Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20 - So have thing gotten better since the last update?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

Very Very old thread.... and I am certain we are not talking about the same update.

What versions are you running on your H20's
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   utahsnow

utahsnow

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Very Very old thread.... and I am certain we are not talking about the same update.

What versions are you running on your H20's

The problem with both my H20-600s just started on August 1 after they both downloaded version 0x2024 (dated 7/31 on my machines). Prior to that update, caller ID worked fine on both.

#43 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:45 AM

It's been several days now and the OTA channels still go blank, near the top and bottom of the hour. The out of ZIP channels still show no guide data even though they used to. The channels are still there to watch and remembered after a reset or CE update at least.

#44 OFFLINE   ballen2221

ballen2221

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:19 AM

My channels were also going blank, the OTA guide info was all messed up, etc. just as yours is. I received the 2024 flash last night, and all seems well now! All guide info is fixed, so have my fingers crossed!!

#45 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

My H20-600 is still running a CE release from March-2007. Have not received any national updates since then. :(

#46 OFFLINE   ngarre2

ngarre2

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:05 AM

Got the update last night here in SE louisiana....Now I can not get all the OTA channels I did before....whats up with that.....h20-600

#47 OFFLINE   BradBrening

BradBrening

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

I have an H20-100 which I received in November '06. I've never had any problems with the system until the 2020 release. Since then, it's horrible. The 2021 release may have been a little better, or it may just be my imagination. Either way, both the 2020 and 2021 releases still leave my H20 looking like a 1st grader programmed the system.

Here are my major complaints:

1) Responsiveness is still horrible. Moving around the guide, I still notice a momentary delay between pressing a button on my remote and the guide responding to the request. This is extremely noticeable on the "Find" menu where I am using the on-screen menu to select letters. It's an exercise in patience: select a letter, wait a second. Down arrow, wait a second. Down again, wait a second. Select another letter, wait a second. It can take minutes to enter a phrase to search the guide for.

2) Speaking of the "Find" menu, it doesn't work. I noticed that my searches would never find the program I'm looking for. Suspicious, I went to the Guide and found a program manually (say, This Old House). I then went to the guide and (after a couple of minutes dealing with #1 above) entered the phrase "This Old House". "This Old House" displays on the dynamic listing to the right, so I highlight it and click on it to view show times, and under "Matching Programs" it isn't there. In fact, it shows just about everything but "This Old House". Super annoying.

3) Stupid "Filter" logic. I create a Favorites list called "BRAD" that contains most of the channels I get - minus all the spanish, shopping, kids and religious channels. Then, while using this list, I press Guide, then "HD Channels". Lo and behold, ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC east and west are in the Guide! Now, none of these channels are in my favorites list, what are they doing in the "HD Channels" filter?

All in all, like I said when I started this post, it looks like a 1st grader programmed this system. I can't believe that they actually tested the software with multiple systems before they rolled it out, as that would mean someone actually noticed one or more of these issues and said "Hey, that's great! Let's go with it!"

I keep reading on here that they have another release in the works. I'll sit here hoping that more experienced programmers jumped on board and addressed some of the issues.
SpamFreeMailForm - Free information on how to stop website mail form spam.

#48 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

Earl, I missed the most recent CE for my H20-100 last weekend but the previous ones were A HUGE improvement over the national release. With the national release I had regular reboots when searching for certain keyword phrases in the guide like "NAS...". I also has terribly long delays in changing channels or scrolling the guide. Since the recent CEs these problems are now goine, no reboots, and the delay in changing channels is tolerable. It's acceptable to me, enough that we just watch it now and don't get distracted by the issues.

I hope this helps.
Technology Consultant
1 - H20, 2 - D11, 1 - H21
AT-9 Dish, DirecTV since 2000

#49 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

I have 2 H20-600 I am working off whatever the last national release was (sorry not in front of it at the moment) The box (which I do not use as my main) are fine. I have never really had an issue with them. The only thing I have noticed is the signals run 20-30 points behind my R-15-300 and my HR20-700. With the NFL upcomming I would like them to become interactive and would also like the guide to match the other boxes. The Sat signals do worry me on some level with D-10 lighting up soon.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

#50 OFFLINE   frogg

frogg

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Earl, just got NR 2024 last night on H20-600. Now have searching 771 on HD locals, and slower channel changes. Eventually, it locks on to HD local, but black screen until it does.

#51 OFFLINE   HoosierBoy

HoosierBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

I received the new national software update last night. Receivers are working great. Guide is much faster. Letters in the GUI are a new fond and titles are bolder.

Channel changing is faster than previous verisions and active features are now working well.

If we can only get two more updates, these receivers would be excellent. We still need to be able to have the HD channel be the default channel when the channel number is shared with the SD equivialent.

And we need to have the one-touch guide option.

#52 OFFLINE   cawras

cawras

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

Earl - - - as you know I have the 600 and I did get the 2024 update yesterday. The difference is dramatic. No sync issues anymore, no pixalation at all last night, guide is clearer and faster. The HD picture seems much crisper also.

#53 OFFLINE   bigbw

bigbw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

I have the H20-600 and I only have two complaints.. Two button push to get to the guide, and overall speed of the guide.. The speed has improved some with the updates, but still need to push the button twice.. Fix that and i would be a happy camper..

#54 OFFLINE   eilloc

eilloc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Have the H20-600; received the updated national software at 2:47AM on 8/28/07.

Guide is much faster--have to be more sensitive in pressing the buttons on the remote. Moving from channel to channel still has a fairly long pause except for Active button which now works but is curiously much slower in returning to previous channel.

Still noticing that there is a significant difference in sound volume when switching from SD to HD channels. Local channels on 72.5 Sat are outright loud in comparison.

Did have to run setup after new software was installed; my receiver lost all the D* channels--had only locals 9-1, 12-1, etc. which I don't get via the H20 anyway. Running setup took about 20 minutes to find the 2 dishes (AT-9 and Single LNB for locals) and load all the D* channels.

On both dishes did receive much higher transponder signals in the 90s--used to be in the 60s & 70s. Have signals on several transponders on the 99 Sat but zeroes on the 103 Sat.

Everything seems to work!

#55 OFFLINE   ballen2221

ballen2221

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

I did run into major issues with my OTA stuff last night. The main issue was the receiver went into a continuous loop of rebooting itself. Nothing I knew to try (resetting, unplugging, etc.) would fix the issue. It was on OTA channels only...the satellite channels worked fine.

I ended up calling DTV and spent well over an hour on the phone with the tech trying everything he knew, including re-flashing the receiver with 2024. Although he tried his absolute best, nothing worked, so they are sending me a new receiver.

I can't say for certain it was the new software that created the problem. The tech did say he had a "gut feel" that it might be related to the "improvements" in the ATSC handling, but who knows for sure?

I will have the new receiver on Tuesday, and will be interested to see if that fixes the problem. At least I can watch the satellite channels without the constant reboot issue.

#56 OFFLINE   creesh

creesh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:12 AM

Still having these problems as outlined on the 771 search thread. Only happening on the H20-100, since the software update on 7/30 x2021.

Happens on ATL locals (MPEG 4) and channels 70-79. I have 6 receivers and this only happens on the 2 H20's. (HR20's and HR10's) are fine. 6x8 zinwell multi

The problem is intermittent signal dropouts (clear weather) with 771 message only on the channels outlined above. Definitely not satellite specific. There seem to be dozens of people with this problem on the threads.

Earl, will there be a new software update that might fix this? Is there anyway to go back to the old software? I am at a loss of what to do.

Thanks!

#57 OFFLINE   holesnh

holesnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

I have 2 H20-600's and I put the last CE (2024) on one of them that had been rebooting 8 - 10 times a day. since the CE it's only rebooted once! My other H20 wasn't rebooting so I didn't update it at that time. well... now that one is acting up. I'll have to check to see if 2024 is available in my area (east coast). Sounds like it's available in some areas ????
FYi - I called D* prior to the 2024 CE and argued with retention that this was unacceptable (I own both boxes and don't have a protection plan). They offered replacements (including an upgrade to an HR20) if I would commit 2 years. At the time, I was debating leaving D* so I didn't take it.... now I'm thinking I should call back and get that HR20 before they change their mind!! :-)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...