Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer trouble...leaky/hole in roof

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fedupwithinstallers

fedupwithinstallers

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:28 AM

I've had so much trouble with installers that I'm now going to cancel service within one month of signing up. First installer showed up and was too lazy to do the job and made excused about running cable into the house and said I had to do it myself and he left 5 minutes later. Second installer had trouble aligning the satellite and blamed line of sight as the problem, but said he couldn't move the dish higher on the roof or to a different location. I've now confirmed that line of sight isn't a problem and somebody is set to come out here on Monday to fix the alignment. This is a 3 lnb dish and they didn't even both to run all 4 cables, only 3. The signals on almost all transponders are in the low to mid 70s with some in the 40s and 50s. With the slightest wind or rain, we lose the signal. Now the kicker, Hurricane Ernesto comes rolling through last night and as I lay in bed to go to sleep I notice drooping drywall and a nice long wet spot along the drywall tape joint. My wife says...that was right were they installed the dish. I had to get into the attic and sure enough, it appears they attempted to install the dish and hit a joist and then moved it a foot to the right. Where they originally attempted to install the dish, there's a hole that appears to be sealed, another hole with water running right through it and the third hole is on the joist and the entire joist is soaking wet with water running down it and pooling at the bottom. By this point, you can imagine how pissed off I was. After drying up as much as possible and placing towels and a plastic container to catch the dripping water, I called them to complain. They're now sending someone out to "look" at the damage, but not fix it. I'll then need to take pictures and get a professional estimate and mail it to them. What a bunch of crap. I assume this isn't normal practices for installers, but does anyone have advice on the best way to get this resolved? The dish is on roof of 3rd story townhouse, so me getting up there to seal/patch/fix the holes is out of the question. Thoughts/ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

I would think that they should send someone VERY SOON (today!) to at least plug the holes that are left there. Sending someone out to "look" at the damage will confirm to them that their installer screwed up (again, they should plug the remaining holes so damage doesn't get worse!). I think that YOU taking pictures and getting an estimate is in YOUR best interest as I would not want to rely on them to get things done right. Keep receipts as all of the expenses should be paid by them.

You certainly don't want the installation company trying to fix the damage. But make sure that between them and D* the damage gets fixed properly and timely and that you bear none of the expense.

#3 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

You say you called "them". If that means the installer, I wouldn't hold my breath. You should make sure D* knows of your situation and commits to remedying it TODAY.

spam firewall