Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tivo 3 Release Rumor

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cjr

cjr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

Per Gizmodo...

Rumor: HD TiVo Series 3, Released September 17 for $799?

http://www.gizmodo.c...-799-197051.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

Which they stole from HD-Beat....

Anyway; I moved the thread from the DirecTV forums...
as the TiVo Series 3 will not natively support DirecTV or Dish... (it will need a secondar receiver at best)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   cjr

cjr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Which they stole from HD-Beat....

Which was originally stollen or may be the same source from an AVS post

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=716163

Hard to say who is first these days.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Rumor: HD TiVo Series 3, Released September 17 for $799?

What does this have to do with the HR20, DirecTV or satellite TV in general???

Obviously, the answer is absolutely nothing.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

What does this have to do with the HR20, DirecTV or satellite TV in general???

Obviously, the answer is absolutely nothing.

Which is why I moved the thread... :D
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   cjr

cjr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

Just another benchmark/data point for all us who are complaining about the HR20.

$399 or sometimes free doesn't look so bad now.

Just trying to help you out Earl.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

Just another benchmark/data point for all us who are complaining about the HR20.

Just trying to help you out Earl.

:) I appriciate the help....

The $799 will be "explained" away but those that don't think it is too much for what they are getting... (but they also need to include the several hundred dollars for the service fee in that)... so it could cost over $1000+ for the Tivo Series 3 (if you get some version of their lifetime, or what ever they have now adays)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

The comparison isn't valid unless TiVo significantly reduces their subscription fees. It is painfully obvious that these fees are primarily a hardware subsidy (and source of fundage for the legal battle war chest).

It would appear that the pricing for the HR20 isn't decided yet. DirecTV would do well to keep pricing out of the hands of customer service. Nothing leaves a bad taste in your mouth like finding out that someone else did a whole lot better.

If you want to compare apples to apples, you need to compare the HR20 to the Dish ViP622. Not the same, but a whole lot closer than something that works best with anything but DBS.

#9 OFFLINE   cjr

cjr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

A purchased unit, should be a purchased unit. A lease needs to be a lease.

D* should lease or just charge a service fee the HR20 for $12.99/month and it would be about a buck cheaper than TWC. Making a fair apples to apples comparison.

Or come up with a 2+ year purchase and upgrade plan like some cellular plans (i.e. you get a new/replacement unit every 2 years for an additional monthly fee).

Corporate is clearly driving the lease/pricing game due to accounting and cash flow issues. What may be good for D* share price is bad for customers.

Tivo is and has been stuck in no man's land with D* and the cable guys between them and the customer. They have been trying to figure out how to get around this for years. Tivo 3 will help a little but the cable guys will eventually cut them out just like D* did. D* and the cable guys want/need the intelligence to be in the network not in a CE device they don't control.

Tivo 3 will be a nice, but expensive, HD OTA DVR in a couple of years for those who purchase it now.

#10 OFFLINE   Fredfa

Fredfa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

On the other hand, I got a second HD TiVo during a special last summar from DirecTV and with credits it actually cost DirecTV $120.

That second unit is the one I am swapping back for the HR20. There is no charge, new dish and installation included.

So it will been totally free, and my original HD TiVo (along with the original dish) will still be able to record -- for the moment at least -- the vast majority of DirecTV offerings.

#11 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

Whatever. I got my Sony HDD 500 already which records HD with a CableCard just great. Granted it is single tuner as opposed to six tuners of this beast. And the user interface isn't TiVo, but who cares? It does everything I need, and I consider a monthly subscription just for a PVR a ripoff. There are monthly subscriptions for programming as it is. I cannot fathom additional monthly subscriptions on top of that for recording functionality.

#12 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

Whatever. I got my Sony HDD 500 already which records HD with a CableCard just great. Granted it is single tuner as opposed to six tuners of this beast. And the user interface isn't TiVo, but who cares? It does everything I need, and I consider a monthly subscription just for a PVR a ripoff. There are monthly subscriptions for programming as it is. I cannot fathom additional monthly subscriptions on top of that for recording functionality.

Just what is that beast? I went to Sony's web site for info and didn't see it anywhere.:confused:

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#13 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

It is a single-tuner DVR for CableCard or OTA with a 500GB HDD for about 60 hours of HD. Uses free TV Guide data broadcast by a local station. Sound & Vision review
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,319 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:17 AM

:new_puppy Oh, I thought the thread title said "Tivo 3 Release Humor" My bad.

Never mind. :whatdidid

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...