Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Am I better off buying the R15 directly from D*Tv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cucooforcocoa

cucooforcocoa

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

I have the Samsung DVR thing in my living room with two tuners or whatever you call it so I can record two programs at once and a regular non DVR unit in the bedroom and from what I can tell there is only one prong thing on my dish but the installer mentioned something about a switch he hooked up to let me have the dual tuners in the living room......Now I want to get a DVR unit for the bedroom that will also be able to record two at once but I don't want to go via the DVR4U2 route. I don't want the extra two year commitment... I was thinking of buying the DVR wherever but then I got to thinking that I don't know if my current setup would allow me to just hook up the unit and get that feature where you can record two programs at once so I am thinking if I buy the unit from them they have to upgrade whatever equipment is necessary to have it functioning that way right??? Will they try to push me into commitment further than what I am already at??..I am finishing year one of a two year commitment.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,980 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

Now I want to get a DVR unit for the bedroom that will also be able to record two at once but I don't want to go via the DVR4U2 route.

You can certainly buy used and avoid a commitment as long as your existing hardware supports it.

I don't want the extra two year commitment...

You'll have to go to a third party to get the new receiver installed and you'll have to buy any additional hardware required. A full-service dealer can help you figure out if you have all the right thingies.

I was thinking of buying the DVR wherever but then I got to thinking that I don't know if my current setup would allow me to just hook up the unit and get that feature where you can record two programs at once so I am thinking if I buy the unit from them they have to upgrade whatever equipment is necessary to have it functioning that way right???

You can buy used anywhere you can find it. You won't be able to buy new more than likely. Again, I'd suggest going through a local full-service dealer as they can install and maybe even find you a used receiver without DirecTV getting their hooks into you.

BTW, unless you have an HDTV in your bedroom, the commitment is one year.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Activating any NEW DVR (SD or HD) will give you a two year committment.

Activating a new standard reciever will give you a one year comittment.

Not sure about activating a dvr that you buy used.

Does not matter where you get the new dvr (directly from D* or from a local retailer), the committment is the same.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

Get the 100% totally free R-15 with 100% totally free installation with the code as no matter where you get a "new" receiver/dvr the commitment is still there. Unless you plan to drop DirecTV in the next few months, once you return the receiver to DirecTV the commitment terms are prorated and the longer you have it the less the cancellation fee would be. Your commitment would only be two years not two years plus your exsisting one from before.

If you do buy something used, you would either have to install it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. That would probably be more than the cost to cancel out of any commitment as my friend was charged a little over $50 once for someone to just realign the dish. You might need a multiswitch, cable run, holes drilled, cable fished, setup of the R-15, etc....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...