Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Channel Change Reboots

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

942 reboots when I change channels about 50% of the time.
I am running dual mode and this occurs with either remote and on either tuner.
Reboots will occur if I enter a channel manually or if I select a channel from the program guide.
Anyone else seen this ??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

Not at all. Sounds like you may have a power issue. Might want to try a UPS

#3 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

Not at all. Sounds like you may have a power issue. Might want to try a UPS

Random reboots are often a power issue. If it only happens when changing channels, however, it is probably something else.

#4 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Have had a UPS on the system since I got it.
Reboots are not ramom or self initiated. Only happens with a channel change.

I learned the value of a UPS on the Dish receivers when I had a 921.
Kept it for over a year and never experienced any malfunction.

#5 OFFLINE   AmEx

AmEx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

I would try these steps first:

1st- make sure you have a current software version
2nd- see if you can use different remote controll. It could be a broken remote ctr.

#6 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

AmEx-

Do you even have a 942? The things you post indicate that you do not. The software updates are automatic and unavaoidable. You keep posting about checking for latest software like they have a choice and may have neglected the update.

Thank you for trying to help though :)

#7 OFFLINE   AmEx

AmEx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

AmEx-

Do you even have a 942? The things you post indicate that you do not. The software updates are automatic and unavaoidable. You keep posting about checking for latest software like they have a choice and may have neglected the update.

Well, I've been troubleshooting D* receivers for the past 5 years and guess what? I would say 8 out of 10 people had problem with a software version. Some receivers will not update the software version for whatever reason and software is what makes them work as you probably know... and yes, I do have 942 my friend...

#8 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

Current software, yes
UPS, Yes
Unit cool, yes

Reboots occur with either remote, either tuner.
About 1 out of every 5 channel changes.
Reboots occur as a result of direct entry channel change, selecting a channel from the guide, selecting last channel recall.

Oddly enough, it never reboots when it changes channels for a recording or if I set up a timer to change channels.

#9 OFFLINE   AmEx

AmEx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

I would call D* and ask for replacement remote controll... if that does not help, replace your unit...

#10 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

I would call D* and ask for replacement remote controll... if that does not help, replace your unit...

Just a friendly FYI...on these boards D*= DirectTV. E* represents Dish Network.

#11 OFFLINE   AmEx

AmEx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:28 AM

I'm sorry, I meant E*... i was thinking Dish and that's why I put D... sorry for the confusion.

#12 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

I can't see it being a remote control problem.
Slim chance that both remotes would develop the identical problem at the same time.

#13 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

Well, I've been troubleshooting D* receivers for the past 5 years and guess what? I would say 8 out of 10 people had problem with a software version. Some receivers will not update the software version for whatever reason and software is what makes them work as you probably know... and yes, I do have 942 my friend...

That very well may be true with D* receivers (I have no experience with these at all), but with E* I disagree. Because of the way they set the downloads, this is not a normal reason for issues.

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Software versions used to be an issue with older E* IRD's (I had 2 4000's I know all about this issue since those receivers had an option in the menu to ask before downloading), however these newer gereration units have been real good about updating. About the only way to avoid an update is to unplug the receiver every night, but that would cause another problem since the EPG could not get it's update until the receiver gets plugged back in.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall