Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

leaving cable who has better service and picture direct tv or dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSpringsteen Country

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:24 PM

If you live for football then get D*. There is really no other reason since E* has more channels and its cheaper.

NM

Not necessarily.:nono2: It depends on your program options. If your not quite ready for HD, D offers the best bang for the buck. With Total Choice and my local sports channels that include YES interactive and SNY, I have 38 more channels and pay $5.00 less a month then I did when I had E's Top 120. There is only one monthly $5.99 DVR fee and I'm not penalized with a $5.00 programming charge if I decide to down grade or drop a premium channel.

Ian ;)
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

True Mailiang on the sd part of the Directv service, but if you want hd and that is the future of tv, then Dish is still the best bang for the buck. For 104.99 you get all the 30 hd channels , all the sd channels, NO DVR fees at all and your locals if available. Dish has more sd locals and is going to finish the rest of the country soon. Especially if they lose distant networks. Directv has more hd locals than Dish but Dish will compete on this front as well in the near future. I get my local networks in hd along with the rest of the Platinum pack for $104.99 Dish's mpeg 4 hd dvr is only $199.00 to lease and $ 499.00 to own. Directv is more expensive to even lease their just released hd mpeg 4 receiver - with no ota tuners enabled yet till October.

#23 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

Dish has more sd locals

Not in my area.

True Mailiang on the sd part of the Directv service, but if you want hd and that is the future of tv, then Dish is still the best bang for the buck. For 104.99 you get all the 30 hd channels , all the sd channels, NO DVR fees at all and your locals if available. Dish has more sd locals and is going to finish the rest of the country soon. Especially if they lose distant networks. Directv has more hd locals than Dish but Dish will compete on this front as well in the near future. I get my local networks in hd along with the rest of the Platinum pack for $104.99 Dish's mpeg 4 hd dvr is only $199.00 to lease and $ 499.00 to own. Directv is more expensive to even lease their just released hd mpeg 4 receiver - with no ota tuners enabled yet till October.

I agree. Since E took over Zoom they have been light years in front of D when it comes to HD. I'm certain that D realizes this and it's not like that don't have the money or technology to compete. They are going to launch a new bird to help them expand, but putting all this in place will take time. D's 5 LNB dish is no match for E's smaller more practical 3 LNB version, and reconfiguring D's system may not be feasible to reduce the amount of LNB's. That alone would be an issue for people like me who live in a condo or apartment. Personally when I switch to HD it will probably be with Verizon's new fios. Until then cable (in most areas) is probably the best choice dollar for dollar when it comes to HD, since they have the extra bandwidth and most cable providers don't charge extra for the equipment upgrade.

Ian

#24 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

I'm not penalized with a $5.00 programming charge if I decide to down grade or drop a premium channel.
Ian ;)

Your right. If you make a add a channel or a package then decide within 30 days you want to delete it its a $10.00 charge not $5. You USED to be able to switch around at will. But I guess too many ppl used to "rent" HBO or Showtime etc for the weekend or a night then drop it say if there was a boxing match or something going on.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#25 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:20 PM

Your right. If you make a add a channel or a package then decide within 30 days you want to delete it its a $10.00 charge not $5.

I have no problem with DTV's 30 day policy for premium programing. However with Dish they hit me with a programing fee when I switched from the Top 180 to the Top 120 package. Of course if you wanted to up grade, it didn't cost a thing.:rolleyes: If you dropped a premium channel like HBO, or down graded your package, they would would hit you with the fee whether you had it for 6 days or 6 years, and that just doesn't seem right to me. :nono2:

Ian :mad:

#26 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

well thanks for all the info, we called direct tv last night and this sunday ticket thing is way too much money, they want another $80.00 or so once their "introductory" offer expires, they give you 4 months free basically but my wife says that that doesnt even take her into the playoffs so and thats $80.00 a month on top of the other $99.00 or so for the other channels and programming, do people really pay $200.00 a month just for watching tv?:confused: :confused:
later this week my wife will see what pricing dish has to offer, one nice thing about dish is that you can use one box for two displays

I believe you were quoted the wrong. Also, they have an offer every 6 months for $20 off TCP. Standing offer every 6 mos. You can get $5 off every 6 mos. for HD programming. Just ASK! Every 6 mos. I would call and get $25 off both packages.:D

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

And the best programming around :D

Unless you want HD programming...

#28 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

Unless you want HD programming...

Not true. Only currently. Everyone knows in the next couple of years DTV will be the leader in HD. Just be patient :D
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

Not true. Only currently. Everyone knows in the next couple of years DTV will be the leader in HD. Just be patient :D

This is indicated by what? The bandwidth to deliver doesn't guarantee that the channels will be there. As it is, the bandwidth is at least a year off. You could be in and out of a Dish 18 month commitment before DirecTV catches up and you might be able to avail yourself of some new subscriber benefits should you decide to return.

Again, I'm jaded because they don't offer my HD LIL yet (it was scheduled for last month).

#30 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

well thanks for all the info, we called direct tv last night and this sunday ticket thing is way too much money, they want another $80.00 or so once their "introductory" offer expires, they give you 4 months free basically but my wife says that that doesnt even take her into the playoffs so and thats $80.00 a month on top of the other $99.00 or so for the other channels and programming, do people really pay $200.00 a month just for watching tv?:confused: :confused:
later this week my wife will see what pricing dish has to offer, one nice thing about dish is that you can use one box for two displays

Here's the deal, funlvr-for $69.99 a month for four months, you get the NFL Sunday Ticket, and D* throws in it's most expensive package, Totla Choice Premier, for free. Once the four months are up, you can keep the TCPremium at $99.99 a month or switch to any other package D* offers, from Total Choice Family at $29.99 on up to Total Choice Plus at $49.99/month. You can also add up to five different premium packages, with the first on at $12 a month and the rest dropping in price as you add them.

As far as your wife's concern that NFL ST doesn't get her through the playoffs-she's right, but that's only because all the playoff games are available on the national networks to everyone, so ther's no "out of market" games to sell via NFL ST.

As for the two room setup E* offers with some of its receivers, consider this-the second room has to suffer with a crappy UHF signal. If you like good PQ, you won't get it there!

#31 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

Again, I'm jaded because they don't offer my HD LIL yet (it was scheduled for last month).

I'm betting you have your Portland HD LiLs today. Am I correct?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...