Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New D* Subscriber - please check my math!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nbpc

nbpc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

Hello all,

I'm in Cincinnati and switching over from TW and am switching to D* for NFL ST/SF

I've tried to do my homework, but would like a final check...

My setup:
5 Standard TVs
1 HDTV
All cable runs are home runned. Most places have two runs (I planned during building the house :)

I'd like room to grow to a 8 or 9 setups later on down the road

I know in my aread I'm going to need an OTA HD

The current D* is:
1 free SDTV DVR (AR)
1 HD DVR (older model) for $299 after rebate
$69 for Total Premium plus ST for four months
$10 off bill for 15 months

My questions:
I've read where existing NFL ST guys are getting the HD DVR thru retention. Any luck for a new subscriber?

What's the best way to getting a quality installer? What things should I make sure they do during the install?

Any advise on asking for specific equipment?

Any chance of getting a one year committment vs two?

On the SDTV, is it possible to put one at the homerun and have the output signal go to two tvs? I know they'll both get the same channel, but they're both little used. Is there an RF Remote that I can use/buy?

Thanks again!
NB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

My questions:
I've read where existing NFL ST guys are getting the HD DVR thru retention. Any luck for a new subscriber?

What's the best way to getting a quality installer? What things should I make sure they do during the install?

Any advise on asking for specific equipment?

Any chance of getting a one year committment vs two?

On the SDTV, is it possible to put one at the homerun and have the output signal go to two tvs? I know they'll both get the same channel, but they're both little used. Is there an RF Remote that I can use/buy?

The HD DVR's being handed out by retention are not free. Still it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. The worst they could say is no.

A quality installer will be one that you hire. Check your Yellow Pages and/or ask at a high-end HDTV retailer (NOT BEST BUY OR CIRCUIT CITY!!!) You do not want the AT9 dish mounted on your roof unless you can have some guarantee and assurance that it will be rigidly anchored to a stud (or rafter) and that the supporting braces will also be anchored to studs. You do not want this thing anchored just to the OSB board (decking or underlayment) and it must be absolutely rigid and perfectly level and plumb

One year vs two? Possible I suppose but unlikely if they're giving you the equipment.

On your OTA (SDTV) signal, yes, you can split that one. You cannot split any of the satellite feeds.

The H20 receiver (and possibly the DVR) comes with an RF remote
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#3 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

I'd like room to grow to a 8 or 9 setups later on down the road

DirecTV is not the cheapest to add that many TV's. I am not sure if you know about the extra approx. $40 a month its going to cost if you do the above. Its for the DVR fee and $5 for each additional receiver.

You can output one receiver to multiple TV's with a basic $3 splitter found anywhere but you have to watch the same channel on all of them. You can buy additional remotes with remote extenders or RF remotes if supported on the receiver but I just walk to the room the receiver is in and change it manually.

I would just go with whatever FREE install you can find that includes the equipment you want. It could easily cost you $100+++ if you pick and pay someone yourself.

Some of your other questions you can find by reading these forums and see what receivers people prefer. The DirecTiVos are nice for a DVR but DirecTV is slowly discontinuing them so if your not used to the TiVo interface, it might be easier to just go with the R-15 or the new HD HR-20 I think it is. In the future all DirecTV receivers and DVR's will have that same user interface.

#4 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

I would just go with whatever FREE install you can find that includes the equipment you want. It could easily cost you $100+++ if you pick and pay someone yourself.

But it just might accidentally get done right. The contract installers DTV uses work for next to nothing and their skill set frequently comes into question. Free to have the job butchered and maybe get your roof damaged vs $100 (maybe less) to have it done right? No brainer.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

As far as checking your math, new customers only qualify for 1 $100 rebate so you either save $100 on the HR10-250 or the R15 you don't get both a "FREE" DVR and $100 off a HD DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   nbpc

nbpc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

Actually, I have TW Digital Cable which is $20 more (box + the service) and I only get it on one TV. By switching, I get HBO, ESPN News, etc, on all the boxes. For about $10 more (all things being equal), I have access to all the channels.

I have a good spot that might be a good candidate for a 2' or 3' foot pole close to the ground. Could be anchored in concrete.

Keep em comin'!

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

If you get any kind of DVR (or any kind of HD receiver/DVR), you will have a two-year commitment - no negotiation.

The one-year commitment is if the only equipment you have on your account are stand alone SD receivers (not SD DVRs).

#8 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

damaged vs $100 (maybe less) to have it done right?

Sorry I dont agree. I have had three installers, all free thru DirecTV, and have had no problems.

Please find me an installer, provide phone number for verification, that will hookup the new fancy dish, include a multiswitch without charging extra for it, run the extra cables needed, run the phone lines and splitters, install a pole setup like he wants (this might cost extra) and setup all the receivers he spoke of for less than $100. The same install DirecTV would do for free.

I will wait for the phone number.

#9 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:04 AM

Actually, I have TW Digital Cable which is $20 more (box + the service) and I only get it on one TV.

When I had cable I only paid for 1 DVR. The advantage of cable, if you ask me, is you can just ran the basic cable line with a splitter to all your other TV's. This costs nothing additional, you get all the channels from 0-99 and with Comcast at least HBO is also on the lower channel 18 so I got that too.

Of course you don't get all the channels but I only have 1 main TV and the others I really just watch just occasionally. It just depends on your use and if its worth paying extra, yeah I know its only $5 but it adds up, to have all the channels on a TV you rarely watch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...