Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

is the 3-LND dish more prone to rain fade...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

than the basic 1-LNB dish? Ever since this thing was installed any rain or even a cat pissing on it knocks the signal out.

It looks like all sat and trans have a signal of 88 or better with some at 98-100!

Anything I can do to make it better?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:16 PM

There is a Channel Master 3-LNB dish you can buy for $150. It is quite a bit bigger, and I guess you would have to install it yourself or pay someone.

It does seem to me that the Phase III dish is more sensitive to rain fade than single-sat dishes I have had in the past, or even my 2-sat Dish 500.

Mine is mounted on a wall and my dogs can't pee that high.

#3 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSpringsteen Country

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

I switched from E to D about 6 weeks ago and was using the E dual LNB dish 500. Now I am using the D multi dish in the same place and there doesn't seem to be much difference. I live on the NJ coast and today it has been pouring due to what was left of a tropical storm that came up from Florida. Despite the 50 mi per hr wind gusts and heavy rain I only lost the signal for a few seconds which wasn't even long enough to generate a searching for signal display. In clear weather my readings on 101 are in the 80's and 90's with one 100. Right now I have readings as low as 50 and as high as 95 due to the adverse weather conditions, but my main spot beams are 4,12,20 on 101, reading 88,94,95 and I'm not losing anything.

Ian
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#4 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

That was a joke, you know ;-)

We had a huge strom today the signal was out for 10-15 min. Yes it's happend on the round dish before, but those were like crazy rain storms.

The old SD TiVo is hooked up the the old dish and the signal went out for maybe 30 sec.

Man, I am glad I have OTA HD signal! That would suck during a Dolphin/Hurricane game :eek2:

I will look into that dish if i don't go to the 5-LNB when I upgrade to the HR20-700

Maybe next year, they will have a 5-LNB version!

#5 OFFLINE   GregStanfield

GregStanfield

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

I would check the alignment of the dish. I have the Phase III Dish on my system and have had excellent results. The only time I loose signal is when it is raining like pooring piss out of a boot. My signal levels are between 96-100 on all active transponders on the 101 & 119. 110 is around 92-95. The 101 is just as high if not possibly 2-3% higher than on the standard 18"

#6 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

The alignment is fine on my dish. It was only installed a month ago and readings on some transponders are 100.

It could just be coincidence that mine seems to lose signal more often than the old dishes. I have been at work every time it has happened so far so I'm not totally sure of the weather. Maybe we've had worse weather at my house than I thought.

It has also been determined that the R15 receivers need more signal than the non-DVR D11s, because the R15s drop out sooner and stay out longer, even when attached to the same dish.

#7 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

If you are getting a lot of wind during storms and there are trees in your dish sights, their movement may be a factor in blocking some of you signal at that time.

Ian

#8 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

well i don't know if its the dish or not but i know i have even more rain fade problems now that i have 3 R15's. as soon as a storm comes i have the searching message. when i had and old samsung receiver, and 2 RCA receiver connected the rain fade was rare.

#9 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

well i don't know if its the dish or not but i know i have even more rain fade problems now that i have 3 R15's. as soon as a storm comes i have the searching message. when i had and old samsung receiver, and 2 RCA receiver connected the rain fade was rare.

:eek2:

That's interesting. I have two R15's and two D10's and I haven't noticed any difference between them.

Ian

#10 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

All of the Multi-Sat dishes are a compromise.
My Avatar (photo at left) may give you some idea of the alternative....
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...