Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Release Date For Bay Area of CA???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

Par for the course I guess. Does anyone know if the NFL Sunday Ticket HD games will be MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 this year? If it is MPEG-2, I'm good for a while and can wait. If it's MPEG-4, the sooner I get the HR20, the better.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

Par for the course I guess. Does anyone know if the NFL Sunday Ticket HD games will be MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 this year? If it is MPEG-2, I'm good for a while and can wait. If it's MPEG-4, the sooner I get the HR20, the better.

MPEG 2

#43 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

Thanks, now I don't have to worry as much :)

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   andbye

andbye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

Well I just got off the phone with Ironwood in Hayward, they did receive their shipment and there were no HR20's on it. :(

Of course I'm not in the Hayward area, but I checked wth them anyway -- said they expected another shipment on 4th or 5th Sep that would include HR20s. Please let us know what date you get scheduled.

#45 OFFLINE   LA Mark

LA Mark

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

From DirecTV El Segundo office.

After much deliberation it has been decided that the bay area will Not receive the HR20, furthermore all customers in this area will be exclude from all future hardware and software upgrades.

Just Kidding, I hope you all get it soon.

When the installer comes out, make sure he aligns the dish to 99 and 103, my first installer did not. Also be sure he forces a download at the first welcome screen, you will have far fewer problems. If you connect only with a HDMI cable during the download you will not see the download in progress, it could make things more confusing and complicated. Use some other method for the video connection temporarily.

#46 OFFLINE   grace5

grace5

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

This afternoon got HR20 scheduled for install on 9/11/06. Could have had it installed as early as 9/9. Live in Sacramento area.

Went through CSR and Retention

HR20 No Charge
Additional standard receiver No Charge
Shipping single charge of $19.95
Free HD for 4 months

#47 OFFLINE   andbye

andbye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

This afternoon got HR20 scheduled for install on 9/11/06. Could have had it installed as early as 9/9. Live in Sacramento area.

Went through CSR and Retention

HR20 No Charge
Additional standard receiver No Charge
Shipping single charge of $19.95
Free HD for 4 months

GREAT GOING GRACE - What company is scheduled to do your installation? I am in Roseville and D* always sends Ironwood (local: 916-643-8889) (main office:1-800-805-8570) and they keep telling me HR20s won't be received till Sep 12 and D* Retention keeps telling me that they haven't been told when they can schedule installs for the Sacto area.
Do you mind answering if you have the NFL Sunday Ticket? Did you already have an HD Receiver

#48 OFFLINE   grace5

grace5

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

andbye: I haven't gotten the name of the installer yet. I plan on giving D* till tomorrow afternoon to pass the word down. Then I will call to double check the order. But it does show up on my D* account. However, I made a mistake on the install date. It is actually 9/12. Should have looked at the calendar to check what day Tuesday was. But really doesn't matter as they did offer 9/9 originally.

I do not have NFL Sunday Ticket or any other special program packages - just the basic Total Choice. And I do not have nor have I ever had a HD receiver or a DVR before.

#49 OFFLINE   Art

Art

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:48 AM

is 5 LNB dish compatible with MPEG-2 receivers? In other words can I use my current Tivo 10-250 DVR and HR20 both at same time?

Anybody?

#50 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

is 5 LNB dish compatible with MPEG-2 receivers? In other words can I use my current Tivo 10-250 DVR and HR20 both at same time?

Yes.

#51 OFFLINE   mfb

mfb

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

HR20 installed and working great. Took about 20 minutes to download and setup the new STB.

I already had the 5LNB dish.

Installer was out of Santa Rosa and siad this was their first one.

marty

#52 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

HR20 installed and working great. Took about 20 minutes to download and setup the new STB.

I already had the 5LNB dish.

Installer was out of Santa Rosa and siad this was their first one.

marty

I'd be very curious to see how well the local HD channels look and perform for you on this box. I understand the feed from the local affiliates to DirecTV is over an antenna vs. fiber optic like Comcast.

When I lived in MV, I could get local OTA, but I imagine in Petaluma, no such luck for comparison?

#53 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

I just got off the phone with D* Retention Rep. and got the HR20 for $19.95 and an install on 9/9.:hurah: I called Ironwood in Santa Rosa and made sure they indeed have the HR20 in stock and were installing them before I made the appointment. I then called D* back and talk to another rep to schedule my appointment. She did everything that the first Rep said and only charge the $19.95 handling fee.

I only had to make one call :hurah: to get the HR20 for just the $19.95 handling charge and no return of my H20 or HR10-250. She said the installer could run the one extra cable from the 5LBN dish they installed when they put in the H20 to have both the HR20 and HR10 running.

I could not believe it was that easy. The reps I talked to were extremely nice and knowledgeable one even said they didn't know what area had the HR20s ready to install. That's when I doubled check with Ironwood to find out if that was the box they were installing. :hurah:

I can't wait to record all the new season HD shows. ;)

#54 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

I just got off the phone with D* Rentention Rep. and got the HR20 for $19.95 and an install on 9/9.:hurah: I called Ironwood in Santa Rosa and made sure they indeed have the HR20 in stock and were installing them before I made the appointment. I then called D* back and talk to another rep to schedule my appointment. She did everything that the first Rep said and only charge the $19.95 handeling fee.

I only had to make one call :hurah: to get the HR20 for just the $19.95 handleing charge and no return of my H20 or HR10-250. She said the installer could run the one extra cable from the 5LBN dish they installed when they put in the H20 to have both the HR20 and HR10 running.

I could not believe it was that easy. The reps I talked to were extremely nice and knowledgeable one even said they didn't know what area had the HR20s ready to install. That's when I doubled check with Ironwood to find out if that was the box they were installing. :hurah:

I can't wait to record all the new season HD shows. ;)

See previous post and please report back local affiliate HD quality.

#55 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

See previous post and please report back local affiliate HD quality.

I have the same problem in Lucas Valley. No OTA, so I got the H20 HD receiver from D* when it came out. All but FOX KTVU channel 2 look great. Fox has always had digital blocking and noise. Maybe the HR20 will be better. I will post once it is installed.

#56 OFFLINE   mfb

mfb

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I'd be very curious to see how well the local HD channels look and perform for you on this box. I understand the feed from the local affiliates to DirecTV is over an antenna vs. fiber optic like Comcast.

When I lived in MV, I could get local OTA, but I imagine in Petaluma, no such luck for comparison?

I had OTA channels via a Channel Master 4248 and Winegard pre-amp. Got all of the channels from Sutro. This was prior to the DNS and now locals via MPEG4.

On my setup, Pio 1120 plasma, I could't tell a performance difference across all three options. I also had an H20 w/ the MPEG4 capability.

I have removed the OTA antenna and will use the HR20 for both MPEG2 and MPEG4 HD. I'm assuming the DNS channels will go away sooner than later.

Hope this helps.

marty

#57 OFFLINE   loubolb

loubolb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

I called this afternoon and have a install setup for tomorrow between 1-5.

#58 OFFLINE   Schoenbaum

Schoenbaum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

Ironwood out of Santa Rosa is supposed to be here in the next 30 min to install an AT9, run an extra line, and hook up my HR20.

- Mark

#59 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:05 PM

I had OTA channels via a Channel Master 4248 and Winegard pre-amp. Got all of the channels from Sutro. This was prior to the DNS and now locals via MPEG4.

On my setup, Pio 1120 plasma, I could't tell a performance difference across all three options. I also had an H20 w/ the MPEG4 capability.

I have removed the OTA antenna and will use the HR20 for both MPEG2 and MPEG4 HD. I'm assuming the DNS channels will go away sooner than later.

Hope this helps.

marty

Really?!! With your decent monitor, I am suprised that D* can match OTA quality from Sutro. Did you compare fast moving content like sports?

#60 OFFLINE   G_Money

G_Money

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

I called this afternoon and have a install setup for tomorrow between 1-5.

I called yesterday and got an installation scheduled for Sept. 7th. That supposedly is the first one available. (How are people getting next day appointments?)

Even with that date, the Retention CSR said that their system still doesn't show the HR20 as available. I said to go ahead and make the appt. and hopefully, I can talk to them and confirm availability before they show up.

I did get an email yesterday from D* - stating that the HR20 is available.

If all goes well, I should be watching the NFL kickoff in HD!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...