Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA HD question(s)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   keeferb

keeferb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

Hi all,

We currently have 2 tv’s….one 27” Toshiba analog and one 42” Panasonic EDTV. All of the locals have now converted to HD so we’re thinking about getting an attic OTA antenna to pull in the HD locals. The EDTV has a built-in tuner so I’m assuming I can just run the OTA feed directly to that tv. What I’m wondering is if we’ll be able to watch the OTA feed on our 27”. Would we be able to pick up a non-HD broadcast of the locals also? Or won’t we see anything?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

If your 27" has an analog tuner, you'll just be able to get any analog stations you might pick up.

#3 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

assuming the antenna picks up the vhf signals as well

#4 OFFLINE   keeferb

keeferb

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

good point...the HD locals are all UHF and so is the antenna I'm looking at.

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   jsherm007

jsherm007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

good point...the HD locals are all UHF and so is the antenna I'm looking at.

Thanks!

a UHF can pick up the VHF, even if its not completely designed for it. My UHF only antenna picks up VHF signals from 80+ miles away in Minneapolis.

#6 OFFLINE   keeferb

keeferb

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:43 AM

a UHF can pick up the VHF, even if its not completely designed for it. My UHF only antenna picks up VHF signals from 80+ miles away in Minneapolis.

Interesting. Are you picking up the HD locals from Mpls also? What antenna do you have? I live just across the MN/WI border and am going after the Mpls HD locals. We are about 23 miles from the Shoreview towers and the Terrestrial DB4 UHF w/ pre-amp has been recommended as a good attic antenna. I'm setting it up this weekend so with a little luck maybe I'll pull in the non-HD locals for our analog tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...