Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Learning to Love a Cable Guy (Great article)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GOTWIRED?

GOTWIRED?

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

SSSHHHH I was Directv and Comcast Installer for Months and Months all at the same time...Also Did sales for both at the same time...WANNA TALK ABOUT MAKIN SOME CASH!!!!!!!!Still spending the money from the endeavor!!!!!!!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

I must be the exception here, then. I personally love DirecTV's service. I don't have any issues with the DVR (and I have two of them - granted, I'm no power user, but still) - I've hit little nitpicky stuff, but nothing major. And, aside from a bad install experience, which was more of a scheduling issue than a real install issue (which I don't directly throw at DirecTV, although they do contract these guys out), I've only had positive experiences in dealing with them. Customer service is a biggie with me - and I'm more than willing to pay extra for it. I just lots of issues with Comcast. Maybe they've changed. Maybe it's regional. And I can only speak to my personal experiences.

#23 OFFLINE   BillyT2002

BillyT2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

I don't think you're an exception. I believe that there are probably a lot of satisfied customers who are getting what they want, even from the new DVR(s). You've said it yourself, you are not a power user. Most are probably not. You're primary concern is customer support. There is nothing wrong with that.

It just doesn't cut it for me, though. I demand DVR reliability and functionality on a par with or better than what I already have in the HR10-250 TIVO (which could use a boost in the speed department). The NDS DVR(s) are just not what I'm looking for, right now. If they get better, fast, then great. However, I have no faith that they will and ultimately I will move providers if that is what it takes. I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to get what I want and I won't tolerate anything less for very long. It's really just that simple.

#24 OFFLINE   hombresoto

hombresoto

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

[quote name='BillyT2002']Well, that's most likely why I have no problems with looking at other providers. I basically don't care how much money per month I spend on television. I'll pay $5000 per month if they want it and will provide exactly what I'm looking for in terms of content and access. I'm precisely the upper demographic of customer that DirecTV is looking for, but they keep

I am an installer- pay me 5k/mo for service and i'll install, dish, direct, FTA, cable, and whatever else will render a picture on your set and be available 24/7 to maintain it :lol:

#25 OFFLINE   BillyT2002

BillyT2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

I'm not interested in all of those services. You can have them and I can't be bothered to watch live television. Here's exactly what I want. I want a DVR which is 100% as reliable as a DVR with TIVO software on it and is as feature filled as a TIVO with the HMO options on it. Then I want ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, TBS, TNT, USA, Discovery Suite, TLC, Boomerang, SciFi Channel, a Horror Channel, TCM, FX, Fox Movie Channel and the premium movie channel suites in true 1080i high definition and recordable on the DVR and I want it all this year. If you can provide me exactly that then I will provide you exactly $5000 per month and you can come over tomorrow and install it for me.

If you can't provide exactly that, then I'm not interested - thank you anyway. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...