Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20: Hard Drive Upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
212 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

I've got a bunch of crap to purge now!

While in your MyVod.

Hit Menu->Mark and Delete.

You can Select All, or select just the ones you want to delete.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

I don't see why the 750GB drive would not work.

For me, the price point of $179 for a Maxtor 500GB HD just seemed right. The Seagate 750GB external at Fry's was $479 I believe. It's simple enough to switch ports to use an external drive. I may give it a try, but I am hoping someone else can take up that task, and report back, I've got a bunch of crap to purge now!

Who would that be Gotchaa? There's only a couple of you out in LaLa land that can even get these beasts. :lol:
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#53 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Who would that be Gotchaa? There's only a couple of you out in LaLa land that can even get these beasts. :lol:

Fine, it's going to have to wait until after labor day!:P

#54 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:55 PM

While in your MyVod.

Hit Menu->Mark and Delete.

You can Select All, or select just the ones you want to delete.

I did this, all except 4 programs, and damn, after 10 minutes screen came up with nothing in my list, and no response from the system. A reboot brought everything back, including the 4 programs I saved.

I love the mark and delete feature (TWP aside)

Just so nobody is confused, all my bug reports in the other thread are with an "out of the box" HR20.

I assume any issues I have with the modified one don't really count since I am tinkering (although I can argue that the drive shouldn't matter, it's not really fair to D*).

#55 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

I may be up for a 750gb swap..
It would be nice if I gould get my hand on a second box.. But I think that is pushing it.

#56 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

I did this, all except 4 programs, and damn, after 10 minutes screen came up with nothing in my list, and no response from the system. A reboot brought everything back, including the 4 programs I saved.

I love the mark and delete feature (TWP aside)

Just so nobody is confused, all my bug reports in the other thread are with an "out of the box" HR20.

I assume any issues I have with the modified one don't really count since I am tinkering (although I can argue that the drive shouldn't matter, it's not really fair to D*).

1) Thank you very much for noting that you "tweaked" the box... I highly recommend to ANYONE that brakes the seal on the back of the box, to forever note that... regardless if you just "look" inside...

2) As for the list... how long did you wait before rebooting? It will take some time to clear out everything....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#57 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

I was reading about the DB35 drives from Seagate that come with the unit.
They may not be readable...
"Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35 Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provised the optional capability to "lock" the drive to the system on which it is installed"

#58 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I was reading about the DB35 drives from Seagate that come with the unit.
They may not be readable...
"Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35 Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provised the optional capability to "lock" the drive to the system on which it is installed"

Sound like the Locked drives that they UTV had. The way around that was to turn on the Unit and then unplug the data cable and the drive was unlocked. The you hooked up the data cable from your PC. (or something along that lines I never did that so I don't remember what it was exactly).
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#59 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Sound like the Locked drives that they UTV had. The way around that was to turn on the Unit and then unplug the data cable and the drive was unlocked. The you hooked up the data cable from your PC. (or something along that lines I never did that so I don't remember what it was exactly).

I doubt this is the same technology and it will not work.
Here is the text from their PDF...

"Protect content and intellectual property with digital rights management
As part of a comprehensive digital rights management solution, Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35
Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provides the optional capability to “lock” the drive to the system on which it is
installed. With this feature enabled, only host systems that provide the manufacturer-assigned key to the drive can gain access to
stored information. If the drive is removed, the only possible reuse of the drive involves a full erasure of existing content. In most
cases, DriveTrust technology will serve as an additional layer of content protection, adding to techniques such as data encryption
and conditional access. This offers manufacturers and system designers choice, convenience and security in hard drive-based
products."

#60 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

I doubt this is the same technology and it will not work.
Here is the text from their PDF...

"Protect content and intellectual property with digital rights management
As part of a comprehensive digital rights management solution, Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35
Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provides the optional capability to “lock” the drive to the system on which it is
installed. With this feature enabled, only host systems that provide the manufacturer-assigned key to the drive can gain access to
stored information. If the drive is removed, the only possible reuse of the drive involves a full erasure of existing content. In most
cases, DriveTrust technology will serve as an additional layer of content protection, adding to techniques such as data encryption
and conditional access. This offers manufacturers and system designers choice, convenience and security in hard drive-based
products."

Sounds like it's allot better then the UTV protection with the HW sending the code. That's pretty cool.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#61 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:37 PM

http://www.seagate.c...45_DynaPlay.pdf

Link to the PDF this was pulled from.

#62 OFFLINE   taw123

taw123

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

While I understand the desire NOT to talk about extraction, I am not going to start a flame war over fair use, the law, etc....

I come from a long line of TiVo use and would like to understand where (what form or site) would folks find others looking to extract digital content WE HAVE PERSONALY recorded on this DVR? I am not looking for card hacking, theft of service etc. This chould also include streaming of content between boxes. Yes DTV has talked about one day alowing extraction of content to personal video players, but I am almost ceartin it will require a Windows machine and impose some DRM solution. Since I don't use windows (I use Macs), and am a pretty good Software engineer I willing to help to make an open source solutions available.

Thanks for any pointers. Again this is NOT an invitatation to start flamin folks (pro or con) about the rules of this site. If you don't like the rules lets find another site....

-----

To everyone (since there are a TON of new people)

A word of warning... as DBSTalk doesn't want to go down the path of discussion of "hacking" and un-authorized extraction... I don't want to see (and can't really allow) any discussions about what the file system might look like and how to work with it for anything remotely close to extracting or accessing the data on the drives.

Sorry......

There are really only three areas we frown on here:
1) Access Card manipulation
2) Obtaining services you are not legally/technically allowed to get (or avoiding paying for)
3) Accessing the encrypted contents of the data stream or the drive...

#63 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:02 AM

There may be an issue doing this..
1. I understand that the video is recorded in live stream format.
2. in order to read the stream you will need to decode it using the card and internal software.
3. Unless it is recorded some other way, there maybe too many issues with encryption to even justify the cost, not to mention legal isssues..

#64 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:50 PM

Okay Folks, I am back with a 750GB Seagate SATA drive installed up and running. Same procedure for the upgrade just dropped it in and booted up. I was able to get a decent price of $329 for the drive.

So the plan is to schedule MPEG2 HD channels for recording (keep till I delete) for at least 125 hours of HD recordings based on a 6GB per hour average.. Recording on two streams around the clock.

Based on these estimates, I should fill the drive up the drive in under 3 days. So by Wednesday I should be able to count up the hours and report back.

Good news on the Seagate is that the internal temperature monitor does work with this drive, so that could confirm SMART is enabled and has specific calls to Seagate drives, as the 500GB Maxtor which had SMART enabled did not register temperature.

And it is a bit quieter than the Maxtor, which is nice.

That's about all, I'll report hours and MyVod "Disk Space" Available in a day or so.

#65 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:06 AM

Okay Folks, I am back with a 750GB Seagate SATA drive installed up and running. Same procedure for the upgrade just dropped it in and booted up. I was able to get a decent price of $329 for the drive.

Can't wait to hear how it goes. kind of a newbie ? about hacking. You didn't have to transfer the data on the old hard drive to the new one?
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#66 OFFLINE   uscboy

uscboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, does the HR20 somehow have the entire DVR "OS" onboard in the box and it just sees/uses hard drive space like a spare drive in a PC for example?

In other words, no virgin images, no zippers, no PTVUpgrade Instant Cake CDs... ? Just drop in a new drive any time and the box formats it and can see/use the space right away?

If so... very cool. :)

Maybe a software update will address the 'sizes larger than 300GB' issues of time on playback not being displayed correctly if the update adds support for larger drives.

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

Dish DVRs beginning from model 522, then 625, 942 and 622 always works from ROM [ROMFS DishLinux] and use the disk as a storage for schedules, recordings, VODs, logs, etc.

Providers getting smarter with each your attempt to hack STB, DVR ;).

#68 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, does the HR20 somehow have the entire DVR "OS" onboard in the box and it just sees/uses hard drive space like a spare drive in a PC for example?

In other words, no virgin images, no zippers, no PTVUpgrade Instant Cake CDs... ? Just drop in a new drive any time and the box formats it and can see/use the space right away?

If so... very cool. :)

Maybe a software update will address the 'sizes larger than 300GB' issues of time on playback not being displayed correctly if the update adds support for larger drives.

OS is stored on FlashMemory. Not sure of the exact size on the HR20 but IIRC the R15 has 32MB Flash.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#69 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

You mean 32 Mbit, ie 4 MB Flash chip size.

#70 OFFLINE   Dave_S

Dave_S

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

Anyone add multiple drives yet?

#71 OFFLINE   ericlhyman

ericlhyman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

I don't recommend anyone do this unless they own their HR20 and understand that you are on your own as far as D* is concerned so don't call them if you have issues or break your box, you are pretty much toast.

This was intended as a proof of concept for an upgraded hard drive, not intended to be a guide or procedure to do so.

I figured since the SATA port is disabled for the external port, and I had a HR20 that hadn't been activated yet I'd see if I could upgrade the HD.

I opened up the box, unplugged the SATA cable from the internal HD controller and active onboard controller, and plugged in the external SATA cable to controller 1.

I then plugged in my external SATA HD, which I had hoped would just work out of the box, with the external port, powered up and waited. Soon enough, it booted up, I went through the setup menu, activated the device and all is well:

External 300GB SATA HD running off controller 1, internal HD disconnected.

I have HD programs recording for the next 24 hours on
both tuners now to the external SATA HD.

I also have an internal 500GB HD SATA drive on hand which I plan to likely take back and replace with a 750GB SATA drive, as it seems that in all likelihood it should work.

What I don't know:

-If I can take the external SATA drive and plug it into my other HR20, reverse the controller cable, reboot and see the recorded program I have on the drive. (This would allow Sneaker Net for MRV until it becomes available)

-If it requires an unactivated or formated HD to work the first time

-What will happen if I plug the external sata cable back to controller 2 and reboot.

-What will happen if I plug both internal and external sata cables back into the controllers and attach both external and internal drives and reboot.

-If I can use all the space on the HD (300, 500, or 750GB SATA)

-What happens when I reboot the HR20 without the HD attached or powered on

-What happens when I plug the orginal HD back in and reboot.

Interestingly enough, I have not received even the initial software update, I am guessing because I am actively recording on both streams.

I also noticed the sound effects option was not grayed out, so I was able to tab to it, these are the settings for screen navigation volume level. Needless to say, there is no menu sound even though it's accessible, likely why it was grayed out with the initial update.

I am going to wait till I get some more recorded material on these devices and test some of these scenarios out.

Now if D* had just released the box with the external sata port enabled I wouldn't be tinkering. In all likelihood D* is going to enable the external port for expanded space, so my efforts are just to find out if it can be done.

All this is pretty interesting to me and likely explains why the box is so quick, it appears recorded programming is all that's stored on the HD, which is good and bad if this turns out to be true.

I thought this unit was supposed to have an enabled external port so we could easily add a second hard drive without opening the box? Would this just require a software download to enable?

#72 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

I thought this unit was supposed to have an enabled external port so we could easily add a second hard drive without opening the box? Would this just require a software download to enable?

The external port is not currently enabled, and yes a software update can activate it.

#73 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

You mean 32 Mbit, ie 4 MB Flash chip size.

Opps, actually 8MB flash on the R15. (M58LW064D).
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#74 OFFLINE   TekGamer

TekGamer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

Any updates on the 750GB drive testing?

#75 OFFLINE   dtvmiami

dtvmiami

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:45 PM

So the plan is to schedule MPEG2 HD channels for recording (keep till I delete) for at least 125 hours of HD recordings based on a 6GB per hour average.. Recording on two streams around the clock.

Based on these estimates, I should fill the drive up the drive in under 3 days. So by Wednesday I should be able to count up the hours and report back.

Good news on the Seagate is that the internal temperature monitor does work with this drive, so that could confirm SMART is enabled and has specific calls to Seagate drives, as the 500GB Maxtor which had SMART enabled did not register temperature.

And it is a bit quieter than the Maxtor, which is nice.

That's about all, I'll report hours and MyVod "Disk Space" Available in a day or so.

I'm sure u know this already: alot of HR20 current and prospective :group: owners are keeping close tabs on all ur findings. We appreciate what u r testing and of course posting.

With that said, being today is Wednesday, i'd love to hear ur update on that monster 750gb hdd setup u got going on.
Though, I have to admit I got so excited at what ur doing I'll have to re-read all ur posts again. I got lost on whether this is an internal 750 or external. Hopefully i'm not asking too much, but when ur done a nice little tutorial would be lovely. :D And make a great sticky

For me, in order of importance:

1st, i'd take a HR20 HDD upgrade

2nd, the coveted dual buffers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...