Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I need advice before I make the switch from T*W*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TimmyDforMVP

TimmyDforMVP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

I am considering taking the plunge from C* to D* after over 10 years because I want more value for my money, and I love the NFL. I have some issues that I need to consider before I make the investment.

1. I get HD local channels OTA, but not via D* as confirmed by the website and a CSR. What is the expected time when most major markets will have locals in HD via the satellite? No one at D* seems to know.
2. I must have a HD-DVR and I am told by D* that they are sending the HR20 not the HR10-250. If they do show up with the HR10-250, can I expect to have them change it (along with the dish) out with no cost when they are more readily available?
3. I have been told that the HR20 will record OTA HD locals, but will the HR10-250 record them on the DVR?
4. How many of the 14 games that the NFL Sunday Ticket includes are in HD? Is there a real need to pay the extra $99 to get the SuperFan?
5. I only plan to use this on one HDTV for now, but I may have several in the next couple of years as costs go down. What is the best way to make sure there are enough leads coming in from the dish?

This forum is excellent and thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TimmyDforMVP

TimmyDforMVP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

Oh, yeah. And does anyone know when the online $150 cash back offer gets applied? Is it your first bill?

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

I am considering taking the plunge from C* to D* after over 10 years because I want more value for my money, and I love the NFL. I have some issues that I need to consider before I make the investment.

1. I get HD local channels OTA, but not via D* as confirmed by the website and a CSR. What is the expected time when most major markets will have locals in HD via the satellite? No one at D* seems to know.
2. I must have a HD-DVR and I am told by D* that they are sending the HR20 not the HR10-250. If they do show up with the HR10-250, can I expect to have them change it (along with the dish) out with no cost when they are more readily available?
3. I have been told that the HR20 will record OTA HD locals, but will the HR10-250 record them on the DVR?
4. How many of the 14 games that the NFL Sunday Ticket includes are in HD? Is there a real need to pay the extra $99 to get the SuperFan?
5. I only plan to use this on one HDTV for now, but I may have several in the next couple of years as costs go down. What is the best way to make sure there are enough leads coming in from the dish?

This forum is excellent and thanks in advance.

Some of my reply is an "educated guess," but:

1. DirecTV plans to add several more markets in HD this year. Here is what they have announced so far:

August
Grand Rapids, Memphis, Portland OR, San Antonio

September
Austin, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Providence, Reno

October
Green Bay, Greensboro, Madison, Portland ME

There is probably room for more on the existing satellites, but they have yet to announce what and when. Additional local markets will be added with new satellites to be launched next year. All of these, plus new nationally-broadcast HD channels will probably require a MPEG4-capable receiver (H20 or HR-20). They will not be compatible with the HR10. Possibly a few MPEG2 HD channels will be added if the LA and NYC MPEG2 locals go away.

2. The HR20 is in the process of being release nationally and will probably be widely available sometime this month. What kind of deals will exist is somewhat of an unknown (some long-term subscribers have reported free upgrades).

3. The HR10-250 WILL record OTA HD signals. Its OTA tuner is not as good as the one in the H20 (nor probably the HR20, although that one is not currently functional).

4. I believe that without the SuperFan package you may only get HD if the broadcast is either national or local to your DMA (i.e., not part of Sunday Ticket).

5. The dish has four outputs. A DVR requires two cables, while a non-DVR receiver requires one. The best way to plan for expansion would be to run four cables from the dish to a central place (attic, basement or crawl space) where you can install a multiswitch (Zinwell WB68, with eight outputs) which will feed all of the receivers. These can be cascaded if necessary. Suitable multiswitches with more outputs should be available soon.

#4 OFFLINE   TimmyDforMVP

TimmyDforMVP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

Do I need to add the OTA HD antenna to my order or use the one I already have? I have a channel master (3'x5') that sits in the attic.

Do D* charge to install additional receivers later on, if I only get the one up front?

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

Do I need to add the OTA HD antenna to my order or use the one I already have? I have a channel master (3'x5') that sits in the attic.

Do D* charge to install additional receivers later on, if I only get the one up front?

I'd keep that--it's a better one than DTV supplies.

#6 OFFLINE   TimmyDforMVP

TimmyDforMVP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

Has anyone heard of D* giving the HD-DVR to new subscribers who get NFL ST and SuperFan?

#7 OFFLINE   Niles

Niles

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:45 AM

Has anyone heard of D* giving the HD-DVR to new subscribers who get NFL ST and SuperFan?

Nope. Only to certain existing customers who want to disconnect NFLST. Mind you if you take the offer you have to keep NFLST for the year and you'll be in a new 2-year contract.

#8 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

You may (probably will) need a separate line from the antenna to the DVR for the OTA antenna.

If you anticipate getting multiple receivers, I would suggest you order them during the initial install. For example, get your HD DVR and 3 regular receivers. Or an HD DVR, an SD DVR and two regular receivers. Then you will get the necessary wiring for all of them. A month later you can turn off the receivers you are not using. You will most likely have to return the receivers (as they are leased), but the wiring will be there for future use.

Carl

#9 OFFLINE   nbpc

nbpc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

I'm in Cincinnati waiting to sign up. Should I have then install the OTA HD or just wait for HD over D*?

spam firewall