Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does Dish have more HD than DirecTV?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hoppy

Hoppy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:57 AM

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I went to the Dish site and I own DirecTV and it appears that Dish may have a couple extra channels (NFL and HGTV?) but finally I couldn't really tell so I thought I'd just ask.

And is the PQ as good as, better, or worse generally than DirecTV.

I'm thinking of switching if there's a significant gain in HD programming.

Hoppy

PS I thought Dish went out of business a few years ago. I guess not?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I went to the Dish site and I own DirecTV and it appears that Dish may have a couple extra channels (NFL and HGTV?) but finally I couldn't really tell so I thought I'd just ask.

Hoppy

Your joking right?

Showtime HD
Starz HDTV
HBO HD
Animania HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
Discovery HD Theater
Equator HD
National Geographic Channel HD
DISH Network PPV in HD
Film Fest HD
Food Network HD
HDNet Movies
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
World Cinema HD
HDNews
Rave HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NFL Network HD
Rush HD
WorldSport HD
Gallery HD
HDNet
HGTV HD
TNT HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD
Universal HD

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

We had a DirecTV telemarketer in our area that was telling potential customers that DISH is no longer in service. DISH still IS in business but they aren't. :D
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   jldhawk

jldhawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:31 AM

You can add (coming soon).......................INHD and 10 RSN's (Regional Sports Networks) in HD.
Not to mention all of the LOCALS in HD that are up and running (But you better be in one of the Larger Markets to get those.

I don't qualify, I have to settle for Over the Air HD Locals, and Standard Definision locals over Dish Netwok for my other NON-HD Tv's
52" JVC HD-ILA LCoS TV
Dish Network HD Gold Package
Dish VIP211 Reciever
Dish1000.2 antenna
Pioneer 7.1 DTS Surround System
Toshiba DVD/VHS with HDMI Upconversion for DVD's
Off-Air Terk HDTV-s Rooftop antenna (5 HD Channels) NBC/ABC/2-PBS/CBS off-air, 1 DTV (Fox)
Dodge Ram (Ya, it's got a HEMI) Infinity Sound System

#5 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hoppy

Hoppy,

Voom went out of business a couple of years ago. Dish Purchased their satellite and their Satellite Transponder Licenses, in the deal Dish also got access to the VOOM Channels that are now part of the HD Packages.

Lastly if you compared Dish and DirecTV's HD services you would find that currently Dish's PQ on almost all HD as well as SD is better.

John

#6 OFFLINE   toper

toper

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

Lastly if you compared Dish and DirecTV's HD services you would find that currently Dish's PQ on almost all HD as well as SD is better.

Is there a thread that details why Dtv's picture quality isn't as good as Dish?? Is there a different Mpeg4 codec being used for HD compression?Just curious as to how dish is sending more hd content with less LNB's?? Dtv requires a 5 lnb sat for the new locals and "upcomming" hd content. My neighbor is getting tons of HD - as listed in the beginning of this thread - plus HD locals with a 3lnb reciever. This is why I am confused - it seems the higher bandwidth provided would allow the picture to not be as compressed via mpeg 4 (unsure which variant). Just getting into this because I currently have Dtv but they want another 2 yrs to go to the 5 lnb sat and mpeg4 reciever. Or I could cut and switch to Dish. Who is the best from DVR perspective as well - gui wise - as far as ease of use. I am sure these have been debated before so links to other threads are appreciated. Will try out the search engine now.:rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   M5Guy

M5Guy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

From a former D* subscriber - Dish has better PQ on both SD & HD.

#8 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

I'm in the same boat. Been with D* and now have a HDTV. Looked at the lists and obviously there are more HD channels with E*, but I couldn't find an actual show line-up anywhere (waiting 2 days for a response to my email) to see if we would actually watch anything on those extra channels. I also hear that with D* new satellites that will be launching that they will also have more channels. I hate making decisions like this, it's a bit of a bummer if we switch because we currently own 2 D* SD recorder units that it would be a shame to see go. But I also want to enjoy my new TV.

I'd like to hear from folks that know about both systems. Or does anyone know where a show line-up is?

#9 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:45 AM

. . . does anyone know where a show line-up is?

Check out this link at DISH Network's website -

http://www.dishnetwo...des/index.shtml

Go to the drop down menu, then select DISH HDTV Channels and select your time zone.

This is a really nice guide - it has the HD channels split into two sets. The bottom set of channels in the guide shows the VOOM Channels which are exclusive to DISH.

I just noticed that they have not updated the guide for some of their recent additions to the HD line up. Most noteably they're missing - Food Network HD and ESPN2HD. Also keep in mind, that your market may not allow you to receive the CBS HD East and CBS HD West feeds (last 2 channels on the list).
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#10 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

Ah, missed it right in the middle of the screen. Thanks!

#11 OFFLINE   WilliamC

WilliamC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

I switched from D* almsot two months ago and the HD PQ is better on Dish. SD is the same.

#12 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

Supposedly, the HD picture quality and the quantity of channels will expand towards the beginning of next year with the launch of what I think is DirecTV's last new satellite that's supposed to take care of most of the national SD and HD additions. For now, regional sports networks and local channels are the main concern, even with the channels they currently carry that looks barely like DVD...at least on my TV.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#13 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

As with everything we "hear", take this with a grain of salt: A regional directv Rep. stated to a best buy store manager here in w. michigan that as of 1/1/07 direct will have over 60 HD NATIONALS, yes, nationals. I stated that 60 HD national channels do not EXIST right now. I was told that direct has signed contracts with many different "cable" channels to carry HD versions as soon as q4/q1 07. The implication was that these dozens of currently un-announced channels have plans in the works and are simply waiting for a carrier such as direct to make a BIG push for HD. I am VERY suspicous that this is misinformation, but time will tell.

#14 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

As with everything we "hear", take this with a grain of salt: A regional directv Rep. stated to a best buy store manager here in w. michigan that as of 1/1/07 direct will have over 60 HD NATIONALS, yes, nationals. I stated that 60 HD national channels do not EXIST right now. I was told that direct has signed contracts with many different "cable" channels to carry HD versions as soon as q4/q1 07. The implication was that these dozens of currently un-announced channels have plans in the works and are simply waiting for a carrier such as direct to make a BIG push for HD. I am VERY suspicous that this is misinformation, but time will tell.

I'm very grateful for the 15 National HD Channels and my 4 local HD Networks I currently have from DISH, PLUS the exclusive VOOM Channels as a bonus. No one I know that has DirecTV HD, or Comcast HD is happy with their package compared to what I'm receiving from DISH. I am also confident that DISH will continue to add HD Channels as they become available. I would seriously doubt any new HD Channel would be foolish enough to sign an exclusive contract with either E* or D*, so the channels should be available to both providers.

Competition will keep the playing field fairly even, but the way I'm seeing it right now, the game is nearing the end of the first quarter, and DISH has a substantial lead! DirecTV is way behind, and has a lot of ground to make up!
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#15 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

D* has been promising vast new HD content for about 2 years now, which is why I just dumped them. I'm not at all sorry, PQ and content is much better on E*.

As for the D* rep, the 'vast new content' on the new satellites has been locals, and MPEG4-encoded at that. Since D* doesn't have an HD DVR that will handle MPEG4, that's pretty useless for most of us. (They have started rolling out the HR20, but in very limited quantities.) I was also told that same thing when I first signed up for HD on D*, almost 2 years ago.

Not to sound too much like a D* basher, but I finally got fed up with endless promises about new content, new software, new hardware, and no delivery. All that seemed to happen was more downrezzing so they could cram a few more channels into the same bandwidth. Gee, do I sound bitter?

My avatar says it all.

#16 OFFLINE   Hoppy

Hoppy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

I have DirecTV and have for years, incl HD for the last year or more. Now I have a new plasma (replacing a Sony 34XBR800) and I want the best HD content and as much of it as I can get. I can only get local NBC OTA, but I have the other East feeds.

I see that Dish has many more HD channels, but is it silly stuff or quality content? Can I get Sundance and/or IFC on Dish? What is World Cinema? Is there somewhere to actually go through the Dish schedule?

Also, does Dish offer any incentive for changing to it's system from DirecTV?

Can Dish use the same wiring alredy in place for my 3 LNB oval DirecTV dish?

Does dish offer a good Tivo-based or independent PVR with dual tuners and recorder in one box, like the HR10-250 from DirecTV.

How is Dish software interface compared to the ridiculously slow DirecTV stuff?

I guess it comes down to--Is there any reason NOT to switch to Dish?

#17 OFFLINE   Harmeister

Harmeister

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:32 AM

I see that Dish has many more HD channels, but is it silly stuff or quality content? Can I get Sundance and/or IFC on Dish? What is World Cinema? Is there somewhere to actually go through the Dish schedule?

As was posted up above, you can get the schedule by looking here: http://www.dishnetwo...des/index.shtml . You said you were on eastern time, so without having to go through the combobox and clicking go, you can see the stuff here: http://dishnetwork.t...ngs/gridall.asp

Also, does Dish offer any incentive for changing to it's system from DirecTV?

You can see current offers here: http://www.dishnetwo...fer/index.shtml

Can Dish use the same wiring alredy in place for my 3 LNB oval DirecTV dish?

for the most part, yes. This is, of course, assuming that the spot where your DirectTV dish is located can see 119 and 110. They will need to take the old directtv oval down and replace it with the dish one. Depending on where you live on the east coast, you might need a second dish at 61.5 if you can't see 129. The installer will take care of all of that stuff, though.

Does dish offer a good Tivo-based or independent PVR with dual tuners and recorder in one box, like the HR10-250 from DirecTV.

Absolutely. The 622 is a great receiver. It has two sat tuners in it and one OTA tuner. This allows you to record three things at once and watch another that was previously recorded at the same time. The menu interface is snappy, very snappy, unlike the tivo interface sported by the Direct TV box (the old one anyways, haven't seen the new one).

How is Dish software interface compared to the ridiculously slow DirecTV stuff?

someone who has made the switch will have to answer this one. From what I hear, there are some terminology differences, but most if not all the functionality is there in the 622 (might depend a little on what you use, but like I said, someone else will have to answer this).

uh, no. :D

#18 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

From a former D* subscriber - Dish has better PQ on both SD & HD.

I second that!

#19 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

You would lose your east HD feeds.

#20 OFFLINE   Hoppy

Hoppy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:50 PM

You would lose your east HD feeds.

Yeah. That would be a loss, too, since that's the only way I get the networks in HD--can't get them locally except NBC. Fact is I think they turned my East Feeds on in error. I was thinking of trying to get them to turn on my NBC feed but when I called the agent said, "How come you've got the CBS, ABC, FOX feeds? I don't think you're supposed to have those." So I thanked him and hung up in a hurry.

Does anyone REALLY BELIEVE that D* is going to add a substantial number of channels by the end of Q1 '07? Say, 10 channels? 15?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...