Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR Remote, 622, repeater, flakey

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

Have new 622 with IR remote. The 622 is in a closet and I have an IR repeater set up with a sensor outside at the TV, and each device in the closet has a little teardrop shaped emitter pasted over the IR receiver.

Works fine, used it for a year or so with existing devices plus cable, now using it with 622.

Except it works very intermittently.

Now here's the really odd thing -- picture these teardrop shaped emitters, they paste onto the face so the emissions are directed into the IR receiver on the device. Rarely works that way.

Point it out at the closet door, works fine.

Stick it way over on the side, pointing across the front, works fine.

Stick it right over the hole -- rarely works. Either of the three holes (I'm guessing the middle is right, but I tried all three).

Anyone using the 622 with a IR repeater? Any problems?

It's almost as though it has some weird lens that won't let it work with the emitter up close or something.

Hanging out loose in space (i.e. the emitter, not the satellite) is not very stable, it keeps twisting or slumping and then works poorly again.

PS. I've tried two remotes - same problem. Tried the 622 remote on a 625, works fine. It's the 622, not the remote (at least not the specific remote).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

Sounds like maybe the teardrop transmitter isn't focussing the IR signal enough when it's that close that the 622 can receive it? I really don't have any idea.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Or maybe it is overloading the IR? Can't you just whip up a L bracket using double sided foam tape and point it across the remote sensor if that works good?

#4 OFFLINE   gomerpyle123

gomerpyle123

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

I just got a ViP622 box and I'm having similar troubles. I tried the emitter on all 3 IR ports but no luck. I'll try the emitter in a few different locations tonight to see if that helps things.

#5 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

I tried the emitter route too at first.. And it gave me fits.. I just gave up and switched over to the number 1 RF remote and the problems went away.. Don't see a lot of reasons to stay with IR when the RF setup is there and easy to use.
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...