Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

dish pointing help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkclpc

jkclpc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

I picked up a phase III dish for a portable tailgating setup and set it all up today to make sure it worked. I am getting 93 on satellite 110 but nothing on 119 or 101. I have hooked and unhooked and realigned until I am ready to beat it with a hammer. What am i doing wrong????
thansk, Kevin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

I hate to ask the dumb question, but when you went through the set up process, you did tell it you had a 3LNB versus standard round dish, correct?

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:03 PM

It's all about aiming and alignment. With the 3-LNB Phase III dish it's very easy to aim at the wrong satellite and be fooled because the receiver's signal meter just tells you a signal, not that it's the right one.

What sort of alignment tools and signal meters are you using?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   jkclpc

jkclpc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

It's all about aiming and alignment. With the 3-LNB Phase III dish it's very easy to aim at the wrong satellite and be fooled because the receiver's signal meter just tells you a signal, not that it's the right one.

What sort of alignment tools and signal meters are you using?

I picked up an Accutrac22 and began with the "stock" settings using a compass. I have switch on the 22khz switch and using two leads at a time from the LNBs.

Admitedly this is the first time i have tried to tune in a phase III or use the signal meter so could be operator error. I am open to any suggestions or tricks to properly get this going before the game tomorrow.

And yes, it is set to the correct dish type in setup menu:)

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,907 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

Most likely pointing error.

Check channels 490, 491, 492, 493 and 494. If you are properly aimed, all of those should give you a banner showing the satellite and polarity.

You might be aimed at 101 instead of 110. The 3-LNB dish needs to be pointed at the 110 satellite.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...