Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Release Date For Bay Area of CA???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

I just realized Ironwood left the old dish out behind the house where they were working. Is this standard or should I call them to come clean up their mess?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

I just realized Ironwood left the old dish out behind the house where they were working. Is this standard or should I call them to come clean up their mess?

They left my old dish on my ground in IL. Apex company. I think standard.

Even when I quit E* they did not want the equipment. I had to take the LNB's and receivers and ship them back because they were leased. D* doesn't care about the LNB's. That's Charlie for you.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#143 OFFLINE   Twosted

Twosted

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:39 PM

My guess is that somewhere along the line, someone looked closely at my account, realized I'd already received a lot of credits and that was as far as they would go. I assume the calls are logged and the last person could see all of my "tries".... who knows...in the end I'm still very happy with the deal and can't wait to get installed.

Well I just had my HR20 installed on Saturday. I got the $20 s&h deal and HD package free for 4 months. I had already been receiving a $20 a month for 6 months credit and $50 dollar instant credit from when I ordered Sunday Ticket. I have been a customer for 7 years and have had thier premium package and HD programing from day one. Now it is a process you have to be patient with. I didn't get the deal until my 7th call to customer retention. I was very frustrated. And it wasn't the only deal I was offered. One rep said he would credit my account $299 if I bought it from Best Buy. At the time it was $399 on the BB website (I found that out after I hung up). When I called back I got a different CSR and she said she didn't even know how he was able to do that.

#144 OFFLINE   Twosted

Twosted

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

I was told all they can do is order a HD recording box. They don't have an option to pick which one so you get what your installer has.

Not true. The last woman I talked to in customer retention tried calling the local installer to see if they had any. They never answered. So she sent out a work order with the HR20 on it and told me if they had it they would install it. If not the local installer would call me to reschedule. Like I said in my previous post, got my HR20 installed on Sat.. On a side note, the guy who installed it said he has been doing at least one a day.

#145 OFFLINE   Darkshade

Darkshade

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:20 PM

Installation was completed this past Sunday, 9/17. Everything is working perfectly as far as I can tell (only had the box for a day so far). They let me keep my old HR10-250 and when I activated the new HR20 they said the box was shown as being owned and not leased...excellent.

I also had the $99 charge to credit card and then $99 credit added to my bill. Overall I am very pleased with DTV and the way they handled the my HR20 upgrade. :)

Edit: Also, the Ironwood guy came out to my house with 3 HR20s just for my job because I guess they have been having problem with the units being duds, etc. The first one he tried booted up and worked flawlessly to this point.

#146 OFFLINE   G_Money

G_Money

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Is there anyone who has gotten their HR20 installed by Ironwood-Hayward? My appointment is scheduled for Wed. (9/20) and I'm wondering if I would be their first one.

#147 OFFLINE   rodwslc

rodwslc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

Is there anyone who has gotten their HR20 installed by Ironwood-Hayward? My appointment is scheduled for Wed. (9/20) and I'm wondering if I would be their first one.

I got my HR20 installed yesterday (9/17) by Ironwood-Hayward. I am in Lafayette.

#148 OFFLINE   G_Money

G_Money

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

I got my HR20 installed yesterday (9/17) by Ironwood-Hayward. I am in Lafayette.

Wow - a Sunday appointment even. Good to know I won't be the first. Crossing my fingers that they have the unit still in stock by Wed.

#149 OFFLINE   ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

After the 3rd try, I finally was able to order the HR20. The second time I tried, the CSR told me the payment timed out on their side and they would call back to confirm in 24-48 hours (they never did).

So I called back this morning, deal was $99 + tax and S&H but with the S&H credited to my account. (The second time I called there was no S&H, and no free DVR either).

They said the earliest date for installation was October 4th. :mad:

I'm just tired of being jerked around and told something different every time I call.

#150 OFFLINE   sequoiadean

sequoiadean

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

I called yesterday to order the HR20, after calling on Friday as well. They were unable to complete my order for some reason then. So yesterday I called retention again, and they said the receivers are out of stock and that I should call back in a week or two. But I did get it confirmed for $99, with $10 off HD pack for 6 months and free Showtime and Starz for 3 months, so almost free. Then the nice customer service rep talks to me about NFLST, and I said it was too expensive. She offered it to me for $100 off, and free super fan, so I took it - $150 total. Oh, I already have an HR10-250, and a hughes HD receiver, so I'll still be able to watch all the HD games, just won't be able to do interactive stuff for a little bit.

#151 OFFLINE   mcl

mcl

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

I had my install scheduled through Ironwood for between 1-5pm Monday (9/19). After numerous calls to both D* Retention and Ironwood, I got a call from the installer around 5:30pm saying he'd be out around 8pm.

He showed up at about 8:15pm Monday night, and said he couldn't do the install, because they didn't tell him it was an apartment. At that point, I'd already gone through mad and come out the other side (I worked from home on Monday to accomodate the installation). He told me that the 5-LNB dish wouldn't fit on the tripod my 3-LNB dish used, as it was too heavy and the pole diameter's bigger.

However, he told me he'd come out at 6pm Tuesday after he finished his orders, with the proper equipment, and get me set up.

Tuesday (9/20, last night) rolls around, and I hadn't heard from him. I'd left work a bit early to make it home in time to meet him at 6. By 6:30, I called him to see what was going on (he'd called me the previous night trying to find my address, and I had his number on Caller ID). He told me he was in San Mateo and headed down right then.

He showed up at 7:50, with the 5-LNB dish, the HR20-700, and a wooden pallette on which to mount the dish and stalk. I carried the dish and receiver up while he handled the pallette.

The installation went very smoothly, except his call to D* to activate, where he had to go several rounds in explaining that it was an HR20, not an H20. The D* rep ended up having to cancel and re-activate the card for some reason or other (I was only half paying attention).

In the process, we were chatting, and it seems that Ironwood only has 100 people in the entire Bay Area, and they're working from about 6:30am until 8-9pm every night dealing with the HR20 installs. The installer seemed to know what he was doing, and even got the TV set up correctly (an older Panasonic plasma with component and VGA inputs.) The only thing I had to tweak was enabling DD, since I use optical out to my A/V receiver.

He was done in about 30 minutes, and the dish, though enormous, doesn't seem to be occupying significantly more space on my patio than the previous triple-LNB/tripod combo was.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the installation, even if I did get incredibly frustrated on Monday. I tipped him $20, in part because he did an end-run around the whole installation resceduling nightmare for me.

#152 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

That's good. I am due to have mine installed next Wednesday (27th). The first available at the time was 1-5 on Tues, but having run through this problem on the Mover's program last year I knew the afternoon was a crap shoot. I asked them to put me in 8-12 on Wed instead so that it would be more likely to be done at a reasonable hour.

It also helps that work is only 2.5 miles from home, so it will be easy to go in when it's done.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#153 OFFLINE   mcl

mcl

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

That's good. I am due to have mine installed next Wednesday (27th). The first available at the time was 1-5 on Tues, but having run through this problem on the Mover's program last year I knew the afternoon was a crap shoot. I asked them to put me in 8-12 on Wed instead so that it would be more likely to be done at a reasonable hour.

It also helps that work is only 2.5 miles from home, so it will be easy to go in when it's done.

I should probably mention that the only thing he did was the dish install and HR20 activation/config. I did the HR20 installation into my A/V rack myself, while he started working on the dish. I don't let anyone touch my A/V gear but me. :) Too much money invested and too much convoluted wiring going from my A/V receiver, Zektor switcher, power conditioner, etc.

#154 OFFLINE   G_Money

G_Money

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:27 PM

My install yesterday went relatively smooth. They had the HR20 this time and got everything set-up with no issues (even the 1st software update).

The only issue was that the Bay Area HD feeds were down most of the day so I didn't see any local HD until 6pm or so.

Chalk a 2nd one up to Hayward-Ironwood. Looks like everyone else should be good to go.

Oh yeah, and the installers were complaining about their long hours getting the new equipment out so be warned - be nice.

spam firewall