Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Email

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

D* just sent me the following email:

Revolutionize your DIRECTV experience

The wait is over! The DIRECTV Plus HD DVR (Model HR20) — with cutting-edge MPEG-4 HD recording technology — has arrived. Through our exclusive partnership with Best Buy, you can lease the HD DVR right now at www.bestbuy.com.

Now is your chance to be among the first to experience DVR technology at its best.

KEY FEATURES OF THE HR20
300 GB SATA internal hard drive

Up to 200 hours of SD programming

Up to 50 hours of MPEG-4 HD programming

2 Satellite Tuners

HDMI, Component, S-video, and Composite Output

Image displays ranging from
480i to 1080i

They want $399 fot it. I think that's ridiculous! I've been a customer for 9 years. I'm going to wait and see if I can get a better deal, possibly a swap out. What do you guys think?:confused:
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

Wait til the national roll out when you can actually order them directly from Directv or see if you can get retention to give you credits to offset the cost, I saw someone managed to do that today.

#3 OFFLINE   loudog2

loudog2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:07 AM

I called d** today. I guess this was a mistake, and should not have been sent. I live in chicago. The hr20 should not be here til fall. D** told me they would have to honor it. They are sending me a hr20 free, install sheduled in 3 weeks.

#4 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

i got this email also today and i'm in ft lauderdale. is it officially out nationally or is this just a mass email mistake?

#5 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

I rec'd the email, last night. Just got off the phone [which was complex -- Skype Beta for OS X incl. video handles a PBX even worse than the last Gold edition]. Ended up dialing in direct to Retention.

Their software wasn't set-up to handle a freebie; so, the CSR got permission from her super to run the "lease" as a 3-month payment for $299 total -- and, then, credited back the 3 payments. Says they shouldn't show up on my bill and gave me her badge# to call back if there's a problem.

Should mention I'm a Lifer w/D* -- since month #3 -- and have always been an early adopter w/them.

Mpeg4 hasn't started in my DMA [Albuquerque]; but, she said they want to get the HR20's rolled out and in place asap. Appointment is for tomorrow morning. She also said she'll believe that -- someday -- and gave me the number for the install outfit to check, tomorrow morning. They're backordered most locations, already. She said to figure on a reschedule. Which is OK.

I'm keeping my HR10. The installer is supposed to move it another room for me. Of course, I'm looking forward to doing battle on every step because I won't let someone else get their grubby fingers into my living room electronics. For the HR20 or the HR10.

Tried to weasel a free re-install of the P3 dish on the guest house; but, didn't win that one. Already have a 1-meter dish w/2lnb's over there with my old SD DVR.

Putting the HR10 there will give me an excuse in a year or so -- when 1080p is common -- to upgrade the LR set and move the existing over to the guest house. Tee hee.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

#6 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:54 AM

Well, he's up there on the ladder as I write this note. Nice dude. 1000 miles from home with his crew because NM D* can't keep up with demand.

Checked his truck even before he unloaded. It's the lumpy [not slimline] 5 lnb dish and he had the one HR20 in his truck -- along with several more HR10's for folks just climbing on board, I guess.

And we've already "made an arrangement" for him to put the P3 over on the guesthouse hooked up to the HR10. Now, my father-in-law will get CCTV9 biz news from China when he's visiting. And I have a head start on upgrading EVERYTHING a couple years down the road.

#7 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

Bah, humbug! DOA.

Gonna resched for next week with a new box.

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,858 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

On Wednesday, I spoke to a CSR at DirecTV who told me that the HR20 was not available. I told him it was on the website, and it said "Order Now". He didn't know what to say, but that he still couldn't order it for me... and signed me up for E-Mail to tell me when it was released.

On Wednesday, the website had the option of a HD DVR, but it was not specific as to which HD DVR. The same thing was on there yesterday, but today it has a big red starburst saying "NEW", and it clearly states that it is the DirecTV + HD DVR... yet I still have not received an E-Mail... should I call?

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

The HR20 is offically out nationwide
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...