Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Release Date For Bay Area of CA???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   mfb

mfb

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

HR20 installed and working great. Took about 20 minutes to download and setup the new STB.

I already had the 5LNB dish.

Installer was out of Santa Rosa and siad this was their first one.

marty

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

HR20 installed and working great. Took about 20 minutes to download and setup the new STB.

I already had the 5LNB dish.

Installer was out of Santa Rosa and siad this was their first one.

marty

I'd be very curious to see how well the local HD channels look and perform for you on this box. I understand the feed from the local affiliates to DirecTV is over an antenna vs. fiber optic like Comcast.

When I lived in MV, I could get local OTA, but I imagine in Petaluma, no such luck for comparison?

#53 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

I just got off the phone with D* Retention Rep. and got the HR20 for $19.95 and an install on 9/9.:hurah: I called Ironwood in Santa Rosa and made sure they indeed have the HR20 in stock and were installing them before I made the appointment. I then called D* back and talk to another rep to schedule my appointment. She did everything that the first Rep said and only charge the $19.95 handling fee.

I only had to make one call :hurah: to get the HR20 for just the $19.95 handling charge and no return of my H20 or HR10-250. She said the installer could run the one extra cable from the 5LBN dish they installed when they put in the H20 to have both the HR20 and HR10 running.

I could not believe it was that easy. The reps I talked to were extremely nice and knowledgeable one even said they didn't know what area had the HR20s ready to install. That's when I doubled check with Ironwood to find out if that was the box they were installing. :hurah:

I can't wait to record all the new season HD shows. ;)

#54 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

I just got off the phone with D* Rentention Rep. and got the HR20 for $19.95 and an install on 9/9.:hurah: I called Ironwood in Santa Rosa and made sure they indeed have the HR20 in stock and were installing them before I made the appointment. I then called D* back and talk to another rep to schedule my appointment. She did everything that the first Rep said and only charge the $19.95 handeling fee.

I only had to make one call :hurah: to get the HR20 for just the $19.95 handleing charge and no return of my H20 or HR10-250. She said the installer could run the one extra cable from the 5LBN dish they installed when they put in the H20 to have both the HR20 and HR10 running.

I could not believe it was that easy. The reps I talked to were extremely nice and knowledgeable one even said they didn't know what area had the HR20s ready to install. That's when I doubled check with Ironwood to find out if that was the box they were installing. :hurah:

I can't wait to record all the new season HD shows. ;)

See previous post and please report back local affiliate HD quality.

#55 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

See previous post and please report back local affiliate HD quality.

I have the same problem in Lucas Valley. No OTA, so I got the H20 HD receiver from D* when it came out. All but FOX KTVU channel 2 look great. Fox has always had digital blocking and noise. Maybe the HR20 will be better. I will post once it is installed.

#56 OFFLINE   mfb

mfb

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I'd be very curious to see how well the local HD channels look and perform for you on this box. I understand the feed from the local affiliates to DirecTV is over an antenna vs. fiber optic like Comcast.

When I lived in MV, I could get local OTA, but I imagine in Petaluma, no such luck for comparison?

I had OTA channels via a Channel Master 4248 and Winegard pre-amp. Got all of the channels from Sutro. This was prior to the DNS and now locals via MPEG4.

On my setup, Pio 1120 plasma, I could't tell a performance difference across all three options. I also had an H20 w/ the MPEG4 capability.

I have removed the OTA antenna and will use the HR20 for both MPEG2 and MPEG4 HD. I'm assuming the DNS channels will go away sooner than later.

Hope this helps.

marty

#57 OFFLINE   loubolb

loubolb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

I called this afternoon and have a install setup for tomorrow between 1-5.

#58 OFFLINE   Schoenbaum

Schoenbaum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

Ironwood out of Santa Rosa is supposed to be here in the next 30 min to install an AT9, run an extra line, and hook up my HR20.

- Mark

#59 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:05 PM

I had OTA channels via a Channel Master 4248 and Winegard pre-amp. Got all of the channels from Sutro. This was prior to the DNS and now locals via MPEG4.

On my setup, Pio 1120 plasma, I could't tell a performance difference across all three options. I also had an H20 w/ the MPEG4 capability.

I have removed the OTA antenna and will use the HR20 for both MPEG2 and MPEG4 HD. I'm assuming the DNS channels will go away sooner than later.

Hope this helps.

marty

Really?!! With your decent monitor, I am suprised that D* can match OTA quality from Sutro. Did you compare fast moving content like sports?

#60 OFFLINE   G_Money

G_Money

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

I called this afternoon and have a install setup for tomorrow between 1-5.

I called yesterday and got an installation scheduled for Sept. 7th. That supposedly is the first one available. (How are people getting next day appointments?)

Even with that date, the Retention CSR said that their system still doesn't show the HR20 as available. I said to go ahead and make the appt. and hopefully, I can talk to them and confirm availability before they show up.

I did get an email yesterday from D* - stating that the HR20 is available.

If all goes well, I should be watching the NFL kickoff in HD!

#61 OFFLINE   Schoenbaum

Schoenbaum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

Tech just left about 1 hour ago. Still fine tuning the box, but it sure is nice to have HD locals.

We did have some problems with activation, but once we got it working it looks great.

So far the only problem I have noticed is the Caller ID bug but I have not played around much with the DVR features yet.

- Mark

#62 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

I just got off the phone with D* Retention Rep. and got the She said the installer could run the one extra cable from the 5LBN dish they installed when they put in the H20 to have both the HR20 and HR10 running.

Do you currently get HD-DNS from LA on your HR10?

I'd be interested to see if we can keep HD-DNS on the HR10 and local HD on the HR20.

#63 OFFLINE   njdboy

njdboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

My third attempt was today to get it for free. CSR was pretty tough and seemed to know his stuff. He said it is only available in LA area, he said anything on the web saying installations are outside the LA area are false. He said when those people get an install it will be H20. He offered me a $250 credit to when it comes out in my area. He said I should receive a postcard in the mail saying its available, and that the email only means you can get it at Best Buy for $399.

I wasn't sure to take the credit or not, because I don't really want to pay $150 when I paid a ton for the H10-250. I took it and figured it's better than nothing, and that I can argue later on if need be.

#64 OFFLINE   loubolb

loubolb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

Got my HR20 and 5 LNB dish installed yesterday and it was the first one that the installer had seen. No problems during setup and the tech did a force download (hit 2 4 6 8 on the remote during the first screen after powering on).

I've been a Direct Tivo guy for years and the HR20 is going to take some getting used to although the caller ID on screen is pretty cool im not a big fan of the guide or procedure for scheduling season passes (series links).

The installer said that Ironwood in Morgan Hill had a bunch of the HR20's and I talked to best buy in Gilroy and they have it listed as in route.

#65 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

Do you currently get HD-DNS from LA on your HR10?

I'd be interested to see if we can keep HD-DNS on the HR10 and local HD on the HR20.

Yes, I get ABC and CBS. I have been recording all the shows last season on those two channels. For some reason D* had my local NBC affiliate in Sacramento instead of San Jose so Sacramento station wouldn't sign the waivers. Same with Fox, no waivers. I got a letter the other day that said my DNS LA stations would not be shut off for now. Don't now how long that will last but with the HR20 I won't need them. Although I will miss Dallas Raines Weather forecasts for LA:grin:

#66 OFFLINE   duffin

duffin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

Yes, I get ABC and CBS. I have been recording all the shows last season on those two channels. For some reason D* had my local NBC affiliate in Sacramento instead of San Jose so Sacramento station wouldn't sign the waivers. Same with Fox, no waivers. I got a letter the other day that said my DNS LA stations would not be shut off for now. Don't now how long that will last but with the HR20 I won't need them. Although I will miss Dallas Raines Weather forecasts for LA:grin:

Do you get LA HD-DNS on your HR20 as well as local HD affiliates?

#67 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:08 PM

Do you get LA HD-DNS on your HR20 as well as local HD affiliates?

I haven't gotten the HR20 yet. Install is for 9/9. I have the HR10-250 and the H20 HD receiver. The H20 gets both the LA feeds (Mpeg 2) as well as HD locals (Mpeg 4).

#68 OFFLINE   njdboy

njdboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

It seems a lot of people who got in are East Bay and really South (morgan hill). Anyone from San Jose or that area get an install date? I am wondering if my area doesn't have shipments yet. 2 retention operators couldn't even process it for me they said.

#69 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

I am between Oakland and Sacramento and although I have not made an install appointment as yet (still negotiating price) I was told two days ago that the local installer here (waited on hold while she said she called them) does have them available and I could set up an install date if I wanted the offer she was making. 150 dollars off the 399 price plus 10 dollars a month for a year programming credit and 10 dollars a month for 6 months for HBO credit.
Not quite enough yet;)

#70 OFFLINE   408SJC

408SJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:28 PM

It seems a lot of people who got in are East Bay and really South (morgan hill). Anyone from San Jose or that area get an install date? I am wondering if my area doesn't have shipments yet. 2 retention operators couldn't even process it for me they said.

I did took eight calls and about a half hour last night to get the right csr for an install date on thurs 9/7. we'll see what ironwood brings but the order reciept says D* HD DVR (Expanded HD Prog. Capable) so im hopeful. only 19.99 ship 1.65 tax. So keep trying dont give up and youll get one

#71 OFFLINE   w2334

w2334

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

I spoke to 6 different CSR/retention agents for 40 minutes (same call).

All except the last two CSRs said the HR20 was only available through D* in the LA market and available outside the LA mkt exclusively through BB until mid September.

First offer from D* $399

Second offer from D* $199

Final offer from D* $19.95 ( inc. install - new dish etc, relocate old hd tivo, and 4 months free Showtime)

Install is scheduled for next Monday.

I do believe that the first 4 or so CSRs only knew what their computer screens told them ( i.e. - only available in the LA mkt)

Don't take 'no' from someone who isn't authorized to say 'yes'

#72 OFFLINE   loubolb

loubolb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:42 AM

I never had a HR10 and was able to get the CSR to bring the price down to $299 on the first try. Also the very first CSR I talked to had me setup within 10 minutes and I had an appointment for install the next day!

#73 OFFLINE   njdboy

njdboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:02 AM

I spoke to 6 different CSR/retention agents for 40 minutes (same call).

All except the last two CSRs said the HR20 was only available through D* in the LA market and available outside the LA mkt exclusively through BB until mid September.

First offer from D* $399

Second offer from D* $199

Final offer from D* $19.95 ( inc. install - new dish etc, relocate old hd tivo, and 4 months free Showtime)

Install is scheduled for next Monday.

I do believe that the first 4 or so CSRs only knew what their computer screens told them ( i.e. - only available in the LA mkt)

Don't take 'no' from someone who isn't authorized to say 'yes'

What was your strategy for getting it down even further? Did you threaten to cancel? Right now I am at $150 off but non availability for my area.

#74 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Got my HR20 and 5 LNB dish installed yesterday and it was the first one that the installer had seen. No problems during setup and the tech did a force download (hit 2 4 6 8 on the remote during the first screen after powering on).

I've been a Direct Tivo guy for years and the HR20 is going to take some getting used to although the caller ID on screen is pretty cool im not a big fan of the guide or procedure for scheduling season passes (series links).

The installer said that Ironwood in Morgan Hill had a bunch of the HR20's and I talked to best buy in Gilroy and they have it listed as in route.

You have a phone number for Ironwood? I couldn't google one locally. I figure if I call D* and tell them the installer just told me they have them it might help in getting one installed.

#75 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

Well, just called the 800 number and she put me on hold while she called the local company. Was told they wouldn't have them until the 14th or 15th. I would think if Morgan Hill has them, then San Jose does too.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...