Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Release Date For Bay Area of CA???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   roykeane

roykeane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

I called last week to have AT9 dish and HR20 installed for Aug. 27 in San Bruno, CA. First rep told me the HR20 would be available then. After reading this forum I checked back later last week and second rep said to check in again this week to make sure it was available. I just called and was transferred to installation dept. They said they still show the HR20 as only available in LA and suggested that I push back the installation for two weeks so I did. Dissapointed but want to get it done right.

#22 OFFLINE   pdvale

pdvale

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

I called DTV last night about the HR20.. said it is unavailable and should be mid-fall before it's available to me....

I am looking forward to getting the HD with the DVR... hopefully before the hockey season starts....

#23 OFFLINE   firemed509

firemed509

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:19 PM

I called DTV last night about the HR20.. said it is unavailable and should be mid-fall before it's available to me....

I am looking forward to getting the HD with the DVR... hopefully before the hockey season starts....

It will be nice to get the HR20 but they still are not broadcasting FSN BA in HD to Sacramento.

#24 OFFLINE   njdboy

njdboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

I second the hockey. Can't wait for this box to hit the Bay. I wonder if that 8/22 install noted above went through. Maybe they brought a H20 box instead by accident.

#25 OFFLINE   andbye

andbye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

Called Ironwood Communications yesterday to see if they had or knew when they would have the HR20's. I was told they currently have NO HD boxes they have no date when the HR20 will arrive but their next shipment is due on the 31st they 'hope' the HR20 is on that shipment but couldnt give any details.

Hi LockMD, Which Ironwood office did you call that gave the 31 Aug date? I talked to the main office at 800-805-8570 today and the Sacramento area office earlier at 916-643-8889; they both quoted an availabitity date of Sep 12. Have you tried scheduling an HR20 install thru DirecTV for a date earlier than the 12th? If so, what kind of deal for upgrade/swap could you get?

#26 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hi LockMD, Which Ironwood office did you call that gave the 31 Aug date? I talked to the main office at 800-805-8570 today and the Sacramento area office earlier at 916-643-8889; they both quoted an availabitity date of Sep 12. Have you tried scheduling an HR20 install thru DirecTV for a date earlier than the 12th? If so, what kind of deal for upgrade/swap could you get?

Yes, I've tried but no results. I may call again this weekend, not sure yet.

I called the Hayward office, they are the ones that service Concord, CA.

Remember she said thier next truck is coming on the 31st she didnt know what was going to be on it. She stated they have no HD boxes at the moment include the TiVo (HR10-250).

#27 OFFLINE   njdboy

njdboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Just got off the phone with Customer Retention, she said it came out in LA today (hasn't it been like two weeks?). She said Bay Area is late August - early September. I asked what my cost would be, as I currently have the HR10-250. She said cost is $399 for LA, but was clueless to what Bay Area would be, she seemed to think it would be different. She said just the receiver alone was $700 and that it was an "awesome" deal for me at $399. I mentioned I was 5 hearts, blah blah, and she seemed to think for $399 they were losing money. Oh well, I figure I will call back and get another rep when it actually comes out. It seems like they are sticking to their $399, especially because they have no box to sell me.

#28 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

:mad: If they stick to their guns and charge 399 for the installation, I'm calling Comcast before I get off the phone w/ D*. No way in hell I'm paying 399 for something I don't own.

#29 OFFLINE   cad4ty

cad4ty

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

Just tried to get the new HR20. Told sometime in September for SF area. No one is selling on eBay yet.

#30 OFFLINE   Jomanscool2

Jomanscool2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

According to DirecTv themselves (as of 1 hour ago), "The HR20 is not supposed to be available in the SanFran Bay Area for another 3-6 weeks, and that any boxes installed in the area were mistakes."

lol lyk i didn't already know that last part

Edit: I was also told I may be able to recieve a free one for a valued customer? Lets just hope its not one of their leases....

#31 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

even if the hr20 is not available in your area it is nice to call customer retention as many times as you have to until you get someone that will give u the upgrade for free.....then they can at least make a note on your account so that when the hr20 is available to you ..and when you call in it wont have to be a hassle. i think it took me 5 calls to customer retention before i got a csr that offered me all new equipment, including the hr20, for free and he said i didnt have to give them my hr10 either since i owned it and paid 1000 bucks for it. i just wanted to get the "negotiating" out of the way so i wouldnt have to do it later......however i will wait a while even after the hr20 is avail in my area for them to work the bugs out. no need to upgrade yet since my hr10 works just fine and i get all my ota's just fine. besides from what i am reading so far it seems the hr10 is a superior product.

#32 OFFLINE   rbutler

rbutler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

I called two months ago (long before the LA pilot) and make a huge stink and got them to agree to the free upgrade.

I called two weeks ago (day after the first unit hit LA) and got an install date of last week. I called 4 times in the days leading up to the install and confirmed that the installer would have the HR20, all said "yes". Sure enough......he shows up with the HR15. I called back, and get the answer "they are only availble in LA. I see we told you they were available. Sorry about that."

I have called since then to confirm again that my records are very clear stating that the upgrade is free. So far every CSR has found that quickly on my record so when the unit starts to hit NorCal, I should be good. But I can't count how many times D* has screwed me, so I don't assume anything anymore. I would have switched to Comcast, but I hate their DVR.

#33 OFFLINE   Wally of Escondido

Wally of Escondido

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:55 PM

I finally after two weeks talking to so many people talked to a lady today at D-tv that knew what was going on.

What I learned:

1. The phone calls and mailings to upgrade to the HR20 w/AT9 dish are early.
2. LA is in fact a roll-out test area.
3. People on the dbstalk VIP signup list will be contacted around Sept. 13th.
4. HR20s will start shipping outside of LA the last week of September.
5. If you set a install date before the 13th of Sept you will get a H10.
6. Put your name on the VIP list and wait till next month.

#34 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

I finally after two weeks talking to so many people talked to a lady today at D-tv that knew what was going on.

What I learned:

2. LA is in fact a roll-out test area.

Now that IS news.

Thanks for the other info. I hope that they live up to the dates...

Call another CSR tomorrow, get a different answer.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#35 OFFLINE   mfb

mfb

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

I setup my brother in law in Pasadena last week. Installed on 8/25.

I called D on Monday and will have my HR20 installed on 9/1. I'm in Petaluma.

No charge for the dish w/ only $20 for S/H.

marty

#36 OFFLINE   rodwslc

rodwslc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

marty

mfb - Please report back after your install is done and let us know if you indeed did get an HR20. So far no one has reported that they got a HR20 when the installer has shown up. The installers have only been coming with the HR10 even though people have been calling D* to confirm that they will be bringing an HR20.

I hope that you get the HR20! Keep us posted. Thanks

#37 OFFLINE   pdawg17

pdawg17

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

marty

So free HR20 for you too, huh? What is your story (purchased HR10, high monthly payment, etc)...

#38 OFFLINE   andbye

andbye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

Posters have reported scheduling HR20 installs for early Sep from Fla,Tex, Colo, and Bay area and some have confirmed with D* that the model will be HR20. Ironwood installers that service Concord say they are getting a shipment on Aug 31 and Sacto area Ironwood installers told me Tuesday they would have them by Sep 12 and to go ahead and set up an appointment thru D*. I tried with two different retention CSRs for appt for Sep 14. Both said no and not avail in Sacto area till after Sep 20 or later. I talked date for free upgrade and they talked undetermined availability and purchase price. Said couldn't annotate my account; would send an email. D* CSRs don't seem to have info on what stock/shipents installers have. Where is the distribution point that ships to installers? Anyone have info on Sacto area HR20 availability date??

#39 OFFLINE   mfb

mfb

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

So free HR20 for you too, huh? What is your story (purchased HR10, high monthly payment, etc)...

I'm a little surprised that I got the 9/1 date.

I negotiated the following for my brother-in-law:

I went thru two reps (via retention) to get the following:

$420 charge - $399 + $20 S/H
$250 credit
Free HD package for 12 months
Free SHO for six months.

I was on the phone with D on Monday (helping with initiating an H20 for their back room). I asked the guy about the HR20 for me and he told me it was available. Told me $399. I figured I would have to go thru another long negotiating ordeal. I mentioned that I was waiting for the HR20 and told by previous reps that the upgrade would be free. He came back with "ok, we'll just charge you S/H".

We both had the HD Tivo and long standing customers. We both have the basic packages (<$60/mo)

I'll post on Friday if it becomes reality.

marty

#40 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Well I just got off the phone with Ironwood in Hayward, they did receive their shipment and there were no HR20's on it. :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...