Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD DVDs DOA?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of Lisa Sullivan

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,082 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

"Two months into the format war...fewer than 5,000 HD players have sold."

Video disc war: No clear winner, yet

8/21/2006 11:27 PM ET USA TODAY

Two months into the format war over the next generation of home video discs,
neither HD DVD nor Blu-ray has made much of an impact on the market.

So far, fewer than 5,000 high-definition players have sold. That's not surprising,
given the marketplace confusion over the dueling formats and the time it usually
takes consumers to adopt new technologies. ...

More @ USA Today

See HD-DVD vs BLU-RAY comparison chart HERE

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

"Two months into the format war...fewer than 5,000 HD players have sold."

Video disc war: No clear winner, yet

8/21/2006 11:27 PM ET USA TODAY

Two months into the format war over the next generation of home video discs,
neither HD DVD nor Blu-ray has made much of an impact on the market.

So far, fewer than 5,000 high-definition players have sold. That's not surprising,
given the marketplace confusion over the dueling formats and the time it usually
takes consumers to adopt new technologies. ...

More @ USA Today

See HD-DVD vs BLU-RAY comparison chart HERE

Regardless of which format prevails, I'll have no interest until the price is equal to or less than current DVD's. I can see little advantage as current DVD's look stunning on my 61" HDTV. The marginal increase in picture quality is not worth it for me.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

The player has to be a lot cheaper... the movies need to be cheaper and more of them... they need to stop this nonsense of possibly downgrading to 480p unless you connect with HDMI because most of the early HDTV adopters who might purchase HD DVD don't have HDMI connections on their TVs... and of course one format needs to win OR another format needs to win.

There is just not a compelling reason to jump into the HD DVD ring right now as an average customer.

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Were the sales of SD DVD players two months after their release anything to go nuts over? I'd bet not.
TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB), Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Turbo Internet, TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#5 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

This is one technology I'll sit out for a while. A month or two back, I visited our local Sony store and experienced one of their ultra high tech HD rooms. They had a split screen demo of HD DVR vs. regular and you could see finer detail and crisper color. They also had 8.2 audio up and running. When you start running up the tab of what all of this would cost so you could get every once of benefit, it becomes cost prohibitive.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

Were the sales of SD DVD players two months after their release anything to go nuts over? I'd bet not.

True... but there weren't two competing formats of DVDs for SD... they were competing with VHS which had been around for a while and lots of people had VCRs already... plus DVD players could be connected to pretty much any TV with reasonably equal performance.

With HD, there are two different non-compatible formats and the whole no-upconvert except with HDMI and potential future downconvert too... on top of the high price and low number of movies... plus HD DVD is not as big a jump from DVD to most people's minds as DVD was from VHS... so it is going to be a little bit harder of a sell at first.

#7 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

True... but there weren't two competing formats of DVDs for SD...

Well, there was Divx, but it's hard to say that ever mounted much of a threat. Poorly conceived and executed, it died a richly deserved early death.

I'd agree that the jump from SD DVD to hi res DVD probably isn't as pronounced as VHS to DVD. Competing formats doesn't help and neither does upconverting DVD players.

Yeah, it'll be a tough sell, but I think it's too early to say complete failure. At least wait to see if the Holiday Season shows an upswing or at least one format pulling away.
TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB), Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Turbo Internet, TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:13 AM

I agree... too early to declare total failure as this should be a slow adoption process... but in the end at least one camp (HD DVD or Blu Ray) will absolutely be a big flop and waste of money for one company and some consumers as well.

Don't know how this will compare in the end to the BetaMax vs VHS situation... but inevitably someone will be left out in the cold here when the dust settles... which is one of the many reasons I am sitting across the street from the fence waiting!

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

Oh, I'm a fence sitter as well, along with most of the general population. I'm one those unfortunate, well...from a lack of content lately, souls who bought a Pioneer universal DVD-Audio/SACD player in 2003. I don't regret the music I bought, but neither proved to be a successor to CD. If you want new titles, you better be a Classical Music or Jazz fan, and my tastes are more Rock/Pop.

That experience made me a little gunshy. I went CD in early 1988, DVD in early 2000, and DVR in late 2000. Competing formats is a red flag for anyone burnt in previous skirmishes and, for the time being, I'll observe this one from the sidelines.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

I'm an early adopter. I had my first DVD player in April of 97 and had my HD-DVD player the first weekend it was out. I have no interest in Blu-Ray.

I have a Optoma DLP projector with a 106" screen. There is a BIG difference between SD DVD and HD-DVD. I will say that regular upconverted DVD's do look quite good through the HD-DVD player but when you pop in an actual HD-DVD, the difference is very noticeable.

I agree though that for the regular consumer, sitting on the fence is a good idea but if you have a home theater with a large screen, you won't regret the upgrade. Besides, if the HD-DVD format does die, you are left with one of the best upconverting players on the market.

I can see little advantage as current DVD's look stunning on my 61" HDTV. The marginal increase in picture quality is not worth it for me.

Trust me, you will see the difference on your 61" screen.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,747 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

YAWN!

The reason why sales aren't picking up is because most are sitting on the side lines to see which format comes out the best. To make matters worse, there seems to be one HD player for each format. Add in the fact that there aren't any collection-worthy movies or gee-wiz movies on the HD format yet.

Of course, the DVD side isn't all that terribly exciting this year either.
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#12 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

I have no interest in Blu-Ray.

With what little I do know about the competing formats at this time, I'd have to agree with you there.

MPEG-2?! That's so Nineties!

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

MPEG-2?! That's so Nineties!

:lol: Agree. That is one of the reasons Blu-Ray has an uphill battle not to mention the price of the players.

Also, Toshiba is about to release new firmware (version 2.0) that enables Dolby TruHD 5.1.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm an early adopter. I had my first DVD player in April of 97 and had my HD-DVD player the first weekend it was out. I have no interest in Blu-Ray.

I have a Optoma DLP projector with a 106" screen. There is a BIG difference between SD DVD and HD-DVD. I will say that regular upconverted DVD's do look quite good through the HD-DVD player but when you pop in an actual HD-DVD, the difference is very noticeable.

I agree though that for the regular consumer, sitting on the fence is a good idea but if you have a home theater with a large screen, you won't regret the upgrade. Besides, if the HD-DVD format does die, you are left with one of the best upconverting players on the market.

My problem is that I was an early adopter of HDTV... so I do not have HDMI, which means I cannot even taken advantage of the upconvert since the upconverting is limited to HDMI connections, even though there is no technical reason to do so... So even if I wanted to pay the going price and wanted to pick a side and support... I can't make full use of the technology due to its designed restrictions for the early adopters like me.

#15 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:49 AM

If the PS3 will be able to play bluray movies without added hardware, that might give them a boost.

#16 OFFLINE   gundyrat

gundyrat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

Pioneer has announce a duel format player that will play both Blu Ray and HD-DVD
If more companies did this there would be no war.

There was a war at one time a little known war between Dolby Digital AC-3 and DTS

Dolby won beating DTS to the market with a working product subsequently Dolby Digital was adopted as the Default Audio format for the then soon to be released High Definition,
Who knew it would take 10 plus years to actually get High Derfinition in to consumers homes.

the point here is we have 2 viable Audio formats availible even today niether a clear winner both with pro's and cons.

I was an early adopter into AC-3 via a Pioneer VSX-D3S( Zoran AC-3) and Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LD player it was an expensive transition.

I'm not be so eager to jump on the HD DVD bandwagon till the bugs are worked out.
imo
Take anything I recomend with a grain of salt I'm an Authority on nothing

Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX
Pioneer Elite DV-C36 5 Disc DVD unit
Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LD player
Sony C-222ES 5 Disc SACD unit
Sony PS3
HR22-100 (LVR) ,H21/200 (Kitchen)
Samsung PN50C7000 (LVR),Sony 34" XBR TV (DS),Sanyo 19"720P( kitchen)
Infocus SP4805 EDTV Projector Hoya ND-2 Filter
Definitive Tech:
BP20's L&R CLR1000 CTR Power Field 1500 Sub
Side and rear surrounds BIC America V52's
Dalite HCMW 77"screen

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of Lisa Sullivan

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,082 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:09 AM

...I'm not be so eager to jump on the HD DVD bandwagon till the bugs are worked out. imo

:rolleyes: What bugs?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

Pioneer has announce a duel format player that will play both Blu Ray and HD-DVD
If more companies did this there would be no war.

Pioneer, and several other CE cos., did the same thing with SACD and DVD-Audio. Didn't make much difference in their outcome.

spam firewall