Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tallest pole for installation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

What is the tallest pole-mount pole that you guys have used for mounting the satellite dish?

I am desperately trying to get some installation done and since I cannot get a good line of sight from my porch, I am planning to work with my neighbor who lives on a lower floor, but has unrestricted space above their porch. I was thinking of putting a long pole and get the dish mounted there and just pass the cable through my bedroom window using a flat cable.

The question is, stability-wise what is the limit of the height of the pole?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

First I would ask if you own or rent as I doubt if you rent they would allow a tall pole with stability wires as they are ugly and might need to be bolted into the side of the house. It would need to be properly grounded too and you might be able to run the cable out the window to the dish but it still has to be grounded to the ground. Your also going to need to be able to reach the dish easily after it is mounted to do the signal adjustments.

I have seen approx. 20 foot high mountings but they look ugly and have 3-4 stability wires on the sides. I would think they would be very erratic on the signal level during storms and on windy days.

I would ask about a chimney mount if you have one. My parents have one and the special installation kits are very sturdy and then you might be able to get by with no pole or a 6' one.

#3 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

First I would ask if you own or rent as I doubt if you rent they would allow a tall pole with stability wires as they are ugly and might need to be bolted into the side of the house. It would need to be properly grounded too and you might be able to run the cable out the window to the dish but it still has to be grounded to the ground. Your also going to need to be able to reach the dish easily after it is mounted to do the signal adjustments.

I have seen approx. 20 foot high mountings but they look ugly and have 3-4 stability wires on the sides. I would think they would be very erratic on the signal level during storms and on windy days.

I would ask about a chimney mount if you have one. My parents have one and the special installation kits are very sturdy and then you might be able to get by with no pole or a 6' one.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I rent currently and part of the reason I have had to think about such ideas is because the apartment manager does not want us to use the roof and I presume that includes the chimney. If I could do that, it would be the easiest way to get the installation.

But if a tall pole needs stability wires bolted to the walls then it is again out of the question for me.

Has anyone used Window Caddy for mounting their dish on the window?

#4 OFFLINE   sonofjay

sonofjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

I used at 10 ft pole held in a bucket of cement with no stability wires. It was using the old 18" round dish so it only had to point to one satellite. During high winds the pole would sway, but the bucket which I also tied down did not move at all. The swaying did not affect the signal at all. I'm not sure if it was because it was a single round dish pointing at one sat or if the error correction was better then.

#5 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:36 AM

Why not have an installer come out and see what they would recommened ?
They might charge $50, thats what it is around here, but thats usually refundable if you use them for installation.

You could also just order something from DirecTV that comes with free installation and see what they recommend when they come. I am certain there would be an extra cost involved but you can always refuse that and then get a refund for the equipment.

#6 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

Why not have an installer come out and see what they would recommened ?
They might charge $50, thats what it is around here, but thats usually refundable if you use them for installation.

You could also just order something from DirecTV that comes with free installation and see what they recommend when they come. I am certain there would be an extra cost involved but you can always refuse that and then get a refund for the equipment.

I have called two different DirecTV installers and I have had a forgettable experience with them. The first one did not even come up to my apartment, forget about thinking outside the box! The second one came and spent 3 hrs trying to get signal when it did not really exist.

I did contact an installer from craigslist, and am trying to work with him. Let's see if he has any other bright ideas.

#7 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

I used at 10 ft pole held in a bucket of cement with no stability wires. It was using the old 18" round dish so it only had to point to one satellite. During high winds the pole would sway, but the bucket which I also tied down did not move at all. The swaying did not affect the signal at all. I'm not sure if it was because it was a single round dish pointing at one sat or if the error correction was better then.

Thanks, that's very positive to know. I don't think I need more than 10 foot pole. And for the most part, I don't need more than one dish. So let me try that and see how it goes.

spam firewall