Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Next channel to be removed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kichigai

Kichigai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

I think the next channel to go will be G4TV or what ever they call themselves now.

I think the channel has lost focus and their audience has really dropped since the re-imaging recently. I think they are trying to get the 18-35 audience but the shows they have are aging and aging quickly. The shows will be dated and boring soon.

Also, I think since the channel is owned by one of D* competitors (comcast), that will be a factor in removing it.

Any thoughts or opinions about the next channel or my opinion about G4TV?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

I don't think that G4TV will go anywhere because it's carriage probably ties into carrying OLN (to be Versus) and possibly Style at a later time. It's supposedly becoming a men's channel alternative to Spike TV.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#3 OFFLINE   Phroz

Phroz

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

I personally can't even stand to watch G4. I loved the old ZDTV/TechTV and then of course Comcast had to come along and ruin that too. G4 sucked then and still sucks now.

Forgive me if I seem bitter. :P

#4 OFFLINE   brykc14

brykc14

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

Yeah it use to be great when it was z and tech but after the merge with G4 hasnt been worth watching..
Directv 96-99 , Dish Network 99-01, Directv 01- Present

Phillps Series 1 Tivo 1999
Hughes HDR40 2004
R10 2005
R15 2006

#5 OFFLINE   trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:31 AM

Techtv was great, but something is in the works for a return... sort of.
http://chris.pirillo.../techtv-undotv/

#6 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

Yeah it use to be great when it was z and tech but after the merge with G4 hasnt been worth watching..

I can't begin to list how much I learned when it was z and tech.:( Sure would be nice for a return.

Carl :)

#7 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

G4 is not going anywhere. I probably watch it more now than when it was all geeky. You have the Man Show, original Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Banzi, revamped adult oriented Attack of the Show, funny Totally Outrageous Behavior, etc....

#8 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:09 AM

I miss Tech TV.

#9 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

screen savers and call for help were great shows. I don't even watch G4, that attack of the show is pretty lame.
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#10 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

TechTV ruled..

Bring back Leo & Patrick for the screensavers dammit :mad:
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#11 OFFLINE   Jasen

Jasen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

I think they should get rid of current
Directv Tivo
R15

#12 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

I still miss Kate and Leo from the zdtv days

#13 OFFLINE   agreer

agreer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

Much as I hate G4, it will never go anywhere: so they dont live up to their contracted and expected content, so what? When was the last time MTV showed music? there are tons of examples of channels getting on and then disregaurding what they are there for:
* TLC is all "reality" interior decore shows all the time, nothing to do with "learning"
* Bravo shows QweerEye, poker, or WestWing every time I am scanning the guide: I thought they were all about theater and fine arts.
* Fox NEWS channel and Cable NEWS network have more op-ed windbags than news by a huge margin,
* CNN HEADLINE NEWS was all about cycling the news every ~1/2 hour, that may seem annoying, but for folks on odd shifts it was a decent way to stay informed (listened to it while checking email and stuff) but that is now just a bunch more talking corpses that think they know everything just like CNN and FNC...
* NHL on OLN...OUTDOOR Life Net, are NHL games ever outside? or even in an open air stadium?

#14 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

As far as OLN is concerned, it's just a matter of time until Comcra... er, Comcast renames it Versus. Why it hasn't happened yet is beyond me, but I'll bet it'll happen just before the new NHL season.

#15 OFFLINE   unsub

unsub

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

I think they should get rid of current

Current (Google) channel is one of my favorite channels. And there are few commercials, if any, on it. Its one of the better stations wich seems to be aimed at young, open minded people. I would be upset if we lost Current. As far as G4,I never watch it.But it was far better when it was ZDTV/ TechTV. But times seem to have changed.

#16 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

They need to ditch G4 and bring in The Anime Network to replace it. G4 brings no value to Directv at all.

#17 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:47 AM

I have no problem with G4. It is missplaced in the channel line up with the news channels, but its OK. Star Trek is an evergreen rerun. Tech TV was not my thing. Watching other people play with computers is no more interesting that watching other people play cards to me.

Versus is a stupid name.

The two most worthless channels on DirecTV are Link and Current. Current is a bunch of spoiled rich kids playing TV news station. Link presents irresponsible conspiracy theories and disinformation that does not contribute to the public's understanding of serious issues. There is nothing wrong with responsible viewpoints, whatever they may be. Loopy conspiracy theorist rants are not responsible.

CCTV, which is likewise worthless.

#18 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

As far as OLN is concerned, it's just a matter of time until Comcra... er, Comcast renames it Versus. Why it hasn't happened yet is beyond me, but I'll bet it'll happen just before the new NHL season.

I'm hoping it's because someone clued them into just how stupid that name is. :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

It’s interesting; just like at a garage sale. One person’s trash is another’s gold. No matter which (if any) station they drop, someone someplace will not be happy, while someone else will be ecstatic about the freed up bandwidth.

Ain’t America great!!!
:hurah: :hurah: :hurah:

#20 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

I would get rid of all the shopping, all the religion, all the foreign, the gay channel, all the news channels (I only watch the locals for news), and any channel that shows "paid programming" the majority of the time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...