Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT9 installation question.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wedge40

wedge40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:10 AM

Ok I'm in the process of installing the AT9 I bought.. I know I can have D* come out and install for free, but I'm going to attempt myself first.
This may seem like a stupid question, but the install video on SS says to put all four cables on the LNB before alignment and never touch them again. I was thinking of making four short cables that would just stick out the back a foot or two and then use barrel connectors to hook the runs that will lead into the house.. Is this going to be a problem?
What is the loss of barrel connecter?

Greg

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

High quality barrel connectors should not cause any signal loss. Just be sure they're well sealed to prevent moisture problems down the road.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

Typically, you'll see about a 1/2-dB drop with every coaxial connection you add to the signal path. I would recommend using longer cables and connect them to a grounding block. That way you can connect the cables leading into the house on the other side of the block and have a grounding point for your dish and cables at the same time. The grounding block is basically just a couple of barrel connectors on a mounting bracket.

Get yourself some compression connectors and a compression tool along with a coax cable stripper. You'll be glad you did. Use Coax Seal on all exposed connectors to keep out moisture and prevent corrosion.

#4 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

The reason for cables to be installed and not touched is because they don’t want LNBs disturbed after dish is align. Good quality F barrel connector is minimal loss, not to worry if only 1 in line. Grounding block is best idea and set you up for future.
Claus

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

Use barrel connectors with blue plastic centers not "WHITE".

#6 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

Typically, you'll see about a 1/2-dB drop with every coaxial connection you add to the signal path.

For properly installed connectors (correct connector, correctly prepared cable end & correct crimp ....compression preferred....) the loss will be closer to 0.1 db (1/10th). Ordinarily an insignificant amount, but again assuming good craftsmanship and the right tools.

If you ever have the opportunity to see a 1 Ghz "sweep" of a length of coaxial cable using a time-domain reflectometer (TDR), depending upon the sensitivity of the instrument you may be able to see the effect of a splice if you look close. However, even more enlightening is to see the long-term effect of a very tight bend (i.e., a knot tied in the cable), see the immediate effect (almost negligible) but then look again after an hour or two of it sitting in a blazing hot attic. Equally impressive is to see the effect (again after an hour or so) of the effect of the cable being stapled to a 2x4 stud with an Arrow T-25 staple gun (or any fastening method) that impinges upon the integrity of the circumference of the cable. The TDR will make believers out of the many doubting Thomas' in this group.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#7 OFFLINE   wedge40

wedge40

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Use barrel connectors with blue plastic centers not "WHITE".

Blue. What's the difference in specifications between blue and white?

As far as getting the antenna hooked up.. I dont even have an H20 yet or an HDTV.. So I guess by the time I get around to getting those I'll have to go back up on the roof and tweek things a little.

Greg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...