Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

BeachAudio.com - HR20 in stock for $248.99 !!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
154 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   toy4two

toy4two

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Why does everyone want to get one of these units so quickly (with all of the complaints on this site regarding digital audio drop outs, unit freezing, inaccurate playback during recordings, etc). What reason is there to be an early adopter on this thing when the HR10-250 works so well (albeit slow) for now? Also, why are people willing to spend nearly $300 now when they can get it later for a lot less if not free?

Am I missing something here?

Why do I want it?

Because I have no DVR at all.

Because it gets MPEG4 here in San Diego that is live.

Because it is made by PACE (best STB out of all I tried renting from TWC)

Native resolution, I can't stand watching 480i poorly scaled to 1080i, SD looks horrible plus you can't use my TV's smart stretch at 1080i.

I don't have any surround sound so the audio glitch doesn't effect me, the only downside for me is the lack of OTA :nono2:

Cost is not really an issue, $250 is a fair price in my opinion, now if it was $1000 I would say no freaking way, that is just a waste of money.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

I decided to bite the bullet and get one just to see what it's all about. I won't be giving up my HR10-250's anytime soon, however. The UI may be slow but I've been living with three of them for so long now that I hardly notice anymore. I certainly don't see it as a legitimate reason to drop the HR10 in favor of the HR20. The HR10 (or any DTV DVR) wasn't meant for channel surfing so if that's your bag, stick with a standard receiver.

I've never been a fan of UTV's for several reasons. I used to have three of them so my opinion is based on extensive firsthand experience with them. I'm not sure how a discussion of UTV's fits this thread but since it ws mentioned I believe that opens the door for my 2 cents on the subject.

1. Developed and tanked by Microsoft. That alone is enough reason to stay clear of them.
2. Drive upgrades are easy but extremely limited. The sky's the limit for an HDTivo.
3. Absolutely no way to upgrade them with special features like you can with a Tivo.
4. The monthly UTV fee is about double the fee for a Tivo-based DTV DVR and also the new DTV DVRs.
5. The UTV user interface was much easier to use than a Tivo. Think of it as a DVR for dummies. Not a bash as I rather preferred the UI of a UTV over most DVRs I've used.

I only purchased the HR20 to test the waters. I won't see any benefit from using it for a couple of years. I already get more HD locals with the HR10-250 than I'll ever get in mpeg4 (currently 14 OTA vs. 4 from DTV). The local RSN in mpeg4 may be something I'd watch on occasion but it certainly wasn't the driving point to own the HR20.

Furthermore, I live in the city and I can't pickup all of my channels at once with that OTA receiver because all of the signals come from different directions. I have to move my antenna based on what I want to watch.

While this may not sound like an attractive solution for you I have found it to work for me. I'm in a similar situation where I can get locals from both Baltimore and DC but the towers are in opposite directions. I just put up two UHF antenns pointed in each direction and then combined the outputs of both antennas into a single cable using a standard UHF/VHF splitter/combiner. Since the antennas are pointed away from each other there is no danger of picking up multipath interference from channels being picked up by both antennas.

#23 OFFLINE   laxcoach

laxcoach

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

...I just put up two UHF antenns pointed in each direction and then combined the outputs of both antennas into a single cable using a standard UHF/VHF splitter/combiner. Since the antennas are pointed away from each other there is no danger of picking up multipath interference from channels being picked up by both antennas.

My plasma TVs work with that setup. The HR10 can't tune with it. The signal meter will jump between 1% and 95% every other second. What's worse, if a heavy truck rumbles by, which I can't feel, I lose signal on my one constant station.

As to slowness on the HR10, the problem isn't changing channels. It's the navigation in general. There is no excuse for the guide to take 3-5 seconds to scroll down when you are tuned to a HD channel.
I wasn't always a superstar. I used to be a boring old cup. Why would anyone make a show about something you throw away? But things change my friend. Money rolls in like waves lapping on the shore.

#24 OFFLINE   kencc

kencc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Just ordered 1 from Beach I have AT9 dish I called D* to make it short I ended up with coupon for$150. & $10. off per month for 1 year. Had to bitch a little.

#25 OFFLINE   Tim Sly

Tim Sly

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

So since you bought this from BeachAudio, do you own the unit or is it still leased?? I heard the HR20s were all going to be leased.

#26 OFFLINE   BillyT2002

BillyT2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

Okay - fair enough - thanks for answering my questions and I wasn't trying to disuade anyone from buying the unit. I was merely trying to guage why people are paying big money for it, in it's current condition.

As a matter of fact, you all have pursuaded me into trying it. MPEG-4 HD locals will be coming to Maine from DirecTV this Fall or so I'm told. We don't really get OTA HD to speak of where I live, very easily. So, I called DirecTV retention today and my HR20-700 will be installed on 9/18/2006 and I get to keep my HR10-250 as well. The installer will just need to run one more RG-6 line and I'll be a four tuner household. Because I'm not sure I trust the NDS software in its current state, I'll be mirror all programming that I request to record in HD on the HR20 to also record in HD when possible or SD when not possible on the HR10. That way, I will miss hopefully no recordings.

Thanks again for the answers to my question.

#27 OFFLINE   wirelessbk

wirelessbk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

So, for all of you that have purchased your HR20 from BeachAudio.com, what is the typical estimated delivery date you have received? Are they shipping the HR20's as of Tuesday or just taking the orders now and shipping them later this month like BB and VE?

#28 OFFLINE   Tim Sly

Tim Sly

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

Just ordered mine from Beach. It said 2-3 business day shipping to my zip code in Minnesota.
I called D* retention and she had to look at my account and situation and she said it is different what they can offer a person depending on their situation. I currently have two HR10s and she said she could give me $150 off when I activate the HR20 since I wanted to buy it at an outside retailer. I wasn't able to get it from D* yet but was supposed to be able to get it in a few weeks if supplies are there. I didn't want to wait cause the Vikings will soon be playing and I need the HD locals to get the games in HD. So for $250 plus $150 off it is not a bad deal. While I was on the phone I also set up an install date of Sept 16th Which will be free and they will give me a free AT9 dish. Hope the receiver gets here on time or I will have to delay the install. Can't wait. I have been waiting many years to get my local NFL team in HD!

#29 OFFLINE   ktabel01

ktabel01

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

So, this is the same exact receiver that is listed on Bestbuy.com? Looks to be the way to go. thanks everyone

#30 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

Are they shipping them now or are they waiting till the 13th like everyone else?

#31 OFFLINE   DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Legend

• No PM's
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:55 AM

Are they shipping them now or are they waiting till the 13th like everyone else?

I would assume the earliest ship date for any retailer is 9/13, BB may beat it bay a day or two.

-Robert

#32 OFFLINE   Tim Sly

Tim Sly

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

I don't know, it says it ships in 2-3 business days to my zip on my order and they are in stock. I don't know why they wouldn't ship them out this week.

#33 OFFLINE   sonofjay

sonofjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

I don't know, it says it ships in 2-3 business days to my zip on my order and they are in stock. I don't know why they wouldn't ship them out this week.

Because DirecTV won't allow them. They are giving Bestbuy a 10 day "exclusive" so no other dealers are allowed to ship before the 9/13. Time will tell if BeachAudio follow DirecTV's rules but its in their best interest play nice with D*.

#34 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

Cite your sources on this information.

Besides, 10 days for $150+ savings. I'll take that anyday.

Because DirecTV won't allow them. They are giving Bestbuy a 10 day "exclusive" so no other dealers are allowed to ship before the 9/13. Time will tell if BeachAudio follow DirecTV's rules but its in their best interest play nice with D*.

#35 OFFLINE   sonofjay

sonofjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

n/m

#36 OFFLINE   sonofjay

sonofjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

Cite your sources on this information.

Besides, 10 days for $150+ savings. I'll take that anyday.

Cited as you demanded:

http://www.dbstalk.c...32&postcount=51

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat100300050002

"Available Only at Best Buy!"

and its 10 days and $50 in savings....but you're free to shop where ever you want.

#37 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

hmm... Bestbuy is $440 after tax and shipping. Beach Audio is $248 + $5 shipping.

Break out your calculator, Sherlock. "Avalible only at Best Buy" is a lie. All the people who have it installed already didn't get it at Best Buy, I assure you.

Cited as you demanded:

"Available Only at Best Buy!"

and its 10 days and $50 in savings....but you're free to shop where ever you want.

#38 OFFLINE   sonofjay

sonofjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

hmm... Bestbuy is $440 after tax and shipping. Beach Audio is $248 + $5 shipping.

Break out your calculator, Sherlock. "Avalible only at Best Buy" is a lie. All the people who have it installed already didn't get it at Best Buy, I assure you.

Listen, I'm not going to argue with you as you already know it all apparently. But the price on the HR20 has been reduced by DirecTV and is currently being offered for $299+shipping (no tax) so the $50 delta stands. (except at best buy that is). And why demand sources for a Best Buy Only exclusive if you are just going to call it a lie? I'd ask you to cite your sources on this "lie conspiracy" but I know you do not have any.

Anyway if you want to continue to show off your ignorance then have at it, but I'll leave it to others in here to point it out to you.

#39 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

Where in your sources does it say "10-day Best Buy" exclusive? Not even in Robert's post does it mention it, he mentions it might be due to software still being developed.

How can you say there is an "exclusive" when no one has even received it from Best Buy, but others sure have it installed already - an "exclusive" means it is ONLY (your bolding) at Best Buy - not true, aka a LIE.

Clearly, your mention of Best Buy's "exclusive" must take in to account their price. If you are saying it's 10 days and $50 that's incorrect since others have it for $299 but they have to wait to ship it according to your "exclusive" theory.

So it's either 10 days and $150 or 0 days and $50.

Listen, I'm not going to argue with you as you already know it all apparently. But the price on the HR20 has been reduced by DirecTV and is currently being offered for $299+shipping (no tax) so the $50 delta stands. (except at best buy that is). And why demand sources for a Best Buy Only exclusive if you are just going to call it a lie? I'd ask you to cite your sources on this "lie conspiracy" but I know you do not have any.

Anyway if you want to continue to show off your ignorance then have at it, but I'll leave it to others in here to point it out to you.

#40 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

I'd ask you to cite your sources on this "lie conspiracy" but I know you do not have any.

My source : frappr.com/hr20deployments

NONE of these people bought from the Best Buy "exclusive"

I shall wait.

spam firewall