Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New! I need help! installation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newtosat22485

newtosat22485

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

2 parts,,,, part 1- I had directv come over two months ago to do an install of a 5 lnb dish. I was told that the only place that it could be put would knock out all the other dishes in the area by pulling the signal away from them, to my knowledge i thought the dish caught the signal not actually pulled it any info or insight would help.

part 2 I was in the process of builing a deck they said when it was up have them come back out and maybe they could do something. I want to be prepared this time I have a compass so i'd like to know what sattelites. This will actually be pointing at my zip is 04210 my lat is 44.0965 my long is -70.2571 there are so many dishes in my area I find it hard to believe I am the only one who cant recieve sattelite thank you ps I have time warner cable at the moment it hate my service please help:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

Part 1: Total BS. Not true. They just need to find a spot where your 5-LNB dish can "see" all 5 satellite locations.

Part 2: This web site provides the aiming information you need ....
http://www.emantechn...m/lookangle.asp
The DirecTV satellites are at 99-deg W, 101-deg W, 103-deg W, 110-deg W, and 119-deg W.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

Being in Maine, your elevation is quite low, especially to the 119 sat. This could cause a problem finding a clear line of site.

The sucking of the signal is just plain stupid.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

"I was told that the only place that it could be put would knock out all the other dishes in the area by pulling the signal away from them"

God I wish I had that installer here so I could laugh at him, that's just funny.

#5 OFFLINE   newtosat22485

newtosat22485

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Thanks thats what I thought. now as for elevation where is elavtion actually from? if you are on top of a roof, or on the ground the 0-45 dgree would be different correct? also if i got a 3 lnb dish instead of a 5 could that make all the difference?

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

Thanks thats what I thought. now as for elevation where is elavtion actually from? if you are on top of a roof, or on the ground the 0-45 dgree would be different correct? also if i got a 3 lnb dish instead of a 5 could that make all the difference?

Nope, the elevation angle is the elevation angle, regardless of whether you're on the ground or on your roof. So, if your elevation angle to a particular satellite is 25-deg, that's the angle you need to check for line-of-site. Usually being on a roof makes it easier because you already have a height advantage, making it easier to site over trees or other buildings.

It's not necessarily any easier with the 3-LNB dish. The 3-LNB dish needs to "see" the 101-deg, 110-deg and 119-deg satellite. The 5-LNB adds the new higher frequency satellites at 99-deg and 103-deg. Those new satellites are pretty close to the 101-deg satellite, so it's usually pretty easy to site those satellites if you have a clear view of 101-deg.

Hope that helps.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...