Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Basic question regarding purchasing DTV.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bleem22

bleem22

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

I have been thinking about getting rid of my cable service for a long time now. The offer crappy packages for too much money. I had a few questions before I went ahead and got the service with direct tv. Ok here it goes.

Direct TV charges a additional $4.99 for every second, third, fourth...etc receiver that you have correct? Can this be avoided by buying your own receivers and just swapping the programed card? or would you need a new card? I spoke with some installers and they say you still have to pay the $4.99 lease even if you bought the receivers which kind of smells fishy to me but what do I know. I would like to avoid the $120 yearly lease charge for 2 boxes if I can. Can this be done?

Do people who work for DirectTV get family discounts? My Cousin works for DirectTV as a Supervising Customer Service rep but I havent spoken with him in years so if I could get a discount maybe I should call him up :)

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Yes, DirecTV charges $4.99 for a lease fee. If you buy and claim you own the reciever, you'll be charged a $4.99 mirror fee (instead of). Since access cards are tied to recievers (this is so DirecTV can control what brand of reciever you have), you cannot just swap cards.

#3 OFFLINE   ADent

ADent

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

If you only want to watch one at a time you can just install one receiver and run the out to mulitple rooms. Then you need to use one of the IR solutions (or get a UHF remote receiver) to control it.

Same can be done for two receiver at a time, etc.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

I have been thinking about getting rid of my cable service for a long time now. The offer crappy packages for too much money. I had a few questions before I went ahead and got the service with direct tv. Ok here it goes.

Direct TV charges a additional $4.99 for every second, third, fourth...etc receiver that you have correct? Can this be avoided by buying your own receivers and just swapping the programed card? or would you need a new card? I spoke with some installers and they say you still have to pay the $4.99 lease even if you bought the receivers which kind of smells fishy to me but what do I know. I would like to avoid the $120 yearly lease charge for 2 boxes if I can. Can this be done?

Do people who work for DirectTV get family discounts? My Cousin works for DirectTV as a Supervising Customer Service rep but I havent spoken with him in years so if I could get a discount maybe I should call him up :)

Thanks for any help.

If $5 per receiver is too expensive for you stay with cable, better yet see how much your cable system will charge you for a digital box seeing that is what Directv has at each tv.:)

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

The $4.99 a month fee beyond the first receiver is what they charge to "mirror" and provide the programming service to the additional receivers. If the receiver is a leased unit, it shows on your bill as a "lease fee". If the receiver is an owned unit, it shows on your bill as a "mirroring fee". Whichever it is and whatever it is called, it is a monthly charge to provide the programming to each additional receiver and there is no way around it for active receivers beyond the first.

It is not a payment on a lease, per se, as much as it's a programming charge.

#6 OFFLINE   DishSatUser

DishSatUser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

When changing from cable to Satellite, the additional receiver fee's can be shocking to some. That's Basic Cable users though.

Digital Cable subscribers have a different outlook, 4.99? That's cheap.

Example, when purchasing digital cable from Cox, you pay $4.00 lease per month for your first box, then you pay additional fees for each additional "outlet" that needs it's own digital converter. You don't pay that fee for a single receiver with D.

#7 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:49 AM

I have two active recievers: an R15 and a D11 on a Tivo. Both are transmitted to several TVs by a modulator and controlled from the other rooms by IR remote extenders.

We're getting double the digital service and double the DVRs for much less than what cable was charging us.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for any help.

He probably gets a discount but I don't know if they do that for relatives. As a Hughes retiree, I get a $5/month discount. Not much, but it covers the mirroring fee for one of my receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

DishSatUser yea i agree with you with COX and there fees.

look at this chart which compares my pricing for programing and compare that to COX or you local cable company. YOU WILL GET A LOT MORE IN MORE ROOMS FOR LESS W/ D*

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Thats funny, my DVR service fee is $5.99. :confused:

Ian :D
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#11 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

yea i made an error but fact is your still saving VS CABLE.

#12 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:24 AM

Thats funny, my DVR service fee is $5.99. :confused:

Ian :D

I think they raised the price on leased dvr fees. If you have an owned dvr and then add leased dvr(s) you stay with the owned fees.
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#13 OFFLINE   johnzim63

johnzim63

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:10 AM

I think they raised the price on leased dvr fees. If you have an owned dvr and then add leased dvr(s) you stay with the owned fees.

How can you tell for sure if you have "owned" or "leased" equipment? My billing statement doesn't use either word anywhere.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

If you see a monthly lease fee on your statement, they show your equipment as leased. If you see a monthly mirroring fee on your statement, they show your equipment as owned.

Carl

spam firewall