Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20: Hard Drive Upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
212 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

I know your just protecting your butt, But I thats why I hate these forums. Because we are all treated like like third world citizens. No Free Flow of Information ! Censorship and big brother telling us what we can talk about. Let the politicians and lawers decide for us. We are just pawns in a big chess game.:rolleyes:

Problem is... once the Politicians and Lawyers get involved.... Forums like this are closed and they never recover.

So for certain topics, we simply can't go down that route.
It has taken years to get this particular forum where it is at today... And years of hard work of those that came before me, and the members that have built this forum to where it is today.... would be gone in a blink.

So at least in this case... this isn't Big Brother persay (in the normal conotation)... this is more of nipping a problem in the bud... before it becomes a problem..

Sorry...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

Gotchaa....
I am very curious about this "Upgrade" test... It will be interesting to see the filesystem it uses. Anyone taking bets? Sounds like the two frontrunners are win32 and NFS..
I doubt that you will be able to pull A recording for archival purposes. Most likely the files are in blobs and or marked using some obscure naming scheme. These are probably cross refrenced to a database stored on the HD.
As far as viewing the files on a PC, I am sure D* will never add that functionality. The reason I say this is that we are told the stream is recorded directly to the HD and only decoded at the time of viewing. In order to allow a person to copy it to a PC, one of two things will have to happen. 1. The streams are decoded and then stored on the HD. 2. D* will have to sell and support decoding hardware and software for PC's..
For now, I just want to know if I can add more Disk space..
But curious about the inner workings as I am a Tech head..

#43 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:19 AM

Gotchaa....
I am very curious about this "Upgrade" test... It will be interesting to see the filesystem it uses. Anyone taking bets? Sounds like the two frontrunners are win32 and NFS..

I'm betting the filesystem is some *ix variant (ext2 or ext3). However, it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's the same as the R15 which will appear as FAT32. There is an outside chance there may be unrecognizable partitions on the drive such as the MFS on Tivo drives.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#44 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

Okay it looks like I am maxed out at 82-83 Hours of HD. All programs are kept till I delete.

Weird things start to happen, for example if I try to record anything now, it doesn't tell me can't do it, it will allow it, as well as displaying it's recording three things at the same time, but I can easily flip through channels without warning of recordings taking place. So I can officially call the drive maxed out.

I wasn't able to get the drive recognized with the SATA card I have other than with Maxtor's diagnostic tools, so no luck. I will see about picking up another card to test out, but for purposes of this layman fill up the drive to the max test, I am done.

When someone can confirm how much HD they can squeeze on a 300GB drive, we should have the definitive answer.

What it appears like is the HD upgrade is possible with a 500GB drive, just drop it in and reboot.

FYI, the Maxtor drive I'm using was $179, has 16MB cache and is a SATA II jumpered to 1.5gb transfer speed. It is a slight bit louder than the Seagate, it does not support AMSET, and while it does have SMART enabled, the internal temperature does not read back to the HR20.

I would recommend looking for a Seagate drive if any of this matters to you, my external Seagate drive did register it's temperature, so there must be some specific call from the OS to the drive to read the status.

#45 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Weird things start to happen, for example if I try to record anything now, it doesn't tell me can't do it, it will allow it, as well as displaying it's recording three things at the same time, but I can easily flip through channels without warning of recordings taking place. So I can officially call the drive maxed out.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the buffer. From what I remember people saying about the R15's buffer it takes it's HD space from the MYVOD part of the HD space not the Showcase part. Maybe something in that logic is making it messup and not letting it know that it's full?
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#46 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Now, How could you tell the drive temp? Hidden menu?

#47 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

Now, How could you tell the drive temp? Hidden menu?

Menu->Setup->System Information->Info

Scroll down, System Temperature.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

<..>I would recommend looking for a Seagate drive if any of this matters to you, my external Seagate drive did register it's temperature, so there must be some specific call from the OS to the drive to read the status.

Would be 750 GB disk from Seagate next candidate ?

#49 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

I am looking at the DB35 series from seagate...

#50 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

I don't see why the 750GB drive would not work.

For me, the price point of $179 for a Maxtor 500GB HD just seemed right. The Seagate 750GB external at Fry's was $479 I believe. It's simple enough to switch ports to use an external drive. I may give it a try, but I am hoping someone else can take up that task, and report back, I've got a bunch of crap to purge now!

#51 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

I've got a bunch of crap to purge now!

While in your MyVod.

Hit Menu->Mark and Delete.

You can Select All, or select just the ones you want to delete.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#52 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

I don't see why the 750GB drive would not work.

For me, the price point of $179 for a Maxtor 500GB HD just seemed right. The Seagate 750GB external at Fry's was $479 I believe. It's simple enough to switch ports to use an external drive. I may give it a try, but I am hoping someone else can take up that task, and report back, I've got a bunch of crap to purge now!

Who would that be Gotchaa? There's only a couple of you out in LaLa land that can even get these beasts. :lol:
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#53 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Who would that be Gotchaa? There's only a couple of you out in LaLa land that can even get these beasts. :lol:

Fine, it's going to have to wait until after labor day!:P

#54 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:55 PM

While in your MyVod.

Hit Menu->Mark and Delete.

You can Select All, or select just the ones you want to delete.

I did this, all except 4 programs, and damn, after 10 minutes screen came up with nothing in my list, and no response from the system. A reboot brought everything back, including the 4 programs I saved.

I love the mark and delete feature (TWP aside)

Just so nobody is confused, all my bug reports in the other thread are with an "out of the box" HR20.

I assume any issues I have with the modified one don't really count since I am tinkering (although I can argue that the drive shouldn't matter, it's not really fair to D*).

#55 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

I may be up for a 750gb swap..
It would be nice if I gould get my hand on a second box.. But I think that is pushing it.

#56 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

I did this, all except 4 programs, and damn, after 10 minutes screen came up with nothing in my list, and no response from the system. A reboot brought everything back, including the 4 programs I saved.

I love the mark and delete feature (TWP aside)

Just so nobody is confused, all my bug reports in the other thread are with an "out of the box" HR20.

I assume any issues I have with the modified one don't really count since I am tinkering (although I can argue that the drive shouldn't matter, it's not really fair to D*).

1) Thank you very much for noting that you "tweaked" the box... I highly recommend to ANYONE that brakes the seal on the back of the box, to forever note that... regardless if you just "look" inside...

2) As for the list... how long did you wait before rebooting? It will take some time to clear out everything....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#57 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

I was reading about the DB35 drives from Seagate that come with the unit.
They may not be readable...
"Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35 Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provised the optional capability to "lock" the drive to the system on which it is installed"

#58 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I was reading about the DB35 drives from Seagate that come with the unit.
They may not be readable...
"Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35 Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provised the optional capability to "lock" the drive to the system on which it is installed"

Sound like the Locked drives that they UTV had. The way around that was to turn on the Unit and then unplug the data cable and the drive was unlocked. The you hooked up the data cable from your PC. (or something along that lines I never did that so I don't remember what it was exactly).
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#59 OFFLINE   Wally_Gator

Wally_Gator

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Sound like the Locked drives that they UTV had. The way around that was to turn on the Unit and then unplug the data cable and the drive was unlocked. The you hooked up the data cable from your PC. (or something along that lines I never did that so I don't remember what it was exactly).

I doubt this is the same technology and it will not work.
Here is the text from their PDF...

"Protect content and intellectual property with digital rights management
As part of a comprehensive digital rights management solution, Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35
Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provides the optional capability to “lock” the drive to the system on which it is
installed. With this feature enabled, only host systems that provide the manufacturer-assigned key to the drive can gain access to
stored information. If the drive is removed, the only possible reuse of the drive involves a full erasure of existing content. In most
cases, DriveTrust technology will serve as an additional layer of content protection, adding to techniques such as data encryption
and conditional access. This offers manufacturers and system designers choice, convenience and security in hard drive-based
products."

#60 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

I doubt this is the same technology and it will not work.
Here is the text from their PDF...

"Protect content and intellectual property with digital rights management
As part of a comprehensive digital rights management solution, Seagate customers can choose to take advantage of the DB35
Series DriveTrust feature. DriveTrust technology provides the optional capability to “lock” the drive to the system on which it is
installed. With this feature enabled, only host systems that provide the manufacturer-assigned key to the drive can gain access to
stored information. If the drive is removed, the only possible reuse of the drive involves a full erasure of existing content. In most
cases, DriveTrust technology will serve as an additional layer of content protection, adding to techniques such as data encryption
and conditional access. This offers manufacturers and system designers choice, convenience and security in hard drive-based
products."

Sounds like it's allot better then the UTV protection with the HW sending the code. That's pretty cool.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...