Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use a Dish Network Dish with DirecTV?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

Hello, I have a weird question, our company just aquired a new building and it has a Dish Network dish on the roof that goes to a multiplexer and then on to four rooms. No receivers were left behind.

We use DirecTV in all our buildings and I was wondering if I aim the Dish Network dish at the DirecTV sat in the sky and use a DirecTV receiver, will it work? is the LNB basically the same? If not can I just replace the LNB and use the same round dish?

Thanks!

Trey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

The 2x4 multiplexer says it's a 41-2150 Hz (something like that). Will that work with DirecTV as well?

Thanks.....

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

Honestly... I don't think so... it is possible...

But at a minimum you will have to replace the LNB assembly, and the multiswitch.

You might be best off just calling DirecTV and see if they will swap the dish with one of theirs.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   untouchable

untouchable

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

You should be able to, a few years back you could take the label off of the Dish LNB and it said DirecTV underneath...that's back when I installed though.

#5 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks guys!

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Look at the side of the LNB does it have the letters DP or DPP.If so the answer is
NO!.

#7 OFFLINE   Frostwolf

Frostwolf

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

I have a quad legacy lnb on a dish 500, wil this work? or do I need just change the lnb?

Will the dish dish pick up any better than the regular directv dish?
"I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~ Marcus Cole

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,486 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

I have a quad legacy lnb on a dish 500, wil this work? or do I need just change the lnb?

Will the dish dish pick up any better than the regular directv dish?

No, it won't work. Dish geometry is not correct to "see" the DirecTV satellites, and the LNB is not compatible.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   directvfreak

directvfreak

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

Where do people get "Multiplexer"? It is multiswitch. I have no idea where people come up with this word.
Matt

#10 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

Quad means it has the Switch built in and the Dishnetwork switch is not compatible with DirecTV.

Best thing is start over with a new install.

#11 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

How did this old thread got resurrected.....

As stated above, Dishpro equipment (denoted with a DP) will not work with Directv.

And it won't work on all birds. Directv uses 101/110/119 on their triple lnb dish
Dish uses 110 and 119 (129 as well if you have a Dish 1000, but that is a DP will not work). Thus you would be pointed at the wrong birds.

The Directv 110W position on SATC only picks up 3 transponders @ 110W - 28, 30 and 32. Special electronics in the Directv 110W lnb convert this down to transponder 8-10-12 and then it is reinserted into the 119W lnb where Directv only uses transponder over 21.

Dish does not do anything similar to that.

So as Tboneit recommended, just start over - if this is still an issue a year later.

#12 OFFLINE   Frostwolf

Frostwolf

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

How did this old thread got resurrected.....

As stated above, Dishpro equipment (denoted with a DP) will not work with Directv.

I didn't want to start a new thread. And I don't have dishpro, I have legacy. Looking at jhon69's answer I wanted to double check.

Swapped out lnb, and dish, its working. Got a signal of 94-95 average without a meter, maybe I can get better, dunno.
"I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~ Marcus Cole

#13 OFFLINE   Frostwolf

Frostwolf

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Where do people get "Multiplexer"? It is multiswitch. I have no idea where people come up with this word.

In electronics, a multiplexer is a device that performs multiplexing: it selects one of many analog or digital data sources and outputs that source into a single channel.

Used in telecommunications. You asked.

spam firewall