Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20 - So have thing gotten better since the last update?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

For users of the H20... there was a software update for both models (-100 and -600) over the last couple months.

Have you seen any improvements?

Specifically... the fixes where targeted at correcting certain reboot issues, loosing of favorites, and some OTA issues....

From the "Grapevine" I know DirecTV is getting prepared to release the next update for teh H20's very soon...

So I wanted to do a "recap" moment to see if the latest releases have introduced anything new, or if some of the older problems have continued....

If you are having a problem.... also post how you have the unit connected... through a multiswitch? OTA Connected? ect....

Earl
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

Granted, I didn't have mine for very long before the update, but I haven't seen any noticable changes. Which is good, since I haven't really had any issues other than a random lockup or two. They're annoying, but not as annoying as it would be on a DVR or something.

But just for fun, here's the geeky tech stuff:

AT9 dish to multiswitch. H20 connects to said multiswitch.
Receiver connects to Sony TV through Dennon receiver.
Crappy radio shack OTA connected to H20.

#3 OFFLINE   RedskinsForever

RedskinsForever

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:15 AM

Granted, I didn't have mine for very long before the update, but I haven't seen any noticable changes. Which is good, since I haven't really had any issues other than a random lockup or two. They're annoying, but not as annoying as it would be on a DVR or something.

But just for fun, here's the geeky tech stuff:

AT9 dish to multiswitch. H20 connects to said multiswitch.
Receiver connects to Sony TV through Dennon receiver.
Crappy radio shack OTA connected to H20.

THAT is my fear. With the new HR20 there is going to be gaffes such as some of us are seeing timt to time with the H20. Imagine scheduling jack bauer to record only to come back to a black screen!! I'd have to sue someone!

#4 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

THAT is my fear. With the new HR20 there is going to be gaffes such as some of us are seeing timt to time with the H20. Imagine scheduling jack bauer to record only to come back to a black screen!! I'd have to sue someone!

Suing is for sissies! Just sent Jack to go kick it's butt! lol :lol: For what it's worth, I've had a few similar issues with my R15 locking up every great once in a while, and I've missed a recording or two, but nothing major or unrecoverable, and I've been very happy with it. So I'm looking forward to the HR20 being available in our market.

#5 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:55 AM

I have the 600 and the last update seem to fix the reset issues I had and "aquiring guide information" problems. Mine is hooked up thru the Zinwell multiswitch and I have an OTA hooked up.

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,996 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

Well, I only had my H20-600 for a week before the last update but never had any problems before. Now the receiver won't show any transponders on 99 in setup mode (but fortunately I can still get the **only 2** Seattle locals that DTV currently carries). assume these are on 99, since 103 shows all zeros. Other than that, which is a widely-known problem, I don't see any gotchas.

O.T.--I wish they would hurry up and carry ABC and Fox here, since I can't receive these OTA (I do get CBS and NBC OTA). The sat HD version of the NBC local has bad guide data (it always shows "weather plus") and emails to support have gone unanswered.

#7 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

I have the H20-100 and have not noticed any issues yet.

OT--I wish the sat HD Version of our local NBC as well as our MPEG4 RSN would get fixed. Video is choppy on both channels almost like watching slow motion video. And I wish the local CBS would get added.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

O.T.--I wish they would hurry up and carry ABC and Fox here, since I can't receive these OTA (I do get CBS and NBC OTA). The sat HD version of the NBC local has bad guide data (it always shows "weather plus") and emails to support have gone unanswered.

OT again... :) Call and write to your local affiliate, letting them know you want to see the feed on DirecTV... it is a two way street with these carrier arrangements.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:13 AM

I have 2 H20's
One 100 and One 600

Here is what I notice....

The 100 works great except some pixelation issues. Fast guide and no resetting.
The 600 has the SLOW guide and does not pixelate. No reset issues here.

Signal strength on the 100 is about 3-5 percentage points higher on all transponders than the 600 it replaced and the other 600 I have remaining.

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,996 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

OT again... :) Call and write to your local affiliate, letting them know you want to see the feed on DirecTV... it is a two way street with these carrier arrangements.

I did that immediately after my AT-9 was installed (I had the H20 a few weeks before, but there was backlog of dish installs). The ABC station said they were in discussions with DTV (which is what DTV said several months ago). The Fox station (actually their owner, Tribune) has reached an agreement and they said it should be available around Sept. 1 (I don't know if this affects other Tribune stations, but it might).

#11 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Earl - DirecTV is also making changes in the Local Receive Facilities in each city that now receives DirecTV HD locals. This has already been done in the Detroit MDA. This involves hardware changes and probably processing upgrades. Most MDA's should have this done by the end of September. Between the H20 software updates and the LRF improvements, things should be "looking" better,

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

Earl - DirecTV is also making changes in the Local Receive Facilities in each city that now receives DirecTV HD locals. This has already been done in the Detroit MDA. This involves hardware changes and probably processing upgrades. Most MDA's should have this done by the end of September. Between the H20 software updates and the LRF improvements, things should be "looking" better,

Cool... thanks for the update...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#13 OFFLINE   Carl

Carl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

From the "Grapevine" I know DirecTV is getting prepared to release the next update for teh H20's very soon...
Earl

Earl,would the next update have anything to do with making the H20 interactive:)
Sharp LC52D62U LCD :D
JVC AV48WP30 RPTV :)
H20-100 Sat. Rec.:sure:
HR20-100 Sat. Rec.:sure:
HR10-250 (200-250 whatever it takes):)
Yamaha RXV-750 A/V Rec.:sure:
Sony Blu-Ray SB-300:D
JVC HR-S5902 VCR
Infinity TSS-1100 HT speaker system
Sony RM-AX4000 Remote Control
Sony RM-AV2500 Remote Control
DirecTV customer sence "97"

"Come to the darkside,
we have milk and cookies."

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

Earl,would the next update have anything to do with making the H20 interactive:)

Hmm... Ever see a rasin dance?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   Carl

Carl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hmm... Ever see a rasin dance?

just those californa guys and they sang too:)
Sharp LC52D62U LCD :D
JVC AV48WP30 RPTV :)
H20-100 Sat. Rec.:sure:
HR20-100 Sat. Rec.:sure:
HR10-250 (200-250 whatever it takes):)
Yamaha RXV-750 A/V Rec.:sure:
Sony Blu-Ray SB-300:D
JVC HR-S5902 VCR
Infinity TSS-1100 HT speaker system
Sony RM-AX4000 Remote Control
Sony RM-AV2500 Remote Control
DirecTV customer sence "97"

"Come to the darkside,
we have milk and cookies."

#16 OFFLINE   bearz 34

bearz 34

Thanks Earl! Go Bears!

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

Well. sort of... I have a 600, the letters are not chopped off in the guides and info banners anymore, which is nice. The only complaint I have is that the caller ID shows up in military time. Could the new update possibly address this problem?

Earl, if you are reading this, I have a question for you... at one time, the program info banners had more information about the program you were watching. They aren't as comprehensive as they once were, but at least they aren't as vague as a D10 or D11. Whats the deal with that?

#17 OFFLINE   Gweeto

Gweeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

I ditched my H20 and went to the HR10-250 because after the last update it seems my H20 became almost unwatchable. My favorites list would erase channels several times a day and the reboots got so bad they were happening about once every 5 to 10 minutes. There are a few threads at highdefforum right now about others experience the same pains I was (highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=27097). I also had audio sync problems and some pixelization on the mpeg4. This had got better through the 2 updates but it was still happening prior to ditching it about 2 weeks ago. I had the H20 in Atlanta since it was first offered at the end of December.

Here is how I had it set up. I have an OTA (don't know the brand) and I have the 5lnb dish running through the D* installed multiswitch (Zinwell I believe). Both the OTA and Sat feeds run over outside lines then into the house and I have them terminated at switchplates. I then ran from the switchplates to the receiver.

Prior to the H20 with my old HD Samsung it worked fine but I was using a different multiswitch. Since the H20 I am using the same setup but with the HR10-250 am everything is working great. Just can't test the mpeg4 which you know.

Thanks for checking

#18 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:37 AM

I have noticed no changes in my H20-100:)
That is a good thing because it has always performed as expected.

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

Never had many problems on the H20-600, except for the reboot while editing the favorites list and the lack of active.

Do you know if the change to the 99/103 signal readings screen that was done on the last update was an error and it will be fixed or is that the way it's supposed to be working now?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

Earl, if you are reading this, I have a question for you... at one time, the program info banners had more information about the program you were watching. They aren't as comprehensive as they once were, but at least they aren't as vague as a D10 or D11. Whats the deal with that?

We have seen the same on the R15 to a degree.
Not sure if something happened on the Tirbune's side (the provider of the guide data), or if DirecTV is tweaking it...

I'll see if I can find out something
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...