Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20: Hard Drive Upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
212 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:45 PM

So if a 300GB drive is expected to record 30hrs of MPEG2 one could expect 50hrs of MPEG2 on a properly formatted 500GB drive. So 16 hrs out of 50 would be 32% utilization yet his test is showing 18% utilization.

Gotchaa, are you recording individual shows or blocks of time? Also, have you reviewed MYVOD to make sure you're getting complete recordings?

Do remember those are just the estimates...
And we know the MPEG-2 supplied by SAT is compressed a little tighter then OTA
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#22 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

So if a 300GB drive is expected to record 30hrs of MPEG2 one could expect 50hrs of MPEG2 on a properly formatted 500GB drive. So 16 hrs out of 50 would be 32% utilization yet his test is showing 18% utilization.

Gotchaa, are you recording individual shows or blocks of time? Also, have you reviewed MYVOD to make sure you're getting complete recordings?

I started out with Blocks of time, but realized manual recording did not separate each program in MYVOD, so I switch to individual recording at 11AM this morning.

In looking at the two 8hr 41min manual recordings they seemed to be complete. skip to tick advances at 39min intervals.

On a side note, manual record playback does not display the correct program info, hours into the recording on Quiz show it still displays the first program's info Groundhog Day...so for manual recording of a time period, the guide data for the first program is only retained. However if you select more info it lists all the programs recorded from the point in playback you are in, till the end of the manual record period.

#23 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

On a side note, manual record playback does not display the correct program info, hours into the recording on Quiz show it still displays the first program's info Groundhog Day...so for manual recording of a time period, the guide data for the first program is only retained. However if you select more info it lists all the programs recorded from the point in playback you are in, till the end of the manual record period.

That's because it thinks that's still the episode it's recording. I'm pretty sure it's the same logic used on all of DirecTV's branded receivers.

#24 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

Here is the latest from MYVOD confirmed, all Mpeg2 HD:
8:41
8:30
1:00
1:55
3:27
:40
3:31
:18
:26

70% Available

#25 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Do remember those are just the estimates...
And we know the MPEG-2 supplied by SAT is compressed a little tighter then OTA

Then before jumping to any conclusions regarding total space available a control test should be performed to verify the total hours of MPEG2 HD that can be recorded on the stock 300GB drive. As I noted it's pretty standard from what I can see on a HR10 that 1 hour of MPEG2HD is about 6.1GB. Also the control tests I ran on the R15 produced between 95 and 102 hours of SD programming on the R15.

It's hard to state a 500GB drive provides more recording space than a 300GB drive if we don't know what a 300Gb drive can record.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#26 OFFLINE   gr8reb8

gr8reb8

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

Gotchaa,

Any updates? Does it appear that the recorder is using the full 500Gb?

#27 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:40 PM

Gotchaa,

Any updates? Does it appear that the recorder is using the full 500Gb?

I should know in 5 hours or so, before leaving this morning I had a warning messaging saying I had less than 10% left, in check MYVOD it reported 0% available yet was still recording. All programs are MPEG2 HD, so I will tally it up and report back.

I do think I am getting the full space of the 500GB drive, but can't know for sure until the 300GB is full as well. I'll post some info from both boxes.

#28 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

Have you tried hooking up the drive back to a PC to look at it's contents? I'm sure you won't be able to play any of the stored shows, but I bet a couple of us are curious about the file system and structure on the drive. Interesting possibilities for archiving with a e-SATA drive if each show has it's own directory or something similar.

#29 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

Have you tried hooking up the drive back to a PC to look at it's contents? I'm sure you won't be able to play any of the stored shows, but I bet a couple of us are curious about the file system and structure on the drive. Interesting possibilities for archiving with a e-SATA drive if each show has it's own directory or something similar.

That last part of your post; being able to create your own directory structure.
Re-Post that to the "thoughts on how to use the eSATA drive". that is a really good idea
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

To everyone (since there are a TON of new people)

A word of warning... as DBSTalk doesn't want to go down the path of discussion of "hacking" and un-authorized extraction... I don't want to see (and can't really allow) any discussions about what the file system might look like and how to work with it for anything remotely close to extracting or accessing the data on the drives.

Sorry......

There are really only three areas we frown on here:
1) Access Card manipulation
2) Obtaining services you are not legally/technically allowed to get (or avoiding paying for)
3) Accessing the encrypted contents of the data stream or the drive...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#31 OFFLINE   gr8reb8

gr8reb8

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

I like the idea of having the capability to add a new larger drive. Perhaps in a year or two, a Terrabyte drive will be available for less than $100.

#32 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

I like the idea of having the capability to add a new larger drive. Perhaps in a year or two, a Terrabyte drive will be available for less than $100.

I'd say more like 4 years for them to become that cheap

/edit
After just checking current hard drive prices, maybe 2 - 3 years instead, heh

#33 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

Heck in a year or two... you will probably have multi-terrabyte units
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#34 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

Anyone have any idea if this could possibly work? It's way overkill for me, but I bet some others would be drooling at this possibility:

http://www.usb-ware....r-enclosure.htm

The disclaimer reads: "Requires a SATA host controller that supports port multipliers"

Does the HR20 SATA controller support this functionality?

#35 OFFLINE   smb3d

smb3d

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

Anyone have any idea if this could possibly work? It's way overkill for me, but I bet some others would be drooling at this possibility:

http://www.usb-ware....r-enclosure.htm

The disclaimer reads: "Requires a SATA host controller that supports port multipliers"

Does the HR20 SATA controller support this functionality?

Sweet Jebus, fill that thing up with five 750GB drives and your good for at least 600 Hours of MPEG-4 HD.

#36 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

I don't think it will support it yet...

But wow... one can hope.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#37 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

2) Obtaining services you are legally/technically allowed to get (or avoiding paying for)

Ya we frown upon you getting stuff legally here :lol:

I THINK he meant legally/tech NOT allowed to get.
R15 (500)
Sony A10 (Hooked to SA Tivo)
HR20 (Hooked to Toshiba Plasma)

#38 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Ya we frown upon you getting stuff legally here :lol:

I THINK he meant legally/tech NOT allowed to get.

oops
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#39 OFFLINE   davefred99

davefred99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

To everyone (since there are a TON of new people)

A word of warning... as DBSTalk doesn't want to go down the path of discussion of "hacking" and un-authorized extraction... I don't want to see (and can't really allow) any discussions about what the file system might look like and how to work with it for anything remotely close to extracting or accessing the data on the drives.

Sorry......

There are really only three areas we frown on here:
1) Access Card manipulation
2) Obtaining services you are not legally/technically allowed to get (or avoiding paying for)
3) Accessing the encrypted contents of the data stream or the drive...

I know your just protecting your butt, But I thats why I hate these forums. Because we are all treated like like third world citizens. No Free Flow of Information ! Censorship and big brother telling us what we can talk about. Let the politicians and lawers decide for us. We are just pawns in a big chess game.:rolleyes:

#40 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

Okay since this morning I mentioned I saw disk space available an 0% available, and a disk space warning," The Recorder has less than 10% available disk space"

9 hours later I am still recording, I have approximately 77 hours of HD Mpeg2 programming on this 500GB HD. Looking at the current recordings, I still seem to be chugging away.

One interesting issue, I've been recording HDnet, and Wag the Dog and Simone follow each other, Simone being recorded now. When I went to view Simone, it started at -29 minutes (Wag the Dog), and continued to the play 1:26 minutes into Simone. So it appears with a near full disk, the playback is having some interesting effects on MYVOD's program start/stop time with recordings back to back on the same channel. From Simone, I tried rewinding to the beginning of the program and I was able to go back -1:00, a full hour into the preceding program "Wag the Dog" Very strange. So far it only seems to be the case with this current recording.

Based on what I've seen so far, it appears I am getting around 6GB/hr for MPEG2 based on WolfPack's analysis of previous MPEG2 recordings. If this is correct, I should be at about 462GB, and have about 6 hours of more HD recording time.

So it appears from this layman test, the MYVOD remaining disk space will only indicate the percentage remaining for a 300GB drive, while recording will continue until the actual drive space is full.

Once it does fill up and stop, I will pull the drive out and see if I can figure out actual disk space usage.

I've had a hard time using a SATA sil3144 PCI card with Knoppix 5, and GenToo Linux LiveCD. Ubuntu is next. Can't seem to get the device recognized. Needless to say, this appears to be a SATA RAID card that I picked up, so I am not sure if there are drivers for it. I don't know if I am going to be able to actually look at the drive without another SATA card.

If anyone is curious about SATA support on Linux, I found a good FAQ which I still have to read through:

http://linuxmafia.co...dware/sata.html

spam firewall