Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

leaving cable who has better service and picture direct tv or dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   funlvr1965

funlvr1965

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

My wife loves football and shes tired of trying to watch football in hd and the picture looking totally compressed and looking like sd, we both want to swtich but we have no experience with direct tv or dish, we spoke briefly to dish agent that made us feel that dish had better picture and sound quality but obviously hes biased, he did say something that we liked about dish which was that you can use one box for two locations unlike cable where each room needs its own box, does direct tv's boxes work in the same way? we have a dedicated theater where we watch movies and hd on a 110" screen with a 1080p projector so we need the highest quality signal and service we would be upgrading to a hd dvr so any help would be appreciated, we live in madison wisconsin if thats any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:55 PM

I'd verify they both offer locals in HD in your DMA first before you do anything else or you'll be putting up an antenna for OTA reception for your local stations. Regardless, looking into OTA isn't a bad idea because it generally gives you the best possible PQ for locals stations.

#3 OFFLINE   funlvr1965

funlvr1965

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

I have checked and they both do offer local channels, we are both just fed up with the fact that cable hd just looks so compressed and their sd channels are really bad so we figured that we would switch to satellite for our hd and sd viewing at least the channels are digital but before we make the jump we want to hear from real people who are using satellite tv

#4 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

i dont have HD but if you love football theres nothin like NFLST only on Directv.

#5 OFFLINE   funlvr1965

funlvr1965

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

are you happy with the quality of your hd and digital channels?

#6 OFFLINE   nhguy

nhguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:24 AM

are you happy with the quality of your hd and digital channels?

The picture quality is great when the dish is aligned properly. D*'s customer service and installation is hit or miss. My personal experience has been a lot more miss. Go w/ a private dealer for your equipment and installation.

#7 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:37 AM

The picture quality is great when the dish is aligned properly. D*'s customer service and installation is hit or miss. My personal experience has been a lot more miss. Go w/ a private dealer for your equipment and installation.

Nope. As long as you have a signal the quality is the same. Proper alignment has to do with how well your signal will come in when you have bad weather. Remember it is digital so the picture is the same if your signal is 40 or 100.

Now to the meat, D* rules and Sunday Ticket is a MUST if you love football, been with D* & NFL Sunday Ticket for 11 years and love it.:D :D :D
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#8 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

You need to go to a friend's house and watch their cable.

Every company is different.

My cable company is great, yours might stink. My channels are also 100% digital and there are no visible over compression. My SD channels look sooooo good. I had no idea SD could look so good on a 50 inch TV. I actually rarely ever both to watch HD. HD really shines for sports, and that's about all I ever watch in HD. Our cable company's HD is breath taking, put Dish and DirecTV to shame in my opinion.

Also, I bet your cable company also carried analog feeds, meaning that you do not need any converter boxes in other rooms to get the channels 2-99. My analog picture quality is also very good on smaller TVs. I wasn't really pleased with it on my 50-inch, but on all of the other TVs it looks great. Once they converted to all digital channels, it looks great on the 50 now.

But you won't know until you try. So before canceling SAt and going to cable, and possibly trying to come back, you best take the time to really compare and save yourself the trouble.

#9 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,159 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

I have checked and they both do offer local channels, we are both just fed up with the fact that cable hd just looks so compressed and their sd channels are really bad so we figured that we would switch to satellite for our hd and sd viewing at least the channels are digital but before we make the jump we want to hear from real people who are using satellite tv

There is a difference between offering local channels, and offering local channels in HD. Just because they offer local channels does NOT mean they will be in HD. You need to specifically verify HD.

You will probably be happier with the SD channels from satellite than from cable. However, both Dish and DirecTV tend to have more heavilly compressed HD signals than cable. Many refer to DirecTV HD as "HD Lite". Make sure you know what you are getting before you make the change.

As others have noted, for NFL football, DirecTV is the place to be.

Carl

#10 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

What Carl said, make sure you can get locals in HD, not just in SD.

#11 OFFLINE   funlvr1965

funlvr1965

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

well thanks for all the info, we called direct tv last night and this sunday ticket thing is way too much money, they want another $80.00 or so once their "introductory" offer expires, they give you 4 months free basically but my wife says that that doesnt even take her into the playoffs so and thats $80.00 a month on top of the other $99.00 or so for the other channels and programming, do people really pay $200.00 a month just for watching tv?:confused: :confused:
later this week my wife will see what pricing dish has to offer, one nice thing about dish is that you can use one box for two displays

#12 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

well thanks for all the info, we called direct tv last night and this sunday ticket thing is way too much money, they want another $80.00 or so once their "introductory" offer expires, they give you 4 months free basically but my wife says that that doesnt even take her into the playoffs so and thats $80.00 a month on top of the other $99.00 or so for the other channels and programming, do people really pay $200.00 a month just for watching tv?:confused: :confused:
later this week my wife will see what pricing dish has to offer, one nice thing about dish is that you can use one box for two displays

I thought Sunday Ticket was like $250 for the entire season? If they charged $80 a month for it then it would be $960 for a year and I doubt many would pay that. Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying though.
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#13 OFFLINE   funlvr1965

funlvr1965

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

nope the way it was explained to me is that they will pay 4 months free then after that you can cancel if you want but you have to make sure you tell them that you want to cancel otherwise they will bill you around $80.00 a month just for the sunday ticket but I think they wave the box rental fee, not sure about that part

#14 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

Ok I just looked at the DirecTV website and it says $69.99 a month for 4 months for the Sunday Ticket. I would call and talk to someone else. That CSR was not correct according to the DirecTV website.
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#15 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

They give you the Total Choice Premier package for free for 4 months if you pay for ST. After the 4 months they start billing you the monthy price for TCP. You have the option of dropping to one of the lesser TC packages at that time.

#16 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:13 AM

They give you the Total Choice Premier package for free for 4 months if you pay for ST. After the 4 months they start billing you the monthy price for TCP. You have the option of dropping to one of the lesser TC packages at that time.

This is correct. Plus you get the portable DVD player.

And the best programming around :D
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#17 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

Earl probably got the DVD player even tho he is an old sub :mad:
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#18 OFFLINE   ajwillys

ajwillys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

I got the same deal, the price is $69 online and about $80 after taxes, fees, etc... and that is for four months and includes pretty much everything (two receivers, dvr service, hd service, sunday ticket). After that, you can change your programming to whatever you want and continue on at the price of the package you choose. The Sunday Ticket IS only four months (17 regular season weeks)but that is all you need because all the playoffs games are aired nationally on network TV.

#19 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

It is a great deal bud, sounds like someone who did not know what they were talking about missled you...happens sometimes.

I called yesterday to get a buddy setup and argued with the csr on the phone for about 15 minutes. she was telling me the HR10-250 can do MPEG 4, good lord.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#20 OFFLINE   NoMax

NoMax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

If you live for football then get D*. There is really no other reason since E* has more channels and its cheaper.

NM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...