Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 At Best Buy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

So, if I buy one at Best Buy and install it myself, is it a lease or do I own it?

db

Lease. Any that you buy at the big-box retailers will be leased (and will cost much less that it would for a straight-out purchase).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Legend

• No PM's
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

Lease. Any that you buy at the big-box retailers will be leased (and will cost much less that it would for a straight-out purchase).

Actually, big box stores are on teh lease plan. Indpendent authorized dealers can sell you the HR20-700 as an owned unit and most will charge you a premium to do so. You should not have to pay a premium to have the HR20-700 as an owned unit and you should not pay more than $299 either way.

-Robert

#23 OFFLINE   derekjsmith

derekjsmith

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

Actually, big box stores are on teh lease plan. Indpendent authorized dealers can sell you the HR20-700 as an owned unit and most will charge you a premium to do so. You should not have to pay a premium to have the HR20-700 as an owned unit and you should not pay more than $299 either way.

-Robert

So Robert you are saying the HS20's we get from you at $299 are owned and not leased correct.

#24 OFFLINE   DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Legend

• No PM's
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

So Robert you are saying the HS20's we get from you at $299 are owned and not leased correct.

Correct, you can set them up as owned units. You should be able to do that with any independent authorized dealer.

-Robert

#25 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:58 AM

What's the benefit of paying more to own it? You still have to have D* service to use it, correct? And regardless of whether you lease or own, wouldn't you still have to pay the $4.99/monthly fee?

#26 OFFLINE   DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Legend

• No PM's
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:42 AM

You should not have to pay anything extra to own the HR20-700. They are $299 to lease or own.

That being said I recommend setting up the DVR as on the lease plan.

We are sending an email to all of our customers explaining the differences of owning vs. leasing along with a promotional code and direct installation order phone number.

-Robert

#27 OFFLINE   surfbird

surfbird

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

guys even if you own it ,then if it tears up then, d8 won't replace it for free unless you get a super nice csr, because we can only replace them as leased warranty in or out equipment. just a thought. but if you own it then you can add pp to it. unfortunately pp team is a whole different ball game on how they work w/equipment since that is an area I don't work with

which is why the lease program comes w/a commitment so switching out equipment is better than owning.

#28 OFFLINE   dtvmiami

dtvmiami

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

guys even if you own it ,then if it tears up then, d8 won't replace it for free unless you get a super nice csr, because we can only replace them as leased warranty in or out equipment. just a thought. but if you own it then you can add pp to it. unfortunately pp team is a whole different ball game on how they work w/equipment since that is an area I don't work with

which is why the lease program comes w/a commitment so switching out equipment is better than owning.

For those that own it, if it breaks down and they happen to have the monthly product protection plan, wouldn't that plan cover the HR20 like it does all other ird's?

#29 OFFLINE   surfbird

surfbird

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

For those that own it, if it breaks down and they happen to have the monthly product protection plan, wouldn't that plan cover the HR20 like it does all other ird's?

i should hope so, but like I said we transfer to them & don't know what they do from there. But I hope it would & plus think of it this way, brand new item would be kinda hard to send a refurb out right?? so yur guess as good as mine.

#30 OFFLINE   kennedyj

kennedyj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

HR20 now listed as "Coming Soon" @ bestbuys web site. What happened? I just bought one from them the other day?

#31 OFFLINE   blacker

blacker

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

HR20 now listed as "Coming Soon" @ bestbuys web site. What happened? I just bought one from them the other day?

i just noticed on bbs site that they dropped the price to 299.... still says coming soon though..

#32 OFFLINE   chdwil

chdwil

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:43 AM

They ran out.

#33 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:56 AM

Rockford, IL BB has them. At least 5 that I saw. Sadly, no display set up of them to view it.:(
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#34 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

You should not have to pay anything extra to own the HR20-700. They are $299 to lease or own.

That being said I recommend setting up the DVR as on the lease plan.

We are sending an email to all of our customers explaining the differences of owning vs. leasing along with a promotional code and direct installation order phone number.

-Robert

When they set mine up as a leased unit from D*, they asked if I wanted the pp. I said no out of reflex, but why would they offer it anyway? I don't own the thing, don't I just get to call and tell them it's broke?

#35 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

Anyone that purchased it over the last two weeks, should contact best buy to get your price match.

As it is on their site as of this morning at $299
(even though it says Comming Soon still)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

Anyone that purchased it over the last two weeks, should contact best buy to get your price match.

As it is on their site as of this morning at $299
(even though it says Comming Soon still)

COOL!! so instead of free, I end up making $100.

#37 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

They ran out.

Earl mentioned something about needing sufficient quantities so that each store can have a minimum allocation and they were selling via the .com too fast.

I wonder if they will be in Sunday's flyer. As i mentioned in a previous post that was misread, my local BB was order to remove all HR10-250's and ship them back. So at this point, they don't have an HD DVR to offer. And I am not in an MPEG-4 market.

#38 OFFLINE   Tim Sly

Tim Sly

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

I just got my HR20 at a BB in Baxter, MN $299. They had it mislabeled on the shelf as the HR700-250. They only had one unit. I was fortunate.

spam firewall