you've got your fundamentals down pat, but this one is pretty special and "business as usual" with the old methods of swinging it and winging it, ain't gonna get it this time. Even I've had my thinking changed on this one. The old tried & true methods will indeed get your 101, 110 and 119 in for you, but I guarantee you're going to be off the mark on the 99 & 103 unless you do it exactly the way the book says to do it.

Indeed, the mast has to be dead-level plumb and rock-freakin'-solid, but that's just the starting point.

With all the emphasis to manufacture the AT9 dish just as cheaply as humanly possible, even going to the extent of having it made in China for Chrissakes, don't you think the designers would have whacked those micro-fine Az/El gizmos out of the bill of materials if they weren't absolutely necessary?

Think about it.

CP

spam firewall