Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Use of multiple receivers, one tv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terrapin

terrapin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Just installed the HR20, kept my R10 just in case. I'm wondering how I can use them both on the same tv.

There must be HD switches out there.

Any advice from you experienced folks is much appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Does your TV have multiple inputs? I have a 60" Sony Wega with all of the equipment listed in my sig (as well as a regular DVD player) connected to it (except for the two Philips DVRs which are in my bedroom). The two regular Series 2 TiVo's are connected via a single coax through a separate switch, otherwise I just switch input sources using my TV remote to watch whichever one I want.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Just installed the HR20, kept my R10 just in case. I'm wondering how I can use them both on the same tv.

There must be HD switches out there.

Any advice from you experienced folks is much appreciated.

HR20 -> HDMI or component
R10 -> A/V (RCA-type) connectors

Use your TV's input selection button on the remote.

I'm using my HDVR2 along with my H20 until I upgrade to a HR-20.

#4 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

HR20 -> HDMI or component

Sounds fine

R10 -> A/V (RCA-type) connectors

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. S-video is the best way to go for a non-HD 480i input. Composite video should only be used as a last resort (make that next to last; RF input is definitely the last resort).

#5 OFFLINE   terrapin

terrapin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

Thanks. The tv is a Panny 42 px500U, plenty capable.

JLuc, that's the way I want to go. I run straight from dvr >tv already. I use my avr selectively for sound.

The question for me is getting an unaffected sat signal to both dvr's. What's the best way to do that?

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thanks. The tv is a Panny 42 px500U, plenty capable.

JLuc, that's the way I want to go. I run straight from dvr >tv already. I use my avr selectively for sound.

The question for me is getting an unaffected sat signal to both dvr's. What's the best way to do that?

Two separate cables (either from the dish or a multiswitch) go to each DVR.

#7 OFFLINE   terrapin

terrapin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

Two separate cables (either from the dish or a multiswitch) go to each DVR.

I'm guessing that the new dish is capable of more than two lines out; did I blow it by not having the installer run two more cables down?

The installer thought splitting things would affect the hd signal. Sounds like it would be better to have four rather than two (split) cables out of the dish.

Would you guys recommend a higher end switch to maintain hd signals (should I spring for an hdmi switch) or is a simple multiswitch enough?

#8 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:35 PM

If you connect to three or fewer inputs, you need as many cables run from the dish as you need inputs (i.e if you are only using two inputs, you only need two cables run from the dish).

If you are connecting to four or more inputs, you need all four cables run from the dish. You cannot use two cables from the dish to feed more than two inputs and a multi-switch will not help that. For a multi-switch to work (and if you have the 5LNB dish, you will need to be using a Zinwell WB68 switch), you need to connect all four cables from the dish to the switch. Anything less than four will cause you problems in not picking up all the signals.

#9 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:39 PM

Did you leave the R10 connected when they installed your HR20? If you left it active, the installer should have run the four cables - maybe not a switch, but should have run the four cables. If that's the case, they should do the additional two runs for free.

If you deactivated the R10 (replaced the R10 with the HR20), then two cables was sufficient for your set up. If that is the case, you could call D* and see if they will do the additional two cable runs since the install just took place. They may or may not do it for free, though, if the end result of the HR20 work order was still just one DVR active.

#10 OFFLINE   terrapin

terrapin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:15 AM

Tha is exactly the info I need. Many thanks, JLuc. May the Federation prosper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...