Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Software Features D* should add to the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
327 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joekun

joekun

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

Earl mentioned that D* is watching this board so I thought we should start a single thread devoted to features that can and should be added in future software updates to make this a really great DVR. I know there are single threads devoted to certain features, but I hope that this thread can be the place where we centralize our requests and maybe D* will take a look. So here is my list (I will probably add to it as I think of more), please post your ideas.

HR20 Feature Wishlist

0) THE HR20 SHOULD NOT STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF MY WATCHING A PROGRAM TO DOWNLOAD NEW SOFTWARE. It should AT LEAST ask and allow me to say "do it later"

1) A true 30 second skip instead of slip

2) (already implemented) A "Return to live" function (Earl informed me that by holding down the 30 second slip button when delayed it will jump to live)

3) Record any program on any channel based on search criteria (similar to now but across all channels)
3a) Fix Autorecord so that it can be done based on a title search

4) Ability to jump to any point in a show by pressing the # of minutes you wish to skip and then the Advance button. This allows you to easily skip 30, 43, 67, 92, or any number of minutes ahead if you want to get to a specific part quickly. Alternatively pushing the number followed by the Previous Channel button jumps to that exact minute in the show (i.e. 40 prev would take you to the 40 minute mark of the show)

5) Ability to manually remove channels you don't get (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc) or don't want (SD channels that have HD versions) completely from your channel lineup.

6) Standardize the # of seconds the Replay button jumps back, as currently it seems to vary.

7) Pressing Guide should take you to the full guide, pressing guide a second time should take you to the channel sort page, the inverse of the way it is setup now.

8) Ability to group your recordings in to folders so that different users of the box can quickly see which of their programs have recorded and are available for viewing.

9) The "Play" option for a recorded show should remember where you left off the last time you watched that show. A new "Play from beginning" option should be added to the list to allow you to watch again from the start if you choose.

10) Series Link option to record HD, SD, or Both

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

In answer to the above post:

2) Doesn't this already exist? I'm pretty sure if you hit "Exit" while watching a recorded program will return you to live TV.

5) This feature already exists in the form of Favorites 1 & 2. You can set which one you want to be your default guide

#3 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,059 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

In answer to the above post:

5) This feature already exists in the form of Favorites 1 & 2. You can set which one you want to be your default guide

Yeah, but if you just punch in a channel number it will go to the first instance, whether or not it is in the guide. I don't know about the HR20, but the H20-600 goes to the SD version. What is needed is the ability to edit "channels I receive".

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, but if you just punch in a channel number it will go to the first instance, whether or not it is in the guide. I don't know about the HR20, but the H20-600 goes to the SD version. What is needed is the ability to edit "channels I receive".

For what ever reason, it is different in different markets.

On my H20... if I key in the channel number, it goes to the MPEG-4, then the OTA, then the SD

HR20, it goes MPEG-4, then SD sat
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

Bobnielsen, have you ever done a reset on your H20? mine was like yours a long time ago, but I thought they fixed that in an update early on. Mine will go to the MPEG4 channel first.

#6 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

7) Pressing Guide should take you to the full guide, pressing guide a second time should take you to the channel sort page, the inverse of the way it is setup now.

This is a great idea!!

8) Ability to group your recordings in to folders so that different users of the box can quickly see which of their programs have recorded and are available for viewing.

This is already there isn't it? My R15 does it.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#7 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

This is a great idea!!

This is already there isn't it? My R15 does it.

I think he means User created Folders that you put shows into. Cool idea but seems like a lot of work for little payoff. I like the folders they way they are they just store multiple versions of the same show in a folder named with the shows title.
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

1) A true 30 second skip instead of slip

Hollywood doesn't like it so the slip is what you get. Unfortunately. :(

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,954 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

I watched the R15 info show on DirecTV the other day, and I still don't have a full understanding of the HR20, so I'm not going to comment on much until I have used the HR20 for a while... but there are a couple of things I wanted to bring up.

1. One of the main problems I have with the HR10-250, and the Hughes HTL-HD receiver that I had before was a problem that doesn't affect many people... but is a feature that SHOULD be implemented for the few that it does affect. I live in the outskirts of a DMA, and receive "Grade B" coverage from TWO other DMAs, and can often receive programming from two additional DMAs allowing me to receive stations from FIVE different DMAs, but can only receive guide data from TWO DMAs.

2. I've read that the R15 (and I'm assuming the HR20) can hide folders with programming from DirecTV's adult channels. However, there is other programming on other channels ("Deadwood", perhaps a R-rated movie on HBO, or perhaps you're just ashamed of having 12 episodes of "The Flavor Of Love" on your DVR) that someone might want to keep private from their kids, or in the case of "The Flavor Of Love", everybody!!

As I said before, I do have some other things that I think DirecTV should change, add, or modify, but until I get a HR20 into my hands, and use it, I will keep them to myself.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   drawnad

drawnad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

I know it has its own thread, but I think it also belongs here:

Dual Buffers!

Also, "skip to" tics (15, 30, 45 mins)

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hollywood doesn't like it so the slip is what you get. Unfortunately. :(

It's not "Hollywood" that doesn't like it (they are only concerned about you watching and copying the shows)..

It is the advertisers that fork most of the money to the networks/channels that pay for those shows, that don't like the "skip"
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   mcaldero

mcaldero

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

I know it has its own thread, but I think it also belongs here:

Dual Buffers!

Also, "skip to" tics (15, 30, 45 mins)

Yes, dual LIVE buffers should move to the top of the list.

#13 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

I know it makes me sound like a bad parent but I would love the ability to queue up shows for playback. It gets really annoying when the kids bother me every 30 minutes to put something else on.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

I know it makes me sound like a bad parent but I would love the ability to queue up shows for playback. It gets really annoying when the kids bother me every 30 minutes to put something else on.

WHY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH WOULD......
that make you a bad parent.....

I know a LOT of parents that would kill for that feature.....

I know they are considering to extend the Mark and Delete feature to possible include a Mark and Playback feature....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,059 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Bobnielsen, have you ever done a reset on your H20? mine was like yours a long time ago, but I thought they fixed that in an update early on. Mine will go to the MPEG4 channel first.

I'll give it a try--thanks!

No change--SD, then MPEG4 HD, then OTA. This is a H20-600. I think the H20-100 is different. I originally thought that the -100 and -600 were contract-built to the same design, but apparently not, since the software versions are diffeerent.

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

-100 built by RCA I believe
-600 built by LG
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#17 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

I would like to see a function that assists in the recording a program to VCR/DVD recorder. I would like program information to preceed the recording and I would like the DVR to only send program information to tape -- none of the status messages/indicators or other DVR indicators should be sent to the VCR/DVD recorder. I would also like the DVR buttons be disabled (except the transport buttons) while the recording is being completed. If the user presses the STOP button, then prompt the user and determine wheter he really wants the recording to stop or continue.

#18 OFFLINE   joekun

joekun

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

Yes, dual LIVE buffers should move to the top of the list.

It has its own thread, I think that qualifies as "top of the list"

Also, my suggestions aren't in any particular order, other than the order they came to mind.

2) Doesn't this already exist? I'm pretty sure if you hit "Exit" while watching a recorded program will return you to live TV.

What I'm talking about is if you are playing a live show delayed, say 5-10 minutes and you want to just go back to live programming you should be able to do so with a single button press like on most other DVRs.

What is needed is the ability to edit "channels I receive".

Exactly what I was thinking.

#19 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

What I'm talking about is if you are playing a live show delayed, say 5-10 minutes and you want to just go back to live programming you should be able to do so with a single button press like on most other DVRs.

Hold down the Forward Advance button (The 30s SLIP button), for about 3 seconds... it will jump right to the end.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#20 OFFLINE   joekun

joekun

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hold down the Forward Advance button (The 30s SLIP button), for about 3 seconds... it will jump right to the end.

Cool, that worked! Revising my list.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...